puppy hit by car

My wife and I were travelling in rural Arizona when a truck passed us speeding. About a mile later he hit a puppy in the road and sent him flying. (he did not stop) The puppy obviously had broken his hind legs as he could only use his front legs to get out of the road. We stopped and went to a house nearby to ask if they had a puppy and to let them know he was hit. The people confirmed the puppy was theirs but said they would "get him later". I explained he was still alive but that didn't seem to matter. I flagged down a police officer which was the only thing that made them come out of the house. The officer talked with the owners and came to me and told me the owners were saying to "just leave it there". The officer and the owners left us on the side of the road as the puppy tried to pull himself home. As soon as they left, we wrapped the puppy in a shirt, made a bed for him in the car, and drove him to our vet (who was hours away but we were in the middle of nowhere. Our vet boarded the dog for 3 days, with i.v's, painkillers, antibiotics, the works, to stabilize him for surgery. She donated this vet stay to the cause but she cannot do the surgery. He is scheduled for surgery on august 10th at a cost of $7,000 approximately and we were wondering if there are any organization out their who help with medical expenses (we don't have much money)
We are starting a fundraising effort to help with costs but would like to know if anyone has been in a similar situation and how they paid for it. He has a lot of energy and eats like a champ! The surgeon is wary of doing the surgery due to cost but we assured him he will get paid. He stated we could probably save 50 dogs for the price of this one but this is the dog we are saving now. He is alrready part of the family. He has a broken left leg, a broken and dislocated right leg, and a fractured pelvis. We have been assured everything else is fine. He may have a limp but he can be treated. Any info would be helpful, thank you.

maybe wrong place

It looks like I probably should have posted this somewhere else. I apologize.

bubbatd

This is so sad !!! I do hope that it's ligit and you can get help . There are people here that know of helpful site . Don't expect cash to you !!! Your vet's site might help..... but we'd need the dog's name and your name to establish that this is not a scam .

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
There are grants for things like this. Try looking for them on google. I have the feeling they are few and far between though. Good luck!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
OUR shelter has a fund called the Gabrial fund. IT was started for a puppy named Gabrial that had two broken legs. A hat was passed to collect funds and they got enough and fixed him. EVer since the Greater Kansas City Humane Society has kept this fund going. IT is my number one cause. I took my dog with a plastic bucket and a doctor costume trick or treated and raised 700 dollars in the last 2 years. I have no idea how you could raise that much money. COuld you contact a vet school and see if they could do this procedure? THat might reduce the cost considerably.

I can't seem to post pictures in the thread for i don't know what reason so I put them in the photo gallery here and then post the link.

Thank you everyone for your concern. Bubbatd, I sent you a personal message with my contact info. didn't know if I should post it outright for fear some meanie might try to collect funds in my name. (not a meanie from this sight of course but someone fishing for a scam!) I did find a sight that lists organization that help with pet medical expenses and will try that (thanks!)
I will try to post his picture when I get home from work.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
GIving the vet's name and place of business wouldn't be of any harm either.

vets name

I'm not sure who the surgeon is yet but our vet is Dr. Kayomee P. Daroowalla at Benarda Veternary hosp. in tucson (2555 e. broadway blvd.) She has been amazing with all her help and I recommend anyone in the area to her because she is Awesome!

bubbatd

Got your PM .....Hope that between a helping group and funds to your vet , it can be covered .

thank you

Thank you everyone for your kind words!
We have an appt. Monday @ 8:30 with James Boulay @ Vetrinary specialty center in tucson. He is suppose to be the best. Right now it's hard to keep wishbone down cause he wants to stand up! Constant vigil!

surgery over!

Well the surgery is over! Just got a call from the surgeon and he is fine! Pin in the left femur, screws in the pelvis and lost the head of the other femur. We hopefuly will be able to pick him up tomorrow. If anyone is in the Tucson area there will be a wishbone benefit carwash at Miles Elementary and Middle school, 1400 e. broadway just south of the University of Arizona on saturday 8/15 from 8am till 1 pm. Thank you all for all your support and I hope everyone's little friends lives are always full of love. Looking forward to staying in touch.

Dave

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
THat's awesome news. Fingers crossed the carwash helps a lot!

wishbone update

Carwash went great!! We raised 577$ for wishbone! Thank you for family, friends, and strangers who came out to get their car washed. The final bill for surgery was 4,000$ (surgeon cut us a deal I think!) and we have raised alomost 2,000$!! I don't think my wife and I ever though we would be able to pay half this bill off on donations!, verv grateful. Wishbone is hurtin' but up and walking regularly.

Members online

No members online now.