question on foods-Mordy?

shazbot

not so newby
I checked out the dogfoodproject website and saw that its recommended to supplement the Natural Balance Potato and Duck food with a low carb canned food or raw meat(can't afford raw meats right now). What kind of canned food would you recommend I use? Anybody that would know what to use please feel free to advise. Thank you in advance :)

sam

I assume the reason your dog is on duck and potatoe is an intolerance of the other, more common protein sources? If so I would think your canned food choices are somewhat limited as well. I think Natural Balance makes canned D&P food as well. There might be a few other barnds-- Evo canned has a duck formulation- but I'm not sure if it has other ingredienst that your dog may be needing to avoid.

shazbot

not so newby
Yes I know NB makes canned foods. The reason it was suggested to suppliment was because the kibble has a low protein content. I was asking what canned foods would be suggested. No it's not the other proteins that are the problem. I've noticed that they are intolerant of a lot of grains in the other foods and seem to do much better on grain free foods, dry skin, chewing on paws, runny eyes. I tried innova evo but the protein content was too much for them. The Natural Balance that they are on now is grain free. I've been feeding this food for a while now but saw on Mordy's website that it's recommended to suppliment with a low carb canned food or fresh meat. I would like to know what the best canned food for that would be.

Last edited:

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I would recommend going with something like the Innova Evo 95% meat cans, Canine Caviar 100% Meat cans etc.

Wysong also makes 100% canned meats, Nature's Variety has 95% meat cans but as far as I know they still contain menadione, and Wellness also recently came out with 95% meat cans. By Nature has an organic line that has 100% meat as well as low-carb cans.

Last but definitely not least, Tripett canned tripe is great too.

shazbot

not so newby
Great thank you for the info :) I will check those foods out in the morning. I know all dogs have different nutritional needs, can you give me an estimate on how much canned food i should add?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Proportions are entirely up to you (the more canned, the better, but I know it's often an issue of affordability), just make sure you cut back on the amount of kibble accordingly so the amount of calories you feed per day doesn't increase.

I think the NB Potato & Duck contains around 465 kcal per cup, and the Evo canned duck for example is 517 kcals per 13.2 oz can, so one can would replace a little less than 1 1/4 cups.

at the store i work at we carry canned foods called Evangers, they are 100% duck, chicken, pheasent or rabbit the entire ingredient list consists of :whole dressed duck, Duck broth. min crude protein is 11% just a suggestion :)

Members online

No members online now.