sleeping outside

Status
Not open for further replies.

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
plus as for pips chain, i dont think you realize WHY she has a big chain on, which in fact is not that heavy at all! She is extremely good at breaking chains. Been through tons of them.
No wonder. I'd try to escape if I was in Pip's situation, too. :rolleyes:

One of my latest rescues, an Alaskan Husky I renamed "Khuno," has worn and filed down teeth from chewing on his chain in his previous neglectful home, trying to escape.

Last edited:

sandman

Like i said before, she can RUN ALL THE WAY UP A 5 ACRE PADDOCK!:mad: Why has no one taken that into account, i even posted a pic of it. She has lots of room to run around. She doesnt chew her chain and she isn't unhappy! She is perfectly happy, she goes to the beach and plays with my pup. And pip and indie love to share her doghouse during the day. She is a happy dog. She is inside with me and Indie atm, sleeping with her. OK i just want to say thank you to all who posted informatively. You really did help me.

noludoru

Bored Now.
If she has a five acre secure paddock, take off the chain. :) It's like having a dog tied to a chair inside the house.. but saying she has the run of it. Pointless.

Things look a LOT cleaner, sandman. Great job cleaning! You did very well. :) There's still some hay hanging around, but I'm sure that will be easy to clean up. Pleas do throw away those bowls or scrub more, though, they aren't terribly clean still. :(

Sandman.. as to your dogs happiness or lack therof... please open your eyes. The situation is not a good situation for them, and you are on a forum of doglovers, most of us who would sooner live in the doghouse WITH our dogs than have them outside and uncared for. Most of us have our pets with us as much as physically possible, and spent vast amounts of money on them. I personally, will most likely be getting my cat a $1000 treatment to get his thyroid under control--I want him to have the BEST life possible, and if that means me finding a job (even if it's menial labor) because my parents don't want to pay it.. I will do so. He deserves to have the happiest life he can, and that means being healthy, happy, and treated like a king. The running joke in our house is that we are the cats' "slaves"... and it really is true. When it comes down to it, they get better treatment than I do. Nicer accessories, better health care, prepared food, spoiled rotten and loved beyond measure.

LuvsDogs

I've been reading through all the posts & I have to say that things are different in Australia. When I was a child all my dogs were outside dogs. Even the dog my husband had when we 1st married was an outside dog who slept in a wooden box under the house. Our next dog was also an outside dog (slept in a large wooden crate) until his last year of life, when I let him sleep inside on a rug.
My present dog, a 14 y/o Border Collie has always been an inside dog. When she was a puppy she slept in a box like the one in the pics, until she stopped chewing things up & I bought her a trampoline type bed which she still sleeps on. My son's 6 1/2 y/o dog slept in April's 'room' when she was a baby & he bought her a kennel to sleep in which she loved. She loves it inside & is now an inside dog. Both dogs sleep inside but go outside during the day unless its too hot, cold or raining.
I think the water bowl is an enamel bowl which has chipped, I don't think its dirty. Am I right?
I'm an obedience instructor at my local dog club & I'd say that at least 40% of dogs are still outside dogs. People are horrified when we suggest that they have their dogs inside & its easier to train a dog that lives inside.
Most Australian dogs have access to a back yard & are outside during the day. I didn't know people left their dogs inside all day when they went to work until I started going to dog obedience seminars in 2000. Most of the speakers have been American.
My son lives in the country with his partner & her 2 dogs live outside & so does his dog & there outside all the time.
You haven't told us why pip is chained all the time. Before my parents had fences they chained the dogs to their kennels at night.

Brattina88

I've been reading through all the posts & I have to say that things are different in Australia.
That doesn't make it any more right or wrong IMHO ;)

How you treat somebody is how you treat somebody. Whether its here or there

(or on a house, with a mouse?)
( Sorry... ROFLMAO )

noludoru

Bored Now.
Thank you, Brattina. LuvsDogs, in the future please don't support people mistreating their dogs. At least not on this forum. And no, the enamel dish is not chipped, it is FILTHY.

sandman

That doesn't make it any more right or wrong IMHO ;)

How you treat somebody is how you treat somebody. Whether its here or there

(or on a house, with a mouse?)
( Sorry... ROFLMAO )

Ok im going to settle this once and for all. We obviously have different opinions. So here it is. I am neither right or wrong. To you I am wrong but to me I am just doing what our family has always done. I love my dogs very much, we just dont baby them as much as some people. They all come inside alot, and stay outside at night. We live in a rural area and pip is still not to be trusted around sheep. That is why she is chained up. She is a hunting dog, so therefore likes to hunt. Also the council doesn't like dogs waundering around. Our fences are not secure for dogs, only horses. So this argument has to stop. I am not wrong, I just do things differently. thank you LuvsDogs for supporting me.

dandandat

If I had an outside " pet " it would be a hen to lay eggs or a goat ( or sheep ) to clip my grass . To me domesticated animals deserve an indoor life and human contact .Exceptions : working dogs ... farm or sledding .
Goats and hens are domesticated animals, they are not whiled animals.

dandandat

Ok im going to settle this once and for all. We obviously have different opinions. So here it is. I am neither right or wrong. To you I am wrong but to me I am just doing what our family has always done. I love my dogs very much, we just dont baby them as much as some people. They all come inside alot, and stay outside at night. We live in a rural area and pip is still not to be trusted around sheep. That is why she is chained up. She is a hunting dog, so therefore likes to hunt. Also the council doesn't like dogs waundering around. Our fences are not secure for dogs, only horses. So this argument has to stop. I am not wrong, I just do things differently. thank you LuvsDogs for supporting me.
Here's what you do love, you go tell your dad that the people from Chazhound are very agree with him and you. I bet that will make him reconsider the sleeping situation, after all it’s the people from Chazhound.

Dot let'm get to you ;) don’t over explain yourself ether. Once is enough. If they don’t want to listen that time, they won’t ever. You did a nice job with the dog house by the way, good job.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'm sorry you feel that way, Sandman. It's not a right/wrong issue, it's a humane issue.

By any chance you read my last post? And have you cleaned those bowls, yet?

ACooper

Goats and hens are domesticated animals, they are not whiled animals.
True............they are FOOD! I don't eat my dog, or anything that comes OUT of my dog! :rolleyes:

Dekka

Just try me..
Dandandat...I really don't get it...you agree dogs should sleep outside? That she shouldnt have cleaned up the dogs space (which looks great now)? What are you saying?

Doberluv

I know she probably should have been sleeping outside since I got her, buut it's winter here and she is a tad older now, so she has started sleeping outside. There should be no problem as she is now right next to my other 2 dogs who love her. She also has a nice comfy bed even with a hot water bottle in it. So why is she crying? She will do it for an hour or 2 then just go to sleep. So do I keep ignoring her? or do i go out when she is quiet and reward her for being that way? I'm not quite sure how to handle this one. My dad says that she will get over it and just go to sleep. But i cant help but worry about her. help please
Take another look at your original post Sandman. You came on a dog forum full of dog lovers, many of whom are experienced and educated in animal husbandry, behavior and many other aspects of the domestic dog.

As with just about any topic, you can go back through the ages and all the way up to the present time and see various changes in trends and attitudes toward things....all kinds of things. Science and technology, new studies and information of all sorts cause new ideas and practices in many areas, including dogs.

You asked a question and you got opinions. If you think you're doing the right thing and it's based on your family history and nothing else, and that is all that matters to you, then go with it, by all means. But why ask the question in the first place when you don't want to accept advice from experienced dog people? It's perfectly all right to have your own opionion, but don't blame the messengers for their opinions.

As it's been said, most of us realize that it is not your decision to make regarding your dogs. It's your parents'. I hope you don't still agree with them when you're on your own and have dogs.

However, you appeared to be concerned about why your puppy cries to this excessive degree. Then you added pictures of your other dogs living conditions, which you have tried to improve. That is a positive, to be sure.

I assure you, on the vast majority of dog forums, you'll find the same consensus. Attitudes and practices with dogs have changed over the years for many, many pet owners, from novice to experts. Sometimes it's good to take a look at new insights and leave the old behind in exchange for better ways. Another example of this would be in training trends.

But again, welcome to the forum and if you have a question, you may get some good advice. Whether or not you decide to take that into consideration is entirely up to you. But don't blame members here for their passion for animals. That is the nature of this forum.

mod note: [Dandandat: Please stay on topic and avoid attacking the members here with sarcasm. It is not contributing to the topic at hand.]

LuvsDogs

If I had an outside " pet " it would be a hen to lay eggs or a goat ( or sheep ) to clip my grass . To me domesticated animals deserve an indoor life and human contact .Exceptions : working dogs ... farm or sledding .
To me these dogs live on a small farm. Their kennels look as though they're in open sided sheds. Dogs have lived outside for centuries & still do in my country, it's just the way it is. As I said my dogs as a child lived outside & came in occassionally. My present dogs live inside, meaning they sleep inside & are outside in the day (their choice) or if no ones home. This poor girl has no choice.

Last edited:

sandman

are you saying my dogs are kept in-humanely? It is not cruel to keep a dog outside...I like this forum but in my original post I did only ask what I could do to prevent her from crying so much, not whether or not I was wrong to keep her outside or not. I have cleaned up and improved all of the dogs sleeping places, not just my own. I have tried and tried to get the approval of you all. Some of which have come around once I improved it, but it is still not good enough for some. My family has always brought dogs up outside. and when I have my own house, I probably will have my dogs inside, but for the moment, it is not my house...so I dont make the rules.

Doberluv

Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion about whether dogs are better off outside or inside with their family. You don't need the approval of every person on this forum or anywhere else, do you? People toss out their ideas and you can take what parts you like and leave the rest. A forum is a place to discuss opinions. Sometimes people get really passionate about their own ideas and that's just par for the course.

Again, yes...you did ask why she was cying so much. And it was explained why, which naturally led to the outside/inside debate. The reason she is crying is because she's an infant and alone outside without her family. Dogs are social animals and have evolved through domestication to be with humans and be with humans in a big, huge phenomenal way, unlike any other domestic animal. They get stressed and anxious when alone for long spells of time, especially a brand new puppy. Young dogs need the security of their human parent. Adult dogs can come to cope with longer spells of time alone. Puppies need more to thrive well and develop a sense of security, safety and a bond with their people. That prepares them to be secure and confident adults. (IMO)

And it was mentioned many times that people here realize that it is not your choice to make. But, a little information never hurt anyone. Maybe it will come in useful some day.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.