NextDog Plans?

DogNation

Probably an eight week old golden retriever. That's what my current dog started out as, and the dog I had as a child. Well, started out as in the sense that that's when my family and then later I acquired them.

However, that won't be until my current dog passes away. He's only four years old, so if he lives an average lifespan for a golden, he'll have another 6-8 years.

It's also contingent on me being able to find a golden of the appropriate age that I can afford, that my health doesn't further deteriorated beyond my ability to stretch myself and care for a puppy, and that I still have a place that will allow a dog of that size.

It took me probably six months of searching and haggling with people before I found an eight week old golden retriever at a rate I could afford the last time. I almost gave up.

I am not sure what I'd do if I couldn't find another one at the appropriate time. I love this breed, and I cherish the experience of raising a puppy to adulthood a lot. As it looked less likely that I would find an eight week old golden the last time, I talked to people offering other breeds and other ages at different prices, but struggled to pull the trigger. I'd certainly think about it, but in the end it's a tough compromise in the sense that a dog is a big financial, physical, and emotional commitment that usually lasts a decade or more. I am so set on this breed and raising a dog from being a very young puppy that having to adjust to a different situation might tilt the balance and make the whole thing a less viable path for me.

I think if I absolutely could find a golden puppy who was eight weeks old, I might consider something like an eight week old Cheasapeake Bay Retriever, an Irish Setter, or a Labrador, but the firs two breeds tend to have limited sellers who demand even high prices than Golden Retrievers breeders, and I haven't interacted with dogs from either of those two breeds, so the odds of finding one who would slim, and I'd probably actually want to interact a little with the pappa or momma dog and get a feel for their adult temperament.

Labradors seem a bit more readily available, especially if one is willing to settle for "mostly Labrador" mixed breed, but when I've interacted with them, while they do seem like less dogs that are largely similar to goldens on a surface level, there is a certain spark and personality that is very different and almost less developed. I think maybe goldens have a little more intelligence and a little stronger personalities. Labs are sort of the more generic version that moves back to a mean that is broadly acceptable to dog owners whereas goldens are sort of bred to an extreme that if you like, you have a hard time not seeking it out again and again, and, if you don't, you really don't. I clearly love the breed.

I think if I ever strayed away from golden retrievers as a choice rather than as something dictated by what my available options were, it'd probably be under a scenario where I had two dogs simultaneously, which doesn't seem likely. I'm a one dog kind of guy and don't really have the finances or the physical strength to keep up with more than one at a time, but you never know- were I to somehow wind up married or something (Unlikely) and we could keep a 1 to 1 dog to people ratio and have two incomes coming to bare, I could see getting my dog a friend, and I doubt I'd want two of the same species at the same time (Seems a little redundant). That's where I'd sort of open things wide up and really see what's out there. I'd probably want something really different as a second dog if I already had my favorite breed.

Actually, Chesapeake Bay Retrievers have always intrigued me. I've never seen one, but I've always wanted to meet one and see what they are like. I've often heard they are very close cousins to Golden Retrievers, but have their origins in my extended region rather than the UK, and are a relatively small (in terms of total numbers, not dog size), and are a very interesting breed in general with a lot of interesting quirks. If anything could ever voluntarily move me off a series of golden retrievers in succession, it might be the Chesapeake Retrievers. I just find it unlikely that a) I'd ever move off of having a golden as a pet voluntarily, and that b) I could find a CBR that I could afford. I'd love to learn more about the breed, though.

Anyone here own or have a chance to interact a lot with Chesapeake Bay Retrievers?

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution
Oh jeez not for another 5 years. Either another Finkie (potentially a Jari daughter if everything checks out with him and I find a suitable female), or a Buhund. OR if I really feel like I need a stereotypical sports-bred dog so that people in the agility world will take me seriously as a trainer, a Sheltie or even a Koolie.

Yay for all the dog / puppy plans. :D For everyone with all the plans already in place, I hope it works out for you all!

Katem

I'd like to do more with Pig and Badger before entertaining the idea of starting another dog. And it definitely wouldn't happen while Bear is still here. It's already hard on him having to rotate with Badger, losing out on even more time to another dog just wouldn't be fair. So hopefully Nextdog is a far ways off. It'll probably be a herder of some sort, something in the 30-60lb range.

Brattina88

I've got two potential possibilities next year. Both are herding breeds and so it depends on what I decide... health testing and heat cycles :p ;)

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Either a Boxer or a JRT before next year. Hopefully. Not setting any plans until I get my own place though!!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Probably not for another eight years or so. Likely will then be either a FCR (Miragrandpup) or BC. Waaaay too soon to know.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Currently, I've got a 3-yr plan for a Doberman. As soon as I'm not renting and I'm ready. If Middie passes in those next few years, that might change - it might accelerate the planning or mean I'm putting it off for a while because I'm not ready. I don't know how I'll feel. After Tom died, I didn't want to foster, I just wanted to stop everything. So, we'll see. If Middie's around, we'll probably stick to the plan.

I still need to figure out breeders, but I'll deal with that when the time comes. And if I can get a (non-rescue) adult, I'd be even happier.

SoCrafty

We will definitely (like 98% sure) get a dog within the next year.

Top three choices: Collie, Sheltie or Cocker.

Collie has been the breed I have wanted FOREVER. I've read up on them, met them, know that I love them. But...I am leaning towards a smaller, more portable breed. One to go out on the boat with, can take with us in the car everywhere, etc. The only drawback is the size for me, but its a better size for him.

Shelties are a compromise between OH and I. He wanted an Aussie, I wanted a smaller breed. They have more energy than a Collie, which is what he likes, they are super smart, and they come in Merle, which he also likes. They are portable, and look like a mini-Collie which is what I like. Drawbacks are that I read so many things on them. Sometimes it sounds like a perfect fit, other times it sounds like these are too high energy, barky, maniacs. I like the breed. Just don't know for sure if this will be NEXTDOG. I keep going back and forth. One day I'm positive. Next day I'm like no.

Cockers. He grew up with them, I had one which I'm missing these days. We know them, like them. Good energy, smart enough, portable, I know I can handle the grooming, good with kids. Major drawback for me is health and their birdieness. I have two birds and we want chickens.

So. We have no idea which of those three that we will pick. But we will be getting one :)

Slick

Kristina
I would like to get a second dog, but that will only happen when I own a house. Its already a little difficult finding a good/cheap place to rent with a backyard with one dog, I don't want to get a second dog and then make that even more difficult.

But when I settle to live somewhere, I will probably get a dog soon thereafter. Leo would really enjoy having a playmate, and I would love to also have a female dog (to balance out the male dog derpy derp :p).

This time I went with a border collie mix, whom I adopted as a young adult. Next time, I would like to get a purebred border collie from a reputable breeder whom I raise as a puppy. Leo is pretty laid back for a border collie. He is very active but not sharp at all. Next time, I would love to go for a more typical border collie.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Shelties are a compromise between OH and I. He wanted an Aussie, I wanted a smaller breed. They have more energy than a Collie, which is what he likes, they are super smart, and they come in Merle, which he also likes. They are portable, and look like a mini-Collie which is what I like. Drawbacks are that I read so many things on them. Sometimes it sounds like a perfect fit, other times it sounds like these are too high energy, barky, maniacs. I like the breed. Just don't know for sure if this will be NEXTDOG. I keep going back and forth. One day I'm positive. Next day I'm like no.
They vary a lot depending on breeding. There's people breeding them for the elite, elite levels of agility and also people breeding them just for pets. I find you either love them or hate them. FTR none of mine were barky maniacs.

If you haven't gotten to meet some, I'd definitely do it! Especially meet the lines you're interested in.

FG167

We have no plans in the next short while.

IF Jentry AND Bones work out for IPO/health, they'll probably be bred and one of us will keep a pup from that.

IF we move to the country and buy some property, DH wants a terrier of some sort.

Once Limit is retired or old, or both, I'm getting another Kelpie :)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If all goes to plan I know where my next dog will come from :) she's only 9 months old though so plenty of time to wait and see lol suits me fine. 2.5 to 3 years in the making. Plans to get her dual champion (trial and show) and she's rocking the show world currently. Will just watch how it pans out :)

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Probably not for another eight years or so. Likely will then be either a FCR (Miragrandpup) or BC. Waaaay too soon to know.
I should probably add that I don't plan on adding to the household until we are down to two. Which, as BostonBanker said, if I have my way will be never because my dogs will live forever.

From a reality standpoint, however, by the time I am down to two, at least one of the remaining two will (hopefully) be a supersenior. We'll just see what happens. Worse case scenario, I still don't see us adding anyone before Lodin hits five (about the same spacing as Mira -> Lodin) and he just turned six months so it'll be a long while.

So worst case scenario, ~four years. Best case, ten years.

*optimistic*

Tortilla

Blonde Raccoon
I don't even think that far ahead. I just got Paris. :rofl1:

I'm totally happy with just Paris and Seamus and focusing on them right now. I am having so much fun with these guys. :) I won't be getting another dog for at least five or six years, if THAT. Either another BC or a Rough Collie but I'm not even really sure, it is waaaay too far away to even think about.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Next dog is either by the end of 2014 or hopefully early to mid 2015.

We were pretty set on wanting a xolo. I'm struggling to find a standard size breeder that fits my musts in a breeder plus that is willing to work with me on pairing me up with a pup that would be suitable as a service dog candidate.

I decided I need to have a back up breed and still deciding on that. If I could have it my way I would probably end up with another Ibizan (preferably female). Still figuring out what other breeds might be suitable for what I am looking for that are breeds I actually want to live with.

Members online

No members online now.