Please Neuter

All three of my dogs are spayed and all of my future pets will be spayed and neutered also. I have no need for more puppies, the world has no need for more puppies.

The reasons people have for not fixing their pets are often so ridiculous - "I don't want him to lose his manliness," "It'll make her fat," "It will wreck her coat," :rolleyes: "I don't want his personality to change."

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I had the worst time convincing a friend of mine to neuter his dog, because his own masculinity was so tied up in his dog's...silly, silly man.

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I always get my pets spayed or neutered. I don't like the look of "intact" male dogs, I really don't like looking at their "stuff". Also If when it was "my time of the month" and I had to walk around with a visable diaper wrapped around me wherever I went I would die of humiliation. I know I am no where near experienced enough to breed dogs (probably never will be either) so it's best to get them fixed and then not have to worry about "accidents". Puppies are cute, and cuddly, but I think a WHOLE litter would be just TOO much work for someone like me.

akemi_hikari

Duck Toller Queen
Dogs who aren't neutred at a young age have more behaviorial problems. They also only think about mounting everything in site including your visitors legs.. which is annoying. And the cancer thing I agree with.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
oriondw said:
Because, I dont see any real reason to do it, other then to buy into American vet hysteria
lol, so it's "american vet hysteria" vs. urban legends and old wives tales. interesting concept. :rolleyes:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Mordy said:
lol, so it's "american vet hysteria" vs. urban legends and old wives tales. interesting concept. :rolleyes:
Yes, I was thinking the same. lol..

If a dog (or its owner! I've seen excellent dogs that are being bred by MORONS!) doesn't have the right stuff for breeding it should be neutered, IMO. Neutering is healthier for the dog. If it isn't going to be used for breeding or shown in conformation, why leave it intact at all? I consider neutering a preventative surgery for testicular cancer.

amymarley

Very well said.... better than I did my first, second, third...an on and on try. American Vet. Hype...please. For everyone else, good for you.

amymarley

I see that most if not all of the people here are very passionate about their fids. I know I am brand new to the board and didn't really represent myself as I should have the first few posts, but I wish this whole breeding tread would disappear. It seems that the majority here may have purebreds (I do too, from a shelter). But the whole breeding thing gets my hackles up and I am seeing it's getting others hackles up as well. I understand freedom of speech, and respect that, but from what I can see here, most "animal people" don't respect the concept and are not in favor of it.

I could see having a pure-bred section, (and discussing training, behavior and temperments of certain breeds) but "the breeding ground" sounds like a doggy orgy for profit. Just my 2 cents....
Amy

oriondw

user not active
akemi_hikari said:
Dogs who aren't neutred at a young age have more behaviorial problems. They also only think about mounting everything in site including your visitors legs.. which is annoying. And the cancer thing I agree with.

Neutering your dog will not solve any behavioral issues you may have with him.

oriondw

user not active
Mordy said:
In my live i've never seen a dog with testicular cancer and I lived in a country where they DONT neuter dogs, period.

Not one.

oriondw

user not active
animalbiz said:
Very well said.... better than I did my first, second, third...an on and on try. American Vet. Hype...please. For everyone else, good for you.
Hype, because this started only in past couple of decades. Prior to that no one cared.

You know how much money vets make by neutering dogs?

Then again, Im sure its easier for 99% of people to mutilate their dog rather then keep an eye on it :rolleyes:

RD

Are you dead yet?
Then again, Im sure its easier for 99% of people to mutilate their dog rather then keep an eye on it :rolleyes:
That's exactly it, and why I'm pro-neutering/vasectomy (sp.) for the pets of that 99%. It would be a disaster if nobody sterilized or neutered their dogs, and then let them run loose. People who do that are morons to begin with, but if they -must- own dogs and not watch them, I think that at least preventing them from reproducing is a good idea. Shelters are full enough as it is. :(

Neutering does nothing as far as the dog's behavior goes, a dominant dog will still be a dominant dog after neutering; a dog that marks in the house will still mark after neutering; a humper will still hump after neutering. Removing or reducing the hormones doesn't eliminate behaviors like that. Most of the trainers, behaviorists and of course vets I have spoken with seem to be convinced that the root of all problems with dogs lies within their testicles. :eek: I personally have never had a problem keeping my intact dog under control.

BudgetsDad

Anyone ever consider what the dog...

... thinks about getting his testicles chopped off???

It may be convenient, and with its benefits, but it's still mutilation. Don't fool yourselves.

I don't like tail or ear docking or any ridiculous cosmetic procedures. Spaying and neutering is essentially the same. We are mutilating the dogs to compensate for failings of humans.

~Tucker&Me~

What about cancer? I cant say I agree with docking or cropping but I personally think that neutering is perfectly fine and preferable. Not ALL people can stay home all day and watch their dogs. Besides, after a month or so chances are that the dog forgets the whole thing anyhow.
~Tucker

IliamnasQuest

Loves off-leash training!
Ahh, the old "neuter" debate .. *L*

As a vet tech, I saw numerous cases of testicular tumors. Maybe those unneutered dogs in orion's country died before anyone noticed testicular tumors. Who knows? But the reality is that there ARE a lot of testicular tumors and the only one to blame when a dog ends up with that is the owner who didn't get their dog neutered.

Another health problem seen in intact male dogs is prostate enlargement and subsequent urinary problems. First sign is generally that the owner notices the dog is urinating blood. An intact male often has a prostate enlarge because he smells a bitch in heat and is aroused. Why put your dogs in this position, where they are feeling the effects of hormones that they're not allowed to use?

As far as behavioral issues go .. established behaviors may not change with castration. But a dog that is castrated before it learns to roam and search for a mate, or mark his territory in the house, will generally not learn those after neutering. Behaviors that are hormonally based will not happen as the source of the hormones has been removed.

And anyone worrying about what his dog might think about losing their testicles is projecting WAY too many of their own feelings on the dog! *LOL* One of the reasons dogs bounce back so quickly after most surgeries is that they don't put the emotional attachment on things as we humans do. A bitch with a mammary tumor removed isn't going to mourn the loss of her breast. A dog with an amputated leg is not going to mourn the loss of the leg - they won't think back on how they can't do the same things they used to do. They just adapt and go on, which is a survival technique.

Males don't "miss" their testicles, nor do females miss their ovaries and uterus after surgery. They deal with the discomfort at the time, and life goes on.

Reminds me of the old joke where the woman had one wish, and wished that her dog would be a handsome man. POOF! it happened .. and the man turned to the woman and said "don't you wish now that you hadn't had me neutered??"

It's all wishful thinking to believe that dogs worry about losing testicles or any other part.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

i got a question

i just red this on another website:

Some 70,000 puppies and kittens are born every day in the U.S.

Between four million and six million pets are euthanized every year because they are homeless.

That means between 11,000 and 16,000 pets are euthanized every day simply because they are homeless.

An animal in a shelter is killed every 1.5 seconds.

Only one animal in 10 born in the U.S. gets a good home that lasts a lifetime

all those poor puppys and dogs that the USA puts to sleep every year because they are homeless......

how many are given up by their owners and how many are puppys that the breeder couldnt get rid of??

does anybody know???

and if the majority of puppys have had an owner before (and that would be my guess)......
doesnt that kind of mean that spay& neuter wont really change something about the huge amount of dogs that get PTS every year?

i'll try my best to explain it:
even if puppys can only by purchased from real breeders because every single dog not being used for breeding would be neutered, there would still be the same amount of people who want to buy a dog. and among those people there would still be the same % of bad dogowners who buy a puppy and then surrender it and bring it to a petshelter after only a couple of weeks or months or years.
unless people change (and they never do) the shelters will still be crowded, maybe with more purebred pups but does that matter?

so can anybody tell me how many dogs being PTS are truely without an owner and how many have had an owner before?
because unless the majority of dog in shelters are truely ownerless, spay & neuter wont change THIS problem......

IliamnasQuest said:
Ahh, the old "neuter" debate .. *L*

As a vet tech, I saw numerous cases of testicular tumors. Maybe those unneutered dogs in orion's country died before anyone noticed testicular tumors. Who knows? But the reality is that there ARE a lot of testicular tumors and the only one to blame when a dog ends up with that is the owner who didn't get their dog neutered.

Another health problem seen in intact male dogs is prostate enlargement and subsequent urinary problems. First sign is generally that the owner notices the dog is urinating blood. An intact male often has a prostate enlarge because he smells a bitch in heat and is aroused. Why put your dogs in this position, where they are feeling the effects of hormones that they're not allowed to use?

As far as behavioral issues go .. established behaviors may not change with castration. But a dog that is castrated before it learns to roam and search for a mate, or mark his territory in the house, will generally not learn those after neutering. Behaviors that are hormonally based will not happen as the source of the hormones has been removed.

And anyone worrying about what his dog might think about losing their testicles is projecting WAY too many of their own feelings on the dog! *LOL* One of the reasons dogs bounce back so quickly after most surgeries is that they don't put the emotional attachment on things as we humans do. A bitch with a mammary tumor removed isn't going to mourn the loss of her breast. A dog with an amputated leg is not going to mourn the loss of the leg - they won't think back on how they can't do the same things they used to do. They just adapt and go on, which is a survival technique.

Males don't "miss" their testicles, nor do females miss their ovaries and uterus after surgery. They deal with the discomfort at the time, and life goes on.

Reminds me of the old joke where the woman had one wish, and wished that her dog would be a handsome man. POOF! it happened .. and the man turned to the woman and said "don't you wish now that you hadn't had me neutered??"

It's all wishful thinking to believe that dogs worry about losing testicles or any other part.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska

According to your logic, there would be nothing wrong with amputating a dog's legs for fun because they would soon get over it. Whether or not there is any "projecting" going on is irrelevant.

If people want to fix their dogs, fine. Mine are fixed also. But it is insane to flame people who don't share the same viewpoint, because frankly, they have some very good arguments. Dogs enjoy sex like people do, this is not projecting human emotions onto animals. Anyone who denies this just doesn't pay attention to their dogs. We are taking that away, health benefits or not.

Members online

No members online now.