Results of a shock collar on my chihuahua

S

Squishy22

So, the other day I bought a shock collar from walmart for Pebbs, my chihuahua. She has a HUGE barking problem, and I have a 5 month old, so that doesnt mix well when my baby girl is trying to get nappy time.

The collar is remote controlled and it has 5 settings. I do not believe in putting your dog through something without putting yourself through it first. So I used the collar on myself on EVERY setting. So did my mom and my fiance.

On the 1st setting I barely even noticed the shock. The 5th setting was very noticeable, but I was surprised that it wasn't really "painful". It was more of scare than anything. It tenses your muscles like a muscle stimulator.

So I put it on Pebbs and she did nothing on the 1st setting, so I pushed it up to 1.5. Even on that setting you can barely even tell if she can feel it. Her hair just stands on end for a sec. like shes been spooked.

Its been 3 days, and I have only had to use it TWICE. Thats it. She caught on QUICK. She is bark free. Sometimes I have to beep it to warn her, but after she hears that beep, she shuts right up.

The product is AMAZING. Better than I ever thought. I love the thing. And to be truthful, being sprayed in the face with lemon juice from a spray collar is way harsher that a shock collar.

lizzybeth727

I'm glad it's working for you, but if you're going to use an electric collar for a barking problem, it's really more effective to get a "bark collar" - these automatically go off whenever your dog barks, so the punishment is immediate. With the remote collars, sometimes you have to fumble for the remote or other things happen that delay the punishment, making the punishment not as effective for the barking, as well as punishing your dog for doing some other behavior that is not necessarily bad.

But an electric collar is ALWAYS ALWAYS a last resort - after you've consulted with a professional trainer/behaviorist.

Dekka

Just try me..
I am glad you got one with low settings. All the e collars I used hurt like %$$#@ after level 3. I agree with lizzy. I know of a few dogs who were made worse (it scared them)

Maxy24

I'm glad it worked for you but to me it's the same as smacking your dog, collar correcting your dog, scruffing her, grabbing and holding her muzzle etc. This one just does not involve you touching her, you can do it from a distance. It may not seem like it hurts but it does enough to make her stop.

I understand the want for instant results but it's just something I'm against. Hopefully you won't have to use it anymore.

I have to agree with Maxy.

I also hope you exhausted all other options before you went to this route... putting a shock collar on a dog, especially a toy breed dog (this has nothing to do with my love of "small" dogs... just that something is going to hurt a chi alot more then a Fila :p), must be painful... thats really the point... make them want to stop so they dont get it anymore... the goal really should be make them WANT to stop so they get something GOOD.... like teach the "enough" command and then reward with a treat.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
just that something is going to hurt a chi alot more then a Fila :p)
Yea, but would the chi going get revenge? :yikes: Bella's feelings would be hurt and then she'd do something to get back at us... hence, the training we've gone through to not have to resort to tactics like shock/bark collars, etc.. :p

Yea, but would the chi going get revenge? :yikes: Bella's feelings would be hurt and then she'd do something to get back at us... hence, the training we've gone through to not have to resort to tactics like shock/bark collars, etc.. :p
oh trust me little dogs figure out a way to get back at you too... :lol-sign:

bubbatd

Live and learn ! I've never used a shock collar and didn't even know they were made small enough for a Chi ! Do they really bark that much !?

S

Squishy22

I'm glad it worked for you but to me it's the same as smacking your dog, collar correcting your dog, scruffing her, grabbing and holding her muzzle etc. This one just does not involve you touching her, you can do it from a distance. It may not seem like it hurts but it does enough to make her stop.

I understand the want for instant results but it's just something I'm against. Hopefully you won't have to use it anymore.
I completely understand that a lot of people are against shock collars. They very much ARE a last resort. I have always been for these types of collars, when they work and used properly, but since I now have experience with one and have used it on myself, I am for it even more.

Seeing how fast she caught on. I doubt I will have to use it... just the beeping part to warn her. I'm not saying that I will NEVER have to use it though. Its only been a few days.

I want to add that she is pretty hardy dog. She isn't pure chihuahua. She is half miniature pincher. They were originally terrier dogs, so she isn't a softy by any means. I have a low pain tolerance myself, and at only 1.5, it doesn't hurt me, it gets my attention and its uncomfortable.

I wouldn't use it if she didnt have a REALLY bad barking problem. Its as bad as some shelties i've seen. Her barking is way over the top. Trust me.

oh trust me little dogs figure out a way to get back at you too... :lol-sign:
Very true . . . . but a toy breed dog won't get even with you by doing something like taking a huge snarf out of the center of the sheet cake you've got cooling off to frost. :eek:

S

Squishy22

I'm glad it's working for you, but if you're going to use an electric collar for a barking problem, it's really more effective to get a "bark collar" - these automatically go off whenever your dog barks, so the punishment is immediate. With the remote collars, sometimes you have to fumble for the remote or other things happen that delay the punishment, making the punishment not as effective for the barking, as well as punishing your dog for doing some other behavior that is not necessarily bad.

But an electric collar is ALWAYS ALWAYS a last resort - after you've consulted with a professional trainer/behaviorist.
yeah, thats the kind I want to get. My fiance grabbed the only one that was at walmart. I do it when she is barking, NEVER after she quits. I always have it clipped to the side of my jeans.

Very true . . . . but a toy breed dog won't get even with you by doing something like taking a huge snarf out of the center of the sheet cake you've got cooling off to frost. :eek:
Well.. actually little dogs can really get the food down.... problem is they have weaker stomachs and they get you on the way out... if you know what I mean.:lol-sign:

Yup . . . . know exactly what you mean. Cats are the true masters of THAT particular sort of revenge . . . and they like to hide it in special places - like shoes. Or pillows.

S

Squishy22

I have to agree with Maxy.

I also hope you exhausted all other options before you went to this route... putting a shock collar on a dog, especially a toy breed dog (this has nothing to do with my love of "small" dogs... just that something is going to hurt a chi alot more then a Fila :p), must be painful... thats really the point... make them want to stop so they dont get it anymore... the goal really should be make them WANT to stop so they get something GOOD.... like teach the "enough" command and then reward with a treat.
That doesn't work for pebbs. NOTHING gives her more pleasure than barking, even treats. She enjoys barking more than anything. Its an obsession with her. I don't believe its "painful". Its very uncomfortable and gets your attention. They have 5 settings for a reason. I would never turn it up past 1.5 Thats the minimum setting that will get her attention, she didn't even react to the 1st setting.

I am just so glad that there is silence now. I am happy, pebbs is happy, and my daughter is happy. Cant get any better than that.

Dekka

Just try me..
IF she loves barking more than anything, she must find it pretty horrible or painful to make her stop that fast. I am not saying you are bad for using it, just that you shouldn't kid yourself on how unpleasant she finds it.

If it really want that bad, it wouldn't stop her.

That doesn't work for pebbs. NOTHING gives her more pleasure than barking, even treats. She enjoys barking more than anything. Its an obsession with her. I don't believe its "painful". Its very uncomfortable and gets your attention. They have 5 settings for a reason. I would never turn it up past 1.5 Thats the minimum setting that will get her attention, she didn't even react to the 1st setting.

I am just so glad that there is silence now. I am happy, pebbs is happy, and my daughter is happy. Cant get any better than that.
I doubt very much the one get shocked is happier now then she was before.

I dont know your situation at all... but it sounds like this was not used as a last resort after trainers, behaviorists, and hard work.... It sounds like you said "I need quiet for my baby I will use a shock collar" to get a quick solution... which may be what makes you happy but it shouldnt be advocated as a great solution that people may come on here looking for advice and take as gospel.
Hopefully people who come on to the board will see that shock collars should be used as a LAST RESORT and only after consulting a TRAINER or BEHAVIORIST.

scob89

DILLIGAF?
They do work wonders, The one I have worked on Brenna in less than a day without using the shocking part. It has the pager that vibrates the collar without shocking the dog. My girl is not very stubborn, but it does have plenty of shocking power if she was.

I consider the collar I have a dual purpose, The Vibrating part for Brenna and the shocking part for parties that have alcohol involved.

S

Squishy22

IF she loves barking more than anything, she must find it pretty horrible or painful to make her stop that fast. I am not saying you are bad for using it, just that you shouldn't kid yourself on how unpleasant she finds it.

If it really want that bad, it wouldn't stop her.
I am sure it is very uncomfortable. Do I know for a fact that its NOT painfull to her? Absolutely not, because there is no way to tell... she doesnt speak english, lol. It could be painful to her, sure, but I personally think that its more uncomfortable than anything because I have used it on myself... I know exactly what it feels like.

I havent had to use it on her but twice, so she must not like it for what ever reason. But it works, and thankfully she caught on quick. If she didnt catch on and I had to shock her over and over and over again, I wouldn't use it.

Members online

No members online now.