newbie, dog will not give ball back (help)

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
BUT how the hell does a dog manage to pick up a fully pumped up ball, it will be broken soon, another 10 pound gone but its worth it..

I'm very happy she likes tennis balls (cheap) and easy for her to chew them up hence new tennis ball no problem......
Sounds like she could use a really tough toy. I have been totally impressed with the Planet Dog big dog balls (look like a globe) and the Triple Crown Everlasting Treat Ball. They both last forever with my old guy who loves to tear toys up.

jimmy

thanks for reply, I only have her for one more month and the old tennis balls are working great she likes them more than the football.....she still get's stubbon about them and will not give them back so I tryed the 2 ball thing (trading it for another one) dont work but if I have the second ball in my hand she drops the other one so I'm able to pick up the first one prrr but its not always easy and now she can get 2 bloody tennis balls in her mouth so I need a third one to get the other 2 back haha. oh well bit of fun.

other than that she been great very friendly dog.....I will add she will not give up the ball once she is tired guess she just wants to chew it but since she got aggro when I first tryed to take the ball inside house she was ready to bite....shame really as I think she gets a little bored...

cheers.

corgi_love

Regis is an all toy killer. I have found one ball(it even has a squeaker!) that he actually cannot chew up at Petco. I will go back(going to buy more :D) and find out the brand for you. It is much like a kong- indestructable. A Kong is the only toy Regis cant chew up, besides this ball. I will PM the brand to you once I find it :)

(sorry to repeat anything already said)
I taught Regis "drop it"(leave it, etc etc) before I went through the whole ball dropping. There are plenty of methods to teach it that you can find online(ok, ok. So I forgot how I taught him lol!), but once he has drop it down, which is a really important command anyway, everytime he brings he ball I say drop it with a hand signal. Now he does it on his own :)

I have found one ball(it even has a squeaker!) that he actually cannot chew up at Petco. I will go back(going to buy more :D) and find out the brand for you. It is much like a kong- indestructable. A Kong is the only toy Regis cant chew up, besides this ball. I will PM the brand to you once I find it :)
Could you post the brand in this thread? I'd like to know too. I got a toy for my 16-month-old Rottie that I read about on a Rottie forum. It lasted less than an hour!

TIA!

corgi_love

Could you post the brand in this thread? I'd like to know too. I got a toy for my 16-month-old Rottie that I read about on a Rottie forum. It lasted less than an hour!

TIA!
Oh absolutely :D I really reccomend it. He broke the squeakie inside, but the ball remains in tact. I will go sometime today or tomorrow and let yall know :)

corgi_love

OK, I went back to Petco but they didn't have any left. So picture coming later.

Brand: Ruff Toys
Label Said: Ruff-Bounce and Speak Ball.
Price: $6.99

It comes in light blues and greens(at least the only ones I've seen).

jimmy

Thanks for that I might get one for her so she can mess around inside.

The problem with getting the ball back is the dog has a swedish owner so the commands she knows are in swdish and I cant speak the lingo, but to be honest she understands sit now but drop it will not go into her head she nows what I want her to do but she's to stubbern after a while and will not drop the bloody ball when the walk is over.

Today I could not get the ball back even useing the 2 ball trick, I think she's worked it out so the ball had to come inside which would not be a problem but she get all anal about it like its a bone or something.

So I totaly ignored her and took away her water ball for 30min (not sure if thats a good move) but then I called her she dropped the ball and drank.

Its a little annoying maybe a toy that stays inside might work has she will maybe have a sort of differant opion about it and not get all silly about it.

I could just take the ball away after a shorter time of play no problem as she only keeps it when she is all tired out.

I guess timing is the key.

lizzybeth727

You've had her for a few weeks now, when are the owners coming back?? I hope they're paying you at least.

And yes, keeping the game short seems like probably a good option.

jimmy

Damm my spelling sucks lol must read my post's back.

She's back in 4 weeks but it's all a bit up in the air so I hope she stick by her word otherwise it's a trip to her parents and she wont like that.

I've had the dog now for 4 weeks and for the most part it's fun and keeps me busy but can be a little stressfull but I said I'll do it so there you go.

Nope not getting paid just hope there's such a thing as karma.

Thanks again for the advise I will cut the games short, I've worked out when she's tired so should'nt be a problem.

beloved1

My dogs love(d) to chase water from the hose. They kept really busy doing that, especially when it's warm out. Plus icecubes are great chew toys and good for doggy airconditioning, too.
My ACD will not drop the dam ball either, UNLESS I have another squeaky ball, in which case we trade balls every time. I don't know if you can use squeaky balls with Rotts. tho. There is a toy that stands up to my ACD (hey they can bring down cows, they're tough) and they are the airKONG yellow-fuzzed squeaky balls. If the ACD can't kill it, the Rott won't either. Try two of the small Squeak footballs. You can squeak one and throw it and then when she brings it back, squeak the other until she drops the one in her mouth and throw it and so on. Most balls don't last a day with him, so trust me, these are TOUGH enough!!!

If we had a timer on who destroys balls faster, who would win? might be a toss-up!

Members online

No members online now.