Obedience and Rally O training

Elrohwen

My second video for precision heeling. Much better! I ditched the frisbee for a taller disc and he did so much better. With a flat object he doesn't seem to realize if one foot is off (or slightly off) so he thinks he's right and gets frustrated at me. With the over turned dish, he understands what I want much better.

He added some of the pivoting on his own if I stepped away and to the side, so I showed that here. He's horrible at moving counter clockwise though, which is funny to watch. He always ends up with his butt at 10:00.

http://youtu.be/lcHUWa-Bzoc

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
We did some obedience practice last night. With the snow too icy to run on this week and sitting in a crate for four hours while waiting your turn and watching your little brat bro work in rally with mom...Lars' flux capacitor almost hit 1.21 gigawatts while doing Utility Obedience. I've got everything in place...just a few normal bugs we have to work on and that will get worked out with more Utility mileage on both of us.

He is my first official utility dog...and I'm self taught in it for the most part. So...I'm just thrilled we've gotten to this point. I'm thinking just going for it and entering him in the spring in Util A.

[YOUTUBE]CcxJU3StgfU[/YOUTUBE]

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
We did a show and go yesterday and we ran Utility and Open. Utility was great and I think we would have qualified if it had been real. Lars nailed everything...the only real blip we had was he veered to the right on his go outs. There was a power outlet on the wall and a lot of the dogs were veering to that instead of the stantion. The wall behind the ring gates was corrugated metal with strong vertical lines...I think the stantion was very hard to see but the power outlet wasn't. That's one thing to proof for!

There was a guy taking pics of the dogs and handlers and I'll post some for you guys!

Retrieve over the high jump - Open

Heeling - halt

Directed Jumping Go Outs...

Lars loving life in obedience -

Had our "Fun Agility and Obedience Trial" on Saturday. I must say we had fun. Kris was so excited at all the strange dogs and all the people that it was hard to get much focus. She had gotten used to the four or five dogs we trained with all the time.

Her heeling left a lot to be desired, especially when they threw a dumbbell in the ring next to us and she went leaping through the air. She did the figure 8 really well. When we finished the heel on leash, the judge asked if I wanted to do it off-lead and was really surprised when I said yes. She actually did it better off-lead and stayed with me. I think she expected her to just take off. Her Stand for Examination was perfect which we have been really working on. Her recall would have been perfect except she went right into heel, will have to work on that. Probably a good thing she went to heel as she came so fast I think if she had tried to stop in front of me she would have knocked me over.

She passed the Long Sit and I never expected a problem with the Long Down but she broke. She has never gone up to any of the other dogs so does not distract anyone else. When I took her out afterwards she had to really pee so that was my fault.

I am really pleased with her progress and she should be ready for Rally later this summer. Her Agility classes were cancelled, not enough dogs, so I am going to concentrate on the Obedience right now.

SpringerLover

I am so darn proud of Gabby. She has rekindled my love of obedience. I am so excited for our first show coming up! And good grief does she make me happy. Lauren and I went out to work at PSP today and Gabby worked just like we were working in the hallway at home. All of her heeling has been offered so far and she offered to work as we were walking into the store today. So much to be happy about with her. She doesn't have behavior chains for heeling patterns yet, but we've been working on the pieces. I've been trying SO hard not to lump behaviors!

Video from a couple days ago.
http://youtu.be/SqiVfdOIXTc

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Now that agility and puppy class are over, we've been focusing a lot on OB again. :D

I forget how much I love training this stuff. We've been working with a new positive competitive OB instructor and she's given me some great tips for building more duration in stays and heeling and to stop Rider from forging ahead and keeping his head up the entire time. We are having a blast. I've been doing food driving for Tulsa as well and starting to really work on body awareness. Doing stands, backups, wraps around a pole, and accordion downs. I'm looking through dumbbells right now to start with retrieves.

SO FUN.

At a training facility we worked at last week:

crazedACD

So, when's the first trial Meagan? :p

I need to find a new place to train. My schedule is just totally erratic right now, it's driving me crazy. I found out the people I was training with before are setting up a place here in my town but the last person I ever would want to train under is going to teach some of the nights. Boo. Once we are done with this month doing confo, I'm buckling down into obedience.

I'm also thinking about entering into a UKC obedience/rally trial with Romeo this weekend. Considering running Fi in rally but I'm not sure, it might be totally bad :p.

crazedACD

I misread the information wrong, went to the trial, and there was no obedience. Gah.

So now we have two legs towards a rally title in yet another venue :p. The scores could have been better (got a 93 in both trials), but I'm okay with them considering I haven't brought Romeo to a class in more than a year. And you know, he's half blind ;). The second trial he did really well but I forgot a sign (of course).

SpringerLover

I am debating entering Gabby in an AKC rally trial the end of October. She isn't currently ready but we can probably do 10-12 signs and pass. Much shorter courses than our usual WCRL. She has been on restriction because of her foot but I think we have time.

Such decisions. Here is a video from her last trial. I love love love so hard her moments of brilliance. And then green dog shows up. But she is such a good girl.
http://youtu.be/lKDmvzVLCiA

Red.Apricot

Do it, SpringerLover!

Gosh rally is so fun! Elsie's getting close to her RAE, and I'm kind of bad about leaving things 'unfinished' so I don't think we'll do more rally after she gets it, because then I'd have to get her RAE2 and so on and I don't want to commit that much money to entry fees when I could be working on her obedience titles. :rofl1: I'm sad though, because rally is such a blast! I really don't think we'd ever have been successful in obedience without rally as a stepping stone.

crazedACD

This is going to sound really self-absorbed, I apologize in advance, but I just need to brag on my dog.

I did a few drop-in classes, and like two structured obedience classes (not..6 weeks x2, like actually two, hour long classes :p) with Fiona when she was a baby. My schedule changed, I have not actually taken any classes with her for a long time. We do confo or random events like barn hunt or lure coursing.
Of course I've been working with her, working on heel position and working on random obedience exercises...frequently, but not totally seriously.

I drug her out to drop-in obed class tonight...holy crap. We are starting to come together. NICE heeling. Really nice. Of course she would disengage here and there but...wow. All I could think was "who taught you this?! When did you decide that you get it?!". She has nice finishes. Sit stay? Was good. Down stay...NOT good..but it was the end of class and she got goofy. Recall and fronts were good.

Ahhh. All of a sudden there is a light at the end of the tunnel... :D This is my favorite part, where it starts to get fun with fine tuning.

xpaeanx

There is a rally trial in a month for Cynosport that I want to do. Entries close tomorrow (oops!) but they will be accepting day of entries.

Do Cynosport Rally trials typically fill? Or do I have a good chance of competing? This will be our first competition. :eek:

SpringerLover

Yaaaay. Do it.

Some of our trials have filled but not many. It really depends on your area. I have accepted pre-entries with DOS pricing after the closing for people who still wanted a for sure spot. So you could ask about that.

xpaeanx

So my goal for this trial is to just be in the ring with my dog. I have major anxiety issues, so just that step will be huge. Even if we walk in do a sit and run away screaming. :rofl1:

I emailed the trial secretary to see if I can scan the entry form and email it to her for my "entry" and I'd pay with a cc then. If she is willing to accept late entries like you said you were I figured that would show I wanted it and she would maybe say "oh just mail it in and I'll keep your spot." So we will see.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
So my goal for this trial is to just be in the ring with my dog. I have major anxiety issues, so just that step will be huge. Even if we walk in do a sit and run away screaming. :rofl1:

I emailed the trial secretary to see if I can scan the entry form and email it to her for my "entry" and I'd pay with a cc then. If she is willing to accept late entries like you said you were I figured that would show I wanted it and she would maybe say "oh just mail it in and I'll keep your spot." So we will see.
Send me details!

SpringerLover

I hope you get in! Good luck and have fun! :)

Members online