Nervous breakdown?Puppy Blues?Please help

KayleeBby

I got Taj at the same age (he is 9 weeks today)

and it does get easier. The first week I had him, it was just insane!

I completely understand how you feel!

I have Taj sleeping in the laundry at night now and he doesn't cry or anything.

When he bites I immediately give him a toy. He isn't allowed to bite anything except his toys.

and he still gets excited around my son (4) and brothers (6 & 13) but they only let him bite his toys too and he has never made anyone bleed! :/

oommggg Taj is the cutest thing EVER!BOOooooo boo!So cute!
Yeah she doesnt cry so much at night now though,however we just had an "incident".
I put her in her crate while I showered,she was crying etc.I come out of the bath and she is HOWWWLINGGG so i checked on her in her crate and low and behold she has managed to poop on her toys,walked over it and spread it over her blankets,turned her water upside down...So I gave her a quick bath dried her off and put her in her travel crate which she is now sleeping in whilst I cleaned out her entire crate!
Obviously she must have only done this since she needed to go toilet,but she also does this at night time!?I take her toilet before bed and whenever I hear her cry at night I take her out,say "toilet" and she normally doesn't go but when I come to her crate in the morning she has poo'd somewhere!!?
This is starting to become a bit of a pain because I don't want this to become a habit!During the day I take her to her toilet every time I sense she is going to "do" something and 8/10 times she will go on command....so I don't understand whats going wrong at night!?!

Opps I pressed enter and it posted but I also wanted to ask you how long you leave Taj alone in the day time now?I am trying to get Coco used to being alone but she howls SO LOUD!

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I had a crate for Bodhi when I first got her and found the same thing.

As soon as I binned the crate and let her sleep free the problem went too. I left paper down for her when I was out....

Toilet training is trial and error, especially when you're not in all day. But they get it in the end as long as you are consistent and patient.

When you say "sleep freely" you mean where ever she pleased?
At the moment I don't have a gate so the crate is the only way I can keep her enclosed at night.
Do you thing maybe the size has anything to do with it?Its a large crate,especially for her size and I did start off with the toilet INSIDE the crate,but moved it as people suggested that would teach her to toilet in her bed?Maybe she is just still getting used to the toilet being outside the crate...
I've ordered a puppy pen now,mainly for when I go on holiday or to other peoples houses,but I also thought this might be a easier way of keeping her inside the house since her toilet could go in there easily...
Can I also ask how quickly did you build up to her being alone?and how?

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
At first in the kitchen with the door closed. Then in our room on her own bed. We brought the crate into the bedroom for a short period I seem to remember. It was nearly 6 years ago now :p

Well, I worked full time, so did my boyfriend at the time, so Bodhi had to adapt pretty quickly. I think I had a week off when I got her, so I used that time popping in and out. I worked close to home, so the first week or so (can't remember fully) I popped in on her at lunch time. But honestly, I think that just made her more anxious as she got all excited to see me, then I left again.

I don't think you should wait any length of time to begin basic training with a puppy. She should already have mastered sit, down etc by now - they're like sponges at that age and the sooner you start, the better they'll be. And reinforce those basic commands for the rest of her life as you see fit.

Thanks!Guess I'm just going to have to suck up and deal with the howling.
I started training her from day one,she can do sit,down(nearly)and OFF.Defintly need to do more now though!

KayleeBby

I leave him alone 5 - 7 hours a day. I leave him outside for up to an hour after I first wake up, plus the time i am at work (4 hours a day) and If I go shopping or to friends places.

I take him too the farmers market, my son's school, my parents house, dog park and a few other places, but I usually leave him home alot.

He is pretty good at going to the bathroom in "his spot" (the training pad in the back corner in the laundry) and goes outside. but with the kids i can't get up at crazy hours of the night, otherwise I would never get any sleep at all. today he had one accident, though. Hubby shut the laundry door so he couldn't get in there and he ran out to me and pee'd in front of me, cos i didn't understand what he wanted lol

If she has only done it once, it probably won't become a habit. Just make sure you take her too the toilet next time :p

Members online