requesting suggestions.

Abandoned

There is a stray living near my home, I feed him every night and have done so since augest. I'd love to have him as a pet and take him to the vet because his been hit by a car twice. People have told me he sits at the end of my driveway some nights. Any suggestions or questions would be helpful.

soleil

If you have been caring for this animal since August (5 months), then you are the caretaker already... What I can't underatand is why you haven't taken your dog into a vet, or at least a local shelter so that he could be looked after. Once responsibility has been taken for another living creature (such as feeding for 5 months), you have a moral obligation to follow it through to the bitter (or sweet) end.

S.

Saje

Island dweller
Well, some of the SPCA's around here will help you with costs if you take in a stray animal

poodlesmom

I am assuming you haven't taken him in already because he shies away from actual human contact although he has no problem eating what you leave out for him. :)

I would imagine that this would take a considerable amount of time, effort & patience on your part with you spending an immeasurable amount of time outside.

Do you have any other pets? How close does he come to your house to eat the food you put out for him? How big is he? I am guessing that he doesn't appear to be aggressive; however, with a dog that is a timid as I imagine he is, you will need to be careful especially if he felt his route of flight wasn't available to him.

Are there any rescue groups near you who might be able to actually help you out in getting him or giving you suggestions on what has worked for them in the past in similar situations?

How does he act when you feed him? That's heartbreaking to think of him sitting in your driveway at night. Sometimes the right animal finds us and we just have to open our hearts and homes. There is always a lesson and a reward when an animal chooses to come to you.

bogolove

I agree. I always think if an animal finds you, there is a higher reason and one to be respected. Does he shy away from you when you go near him? If he has been hit twice by a car, he most likely is in need of some medical attention. I applaud you at wanting to take him in, but please try to get him to the vet as soon as possible for his health and safety. I know that is probably easier said than done if he won't come near you.

Abandoned

The food is never in my driveway, its impossible and unsafe to leave food out because of other dogs passing by AND because we have a bear issue. There were footprints in this mornings fresh snow that are the same size as his. I havent taken him in yet because he wont come near me. Within 15-20 ft he gets jumpy and starts looking to get away. I want to take him to a vet but Im afraid of the following: Ill take him in, they will show me a bill, and I wont be able to afford it. Then, they will say its inhumaine to let him suffer like this and then try to adopt him out. When that happens they will find out he's not the adopting type and kill him.

Why don't you call the vet and explain the situation? You never know, the vet may be willing to help you with him. It never hurts to ask. They may even have a way to help you win him over.

I once sat for four hours, talking softly to the young female German Shepherd someone brought to my Grandmother (I called her Nanny - much less stuffy and formal). Lady had been terribly abused and was just terrified of people. After four hours she finally crept out and put her paw on my leg. Sometimes it just takes a measure of patience.

Try sitting, not facing the dog, looking more to the side, just talking in a soft voice, with the food dish four or five feet away. Don't try to touch him; just talk to him. Do that for a few days, putting the food a little bit closer to you each day.

soleil

Are you nearby an SPCA or Humane Society? If so, they are legally bound to come and try to catch him, as he is injured. So call, explain what has happened to him, and suggest that a dog trap be set up on your property (they look like really big cat traps- and don;t hurt the dog at all!). When they catch him and take him to the vet- let them know that you could foster him if need be. And then keep him on leash at all times...
If a foster home is available then the risk of him being PTS because he is not adoptable goes WAY down! Good Luck!

S.

bogolove

Hit the post reply button, or go advanced button. Whe you are in the screen with the little faces at the top there is a picture that looks like an envelope. You click on that and it will have you enter the url for the pic. I usually have to have my pic posted on a web page online to get it to work, I don't know if you can attach it right from your computer unless you go into Dog Pictures at the top of the page and there is a way to do it in there rand take the pics right from your computer.

Chazhound? Can you post pics into a forum right from your computer? You would think as long as I have been on this forum i would know that by now. ;)

Nice doggie!
You should be able to hit the Post Reply button and under the message box should be an area that has a 'Manage Attachments' button. Hit that button and follow the directions, then after you attached the picture file, close that attachment window, and submit the message as you would normally.

Chazhound

Debi

since you mention snow....do you know where he sleeps? Just keep thinking...this poor little guy needs some help. He is scared, possibly hurt, cold...he needs a friend. Follow Renee's advise and put food out..closer each time. Talk to him....keep thinking that he is just possibly someone's lost pet, and they would be so happy to know he had been helped. :) I also agree that sometimes the vet will understand the situation and be willing to help. Maybe just call, explain and ask.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Our emergency vets here in kc have a good samaritan policy. I found this out when I picked up a dog that had been hit, his back broken and was "sitting" in the middle of the road late one night. I took him directly there and they said they would take care of him, explained the policy that I would not be charged, but I could not pick up the animal without paying the bill. THe put him straight down which was for the best, loaned me a suit of scrubs for he had defecated all over what I had on. Maybe your er vets have the same...
ARe you moving the food closer each day? Do you talk to him when you put it out? Does he come closer when you are out? Can you encourage him to come during daylight hours when you could have help from the humane society? You wouldn't want to reach for him without knowing if he will bite or not (learned that the hard way too) all I did was reach for the tag to see what the phone number was and the little dog bit right through my thumbnail and wouldn't turn loose...be careful..even if they are friendly you have no insurance that they won't bite. He is really handsome! I hope someone can help you.

Members online