Should we become an actual rescue/transport group?

Bunny82

Just a thought but I was thinking about what is going on with Lizzy (the Fila) has made me wonder how much easier it would be to pull a dog if we were an actual rescue/transport group with 501 status. Seems to me like we could avoid a lot of the BS.

There are bound to be times when help is needed again and if we were a established group that might make things go much smoother for future rescue and transports.

Anyone interested?

Anyone know the procedure and requirements?

bubbatd

With Indy being the cross roads of America I'm in !! Financially can't travel far , but my home is always open to dogs !

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I'm in.

I know we'd need to set up as a non-profit corporation. I'm not sure how we get the street-cred as a rescue though.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
To get 501c status is not only lengthy with lots of legal work but it is also pretty pricey. Then you also have to deal with who and which state the "home" of the rescue would be. I have the documentations if anyone is interested.

And, really, Chaz is already much like a rescue... we just go nation-wide and don't have the non-profit status.

Oh, and you do not have to be 501c to be a rescue, but there are other legal matters with that as well.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Sure, but someone has to be the "head" (think director) of the rescue, you have to have someone handle the monetary dealings, etc.. It can be hard if it's all spread out, so it would be important to make sure that in whatever area is chosen, there are multiple people willing to take on many of the tasks. For instance, you can't have the rescue home be in washington and have the money flow in texas, etc.. etc.. And regulations for 501c status will differ by state as well.

Bunny82

To get 501c status is not only lengthy with lots of legal work but it is also pretty pricey. Then you also have to deal with who and which state the "home" of the rescue would be. I have the documentations if anyone is interested.

And, really, Chaz is already much like a rescue... we just go nation-wide and don't have the non-profit status.

Oh, and you do not have to be 501c to be a rescue, but there are other legal matters with that as well.

Do you know how long it takes and how 'pricey' we are talking? If all the fees are not required until 501 status is complete I would be willing to pay the expenses providing I had time to save up if it was very costly.

Could you please send me the documentation you have? :)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I believe the process takes at least 90 days and the costs are near $500, at least in California. Give me a couple days to get all the links together for you and I'll send them your way. PM me your email and I will send what actual documents I have as well. :)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The problem will be the ammount of time, effort and responsibility that some members will have to assume, namely, whoever are the officers. That's the drawback.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Hmmm. I think things are great the way they are. Right now, we're just a network of friends and dog lovers who are helping each other out. But if we become a formal "organization", we'll need to elect officers, prepare budgets, decide on protocol, and other such stressful things. I see that as more harmful than helpful.

Last edited:

Bunny82

You know that is a good point Gem. What if we could do both? Get the recognition of being an actual rescue group yet keep things the way they are now? I mean all we need are names on paper right? People don't have to really take any official positions if they don't want them. Just be willing to sign a name so we can make it all legal. ;)

I don't mind signing all the paperwork and putting my name on everything. We also don't need really need a budget. People can just help out in whatever capacity they can.

I also mentioned that depending on costs of getting 501 status providing I had ample time to save up I will pay initial expenses to get us started as long as afterwards people would be willing to chip in what they can to help out if there are any yearly renewal expenses or anything like that?

Members online

No members online now.