Puppy Food Question

I have a 7 week old Nova Scotia Duck Toller. I have switched his food from "Purina puppy chow" to "Grain Free Holistic Select Adult & Puppy health". I was recommended this food by a few friends that have it for their adult dogs. Unfortunately the pet stores around here only carry the "Adult & Puppy" version and not the strictly Puppy one.

Should I change to a Puppy food only? if so which brand? or will this "Adult & Puppy" be fine? Also, does 2 cups a day sound reasonable? I'm going by whats on the bag

Thanks!

Elrohwen

There's no need to feed a puppy specific food. I feed All Life Stages foods which are fine for puppies and adults.

The "puppy food" name is more of a marketing ploy than anything else. If it is formulated for dogs of all life stages (which I'm assuming it is if it's called "Adult & Puppy") then it's fine.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Eh, nothing wrong with a puppy food. Look at the AAFCO statement on the bag. You either want it to say suitable for All Life Stages (even some "adult" foods say this) or have it say "formulated for growth and development". Either is great for a pup.

2 cups a day sounds just fine!

PnZmom

I've never went out of my way to feed puppy foods to puppies. (Same with cats/kittens) Always an "adult" or ALS food unless another kind is cheaper. I have a 1.5yo and a 16yo currently eating "puppy" food because I got the bags for REALLY cheap, like one bag was reduced from $32 to $15 just because it's 4 months from being expired. I'll be able to use up ALL the food I have, plus some, in under 4 months time so no biggy. I do this from time to time for my dogs and cats to save money. Puppy/Kitten or Senior foods aren't off limits regardless of pets age, assuming the price is good enough. ;) But I also swap up and mix foods constantly, mostly going off what "better" brands are on sale/I have coupons for because we live on a strict budget and have 8 animals to feed. I don't go Ol' Roy cheap or anything but that $15 bag of California Natural worked out cheaper than OR anyways. Nobody has ever died, had poor growth or developed any diseases from not eating a certain "life stage food" for their age and I've had MANY animals over the years. ;)

You have to provide proper supplements for your dogs. it means they need some different diet in the older age which may be helpful to them to fight against old age diseases in the pets.

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
My suggestion is to do some research. Here is a great link to Dog Food Analysis:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

They rate dog foods based on ingredients and such. The higher the star rating the better the food. Each store can have different pricing.

As for how much to feed I never suggest going by the bag. I always suggest people watch their puppy or dog to gage how much to feed. A health puppy or dog you can see the last two ribs on. If you can see only one or none then decrease the amount of food until you see two and then stabilize the amount to keep them at that. If you see more then two then increase the amount of food till you see only two and then stabilize the amount. Each puppy can be different on how much they need. The different seasons can cause the need to increase of decrease, different activity levels can as well. Keeping a puppy at a healthy weight during growth helps them grow properly without putting stress on the joints that can cause issues later on. Keeping them at a healthy weight as an adult can prolong their life and keep them moving easier as seniors. Hope that helps.

JanetAbell

Newbie is here ;)
I have a 7 week old Nova Scotia Duck Toller. I have switched his food from "Purina puppy chow" to "Grain Free Holistic Select Adult & Puppy health". I was recommended this food by a few friends that have it for their adult dogs. Unfortunately the pet stores around here only carry the "Adult & Puppy" version and not the strictly Puppy one.

Should I change to a Puppy food only? if so which brand? or will this "Adult & Puppy" be fine? Also, does 2 cups a day sound reasonable? I'm going by whats on the bag

Thanks!
Well puppy food some people prefer to use for 12 weeks,it really depends on your dog growth .It is critical to pay attention in early stages and later on all kind of gets to your dog health activity and its workload during the day.

Previously I also had a headache for finding food for my puppy and my friends introduced very good products .you can find out in pawpawlover article.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.