Sojos + Meat No Bone Complete???

Kodiak

I am playing around with one raw feeding per day and continuing Kibble in the morning. Right now I am using Sojo's Original Mix and BRB Puppy Mix (3 feedings so far) I am not having much luck finding any information as to whether its ok to use a mix with bone & organs with this premix. I have reached out to Sojos and have not received a response. I did see that the premix contains calcium, do you think I am overdoing the calcium? I will also be alternating with lean beef (no bones and organs). No one panic additional proteins will be added when I know the tummies are all good :) I am concerned about calcium as I am feeding a 6 month old puppy currently weighing 38 pounds.

I guess from reading the Sojos ingredients I just dont see how it could be complete without organs etc.

Ashley

Doberluv

I would say stop playing around with raw and ditch the kibble and go with a natural raw diet so that you can balance things out better. Get your own stuff, a large variety of meats, bones (not weight bearing bones) and both liver and other organ meat. You absolutely need organs. You want to give about 10% of the diet as organ meat, 5% of which will be liver. Beef liver or chicken, though beef is probably more nutritious. I use both. I get spleen, which comes attached to the raw green tripe I get (amazing stuff) lamb and beef kidney as well as liver from a couple animals. And then about 80% muscle meat. I keep a bag of Nature's Variety commercial raw in my freezer for times when someone else is taking care of my dogs or if I failed to thaw something, as this stuff thaws fast.

I recommend you get on a raw feeding forum and get some more advice from people more experienced. I've only just started doing this a couple months ago. You're suppose to introduce things gradually. I didn't go too gradually but didn't have issues too much. I started out feeling over whelmed. It was daunting to me. I was haunted by worries of not getting the ratios right, too much or too little calcium etc etc. It's been about 2.5 months and you know what? I feel like a pro. Everything became routine and much easier. It's fun to feed this way, comforting to know what my dogs are getting. After much research I decided commercial food is not good and my dogs are doing remarkably well.

At first I was having a little trouble with consistency. It's hard to feed little dogs in a way that keeps them on an even keel. Finally, instead of the usual advice to not worry about getting each meal balanced, but balanced over time, I began striving to make each meal balanced with the 80/10/10 ratio. That was the ticket. So they get a small (10%) piece of bone...mostly chicken neck or wings, small bit of rabbit bones, fresh sardine and mackerel and the bones included twice a week. (they need this for omegas and iodine) Plus a fish oil supplement on days they don't eat fish. They get 10% of their meal in organ meat, alternating liver and another organ meat. And they get 80% muscle meat, including a little raw green tripe at each meal which is NOT what you find in grocery stores. I ordered mine and the sardines, among a few other things from Hare Today, Gone Tomorrow...a supplier of this stuff. Anyhow, by balancing out each meal fairly close to the 80/10/10 ratio, it's worked much better for us.

Hopefully someone more experienced will chime in with some better advice for you. Happy feeding. I see Natural Fed Dogs is on this forum. She/he helped me a lot on another forum.

Doberluv

Hi Natural fed dogs. Bet you couldn't tell it was me, Poodlebeguiled on the raw food forum. LOL. I joined this forum long before I had the Poodles. I wonder if the OP will ever see these posts. I wonder why people post and then never come back. :popcorn: Oh well...nice seeing you!

Kodiak

I sorta stopped checking after a few days with no replies and a busy schedule. I would love to feed 100% prey model raw, at this time I am not able to buy in larger quantities as an extra freezer is not an option. I'm only able to store to a few days of meals for two dogs. I figure some raw is better than no raw, if done correctly. Off to do more reading :)

naturalfeddogs

love the fluff
Hi Natural fed dogs. Bet you couldn't tell it was me, Poodlebeguiled on the raw food forum. LOL. I joined this forum long before I had the Poodles. I wonder if the OP will ever see these posts. I wonder why people post and then never come back. :popcorn: Oh well...nice seeing you!
lol! Hey! I know you have been here a long time but didn't know it was you!! That's awesome! :D

Doberluv

LOL Jenny. Fancy meeting you here, huh?

Say, Kodiak...I think some is better than nothing too. Just feed at separate meals. Or you might have to go shopping often. I hope you can get a freezer soon. That really helps. I think it's great that you're doing some reading. It's really important. But I'm finding that once you get into a rhythm, it becomes easy and actually fun. And your dogs will love it. Glad you came back and would love to hear how things work out for you. Come visit the other place too, for some more concentrated advice about this one subject.

Kodiak

Thank you so much. I am feeding Vital Essentials right now while I'm learning. So far the girls are doing great! I am still feeding Kibble in the morning. I really want to educate myself before trying to source and balance myself. I really appreciate the referral to other forums.

Doberluv

Great! I don't get on this forum much anymore. It seems to have gotten really slow. But I'm glad I popped in and saw your thread here. I hope one day you can get a small freezer at least and find a few more items. Freezers are great because you can wait until you see a good deal on something, then buy and store it. Good luck to you. ;)

Members online

No members online now.