she's a sneaky pooping spy - HELP!

cuporsche

My roommate and I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and he has a 6 month old cocker spaniel named Lucy. She is getting better at giving a little bark when she needs to be taken outside ... however every time I happen to leave my bedroom door even slightly open she'll sneak her way in and make her business (poop, pee, or both). It is as if she specifically targets my bedroom; lately peeing just outside my bedroom door seems to be a hobby of hers too. Also if I catch her in time and take her out, she simply won't poo or pee, so I'm sure she WANTS to do her business in my room. I'm going nuts, and I'd rather train the dog than do the simple "keep the door closed" - because that just doesn't work well in the long run. Please help, she's not even my dog and I'm trying my best to follow my roommates rules for his dog.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
I would guess she doesn't view your room as part of her house, so she's decided to make it into her bathroom. Usually this problem responds really well to some simple lifestyle changes for the dog. Start feeding her in your room. If it's possible, have her sleep in there with you sometimes (crated so she can't make a mistake) or bring her in on a leash and spend some supervised time in there with her during the day. You might also bring her in to play "find the treat". Hide little yummies all over the room and then get her and let her find them. This is a fun game for puppies and it is one more thing that will convince her that your room is for eating and playing, not pottying.

Good Luck!

Romy

Taxiderpy
Try cleaning the areas she has been pooping and peeing in with an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle. It has enzymes that break down every tiny little bit of waste, so absolutely nothing is left. If she can smell her old poo and pee somewhere, she will keep using that area as a bathroom. That kind of cleaner will help her to stop thinking of those places as a bathroom area while you are retraining her.

Paige

Let it be
All three of my dogs think my room is a toilet. They are no longer aloud in my bedroom. I know it can be a bit of a pain but if you get into a habit of closing doors it may be the easiest way to solve the problem.

a.baker

If a puppy gets punished for going potty in the house they may think that the potty is bad and therefore will hide to potty. They don't understand that potty in the house is not ideal is what is of course trying to be achieved. Dogs aren't people so therefore they can't reason. Catching the puppy right before the act, actively sniffing like on a mission looking for something or turning circles. or Catching the puppy in the act. Always immediately take the puppy outside and tell them potty outside. When they go or finish outside give the puppy a treat immediately following. Unfortunately this is your roommates dog and not yours so your roommate will have to be more active in paying close attention to the puppy and taking it outside every half hour or hour. Every time it goes potty outside give a treat immediately. Some dogs are slow to maturing to.

arklady

Ark Lady
There are a lot of things you can do such as put the dog on a schedule, monitor food and water, or supervision.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToCarlaML

Another Pooping Problem

We just adopted a 2yr old dog and have had him for a month. We take him on long walks 4-6 times a day. He pees outside, but he won't poop outside. He waits til after his walk, when we're not looking to go. We've tried the pads and the training spray, but he goes next to the pad, not on it. When we first got him, he went outside quite a few times and we gave him praise, as the dog trainers say, but now he will not go at all outside. We do not punish him for doing this because we feel it might confuse him because he doesn't know any better. How do we convey the message and solve this problem?

Members online

No members online now.