Please help!! see this puppy

What do you think about this puppy?

Does he looks show quality? he's a miniature poodle

and from the same breeder

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Huh? LOL why not ask the breeder? If he's show quality (which, correct me if I'm wrong, you can't tell till he's mature) the breeder should know.

bubbatd

What is the back ground ??? That should tell you . If it's an on line breeder ....forget it !!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Have you checked pedigrees? That would help a TON in deciding what dog you want, IMO.

Really, do lots of research. Look at dogs you like then look at there pedigree. Now, I wouldn't purchase from a breeder who's lines I didn't like/know.

Huh? LOL why not ask the breeder? If he's show quality (which, correct me if I'm wrong, you can't tell till he's mature) the breeder should know.
Well I asked the breeder for a show prospec, but I whanted to show pics here. :p

What is the back ground ??? That should tell you . If it's an on line breeder ....forget it !!
Oh no, he's not an online breeder, he dosen't even have a website.

I mostly have spoken to him by phone.

He's a mexican judge that won a dog of the year in '94 he breeds american cockers and poodles

here's a pic of the dog of '94

http://www.fcmac.org.mx/systemium/imagenes/PERRODELAO/perro1994.jpg

I talked about this breeder before see here http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65907

Some of The pics of that link are gone, I have to upload them again.

bubbatd

Does your area have a Poodle Breed club where you could check on him ??? How did you find him ?

How old are the pups in the pics?? Have you seen pics of the parents? the lines? What was you opinon/impression of them?

Does your area have a Poodle Breed club where you could check on him ??? How did you find him ?
I found about him in the offitial FCI mag from mexico.

Sadly we don't have any especific breed club in my country, we barely have do shows in only two cities in the entire country. :(

(if it was that easy I would't had the need to import)

As for the poodle condition in the country, is the second more mixed breed here the only ones you can find with a pedigree are imported from petshops.

And the others are from BYB and mills, they don't have resemblace with a poodle exept for curly hair, the body extructure is more like a westy with floppy ears or a havanese or a coton de tulear. :eek:

In the dog shows of last years I only saw 3 poodles in total in the conpetition. :/

2 two where imports and one was a visitor from mexico.

How old are the pups in the pics?? Have you seen pics of the parents? the lines? What was you opinon/impression of them?

Have you checked pedigrees? That would help a TON in deciding what dog you want, IMO.

Really, do lots of research. Look at dogs you like then look at there pedigree. Now, I wouldn't purchase from a breeder who's lines I didn't like/know.

The apricot puppy have a little more than 3 months in ther pic, the red puppy has a bit more than two months.

I haven't seen the parents yet, but I have seen one of the lines this dogs have in person, they have a very good expretion in the face and very nice shoulder-neck position.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I don't know the standard for Poodles and all the hair makes it difficult....but the topline on the first one looks to dip a bit in the middle.

You MUST lay hands on a coated breed to judge it.

Are you planning on showing the dog? You really should be able to trust your breeder....nothing WE tell you can make that happen. Spend the time and questions on your breeder...that is where it will do the most good.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
You really should be able to trust your breeder....nothing WE tell you can make that happen. Spend the time and questions on your breeder...that is where it will do the most good.
Agreed. You have to trust your breeder to feel comfortable buying from them - show prospect or not.

I haven't seen the parents yet, but I have seen one of the lines this dogs have in person, they have a very good expretion in the face and very nice shoulder-neck position.
Is there any way you could alteast read about their dogs/lines? Are they winning in the show ring? Are they producing pups that are winning in the show ring? How the parents/grandparents/great-grandparents/aunts/uncles/etc, are doing will tell you alot about what type of pups these are.

LOL, I've never seen in person the parents of my pup, but I've done a whole lotta pedigree searching and reading about those dogs lines I'm buying from.

Thanks Lizmo and HoundedByHounds.

I notice that on the back, but it appears is the hair that makes it look that way but I'm goin to ask for more pics.

The uncle of the pups is a international winner but I'm goin to ask for more info of the parents. :eek:

I hope to be able to go to mexico by the end of this month, the breeder whants to meet me, so I hope to have luck by my side. :)

What do you think about this puppy?

Does he looks show quality? he's a miniature poodle
I can tell you this. The first picture is either of a different dog or the pictures were done weeks apart.

How old is this puppy? I am personally concerned about the coat. Has it been clipped back at some point or is that full coat never cut? If he hasn't been cut he has no top knott and his body coat is lacking.
Is there a reason you want a red? Are you aware that they are really hard to finish? Reds are also the most likely to have coat problems, i.e. not enough.
The picture with the clipped face looks okay. The ones with out the clipped face look like the coat may be poorly colored...I would also be concerned about width of muzzle on those specifially because you can't see it well.

P.s.
I had to go back and look at those photos again. I really think they may be different dogs. the first photo the puppy has a longer level topline. The second one the puppy appears much shorter in the back. While I am aware that grooming can make a HUGE difference (and I see in the second one it has been clipped), they still look like two seperate animals to me.
Poodles are a *tough* breed to get a good one. Over all this dog is nice. But I have to admit I am skeptical about what he is offering you.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
FK, I think it is two different dogs. Just from the same breeder.

Ok...that's good to know I wasn't imagining things.
Yes they are two differnt dogs, the older one is an apricot the younger is a red one.

How old is this puppy? I am personally concerned about the coat. Has it been clipped back at some point or is that full coat never cut? If he hasn't been cut he has no top knott and his body coat is lacking.
Is there a reason you want a red? Are you aware that they are really hard to finish? Reds are also the most likely to have coat problems, i.e. not enough.
The picture with the clipped face looks okay. The ones with out the clipped face look like the coat may be poorly colored...I would also be concerned about width of muzzle on those specifially because you can't see it well.

P.s.
I had to go back and look at those photos again. I really think they may be different dogs. the first photo the puppy has a longer level topline. The second one the puppy appears much shorter in the back. While I am aware that grooming can make a HUGE difference (and I see in the second one it has been clipped), they still look like two seperate animals to me.
Poodles are a *tough* breed to get a good one. Over all this dog is nice. But I have to admit I am skeptical about what he is offering you.
The apricot in the pic has 3 months, but know he has 4.
The red one has a bit more than two months.

It really looks like the fur was clipped, I remenber that the breeder told me before sending the pic he was getting te pups used to grooming.

As for the colors, I wanted a grey one :eek: but he dosen't have that color.

I don't know mush about if they have more health issues or not :confused:

This breeder only have whites, dark reds and apricots (or light red?)

But for the contest the uncle of this pups is a red and won some prices in the mexican world show.

You see, the FCI standar for poodles have some differences from the AKC one, they just accepted the red as a separete color from the apricot.

Also they have 4 sizes, in the AKC they are just 3.

is a good observation of the back , thanks :)
But I have to admit I am skeptical about what he is offering you.
Why? :confused:

Last edited:

Because I was under the impression it was one dog when it obviously looked like two different ones. That was my fault. Not yours.

If you really want to know if these are good puppies or not you need to go to a few shows. Get your hands on some dogs and observe and ask questions. Be prepared to get 100+ different answers but still ask them and file away the information. The most important thing is exposure. You cannot learn to see a good dog unless you are exposing yourself to what a good dog looks like.

Also, ask for the pedigree of the parents, as well as health clearances. Then go to some breeder's websites, national breed clubs, that sort of thing and read up on what health issues are related to poodles in paticular. Email some breeders in the US and ask them what they think of the pedigree, the pictures and so on as well. Some may not bother to answer but some will. If the pedigree's have dogs with titles on them it's a good sign.

This breeder for example, has the health clearances listed, and there are all champions in the pedigree. Not that many dogs and not breeding very often.
http://www.coronadopoodles.ca/envy.html

This breeder doesn't list pedigree OR health information, and has a ton of dogs.... hmmm... also has merles and parti colored puppies which is a fault according to the standards. And not sure if that's really a poodle either.
http://www.clanofthepoodle.com/siberia.html

Lana

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ive heard a few very good things about this guy, mostly about his cockers though (i have a frined who shows cockers in mexico and this guy wins big with his cockers)i dont know enough about poodles to tell you much on the pups, but i agree, check health clearences and show results on the parents.

Members online

No members online now.