My Local Dog Pound

joce

This is my baby Ginger that came from the pound years ago.

12 or 13 years ago I think! She is an old girl.

Brattina88

Whoa... I stray from the interenet for a couple of weeks and look what I miss!

I'd just like to first point out that when I brought up the abuse situations I did say supposedly (I did type it wrong lol). Its difficult to determine over computers, but I am not the type of person to think I know everything about everything and can't be persuaded otherwise :) My opinions on Mich and the like a purely my own opinion from my own personal experience with him (as I did say IMO). I'm used to the responses I get on that.
Now then, I'm glad I am finally about to get some reliable information.:) I am curious how you have this information, however. Do tell us all you can, I want to help!
I have noticed there has been improvement. Just last month I suggested a dog at the pound to a co-worker (an American Eskimo). She adopted him and he is doing great in her house with her other other dog [Now I'm getting off track] The changes seem to be portrayed that this is due to the new dog warden, go figure.
The liability is being worked on... What are the odds they will be able to let people volunteer? I know the whole insurance deal is a big issue and its not easy for this to occur.
JRMCOR said:
but there has been so many pretenders that it's hard to tell them apart
Especially when you only know one side of the story...

JRMCOR said:
By the way you need a licence to own a dog - but anyone can have kids.... Kind a makes you wonder.....
I have never heard it put this way. It makes you think.....

So it seems some major changes are going to occur here. I'm curious to know with all of the money issues here in Elyria (the day care kids are having a Stroke about the pool issues :cool: ) how low on the totem pole is the dog pound? Thank you for giving it to us straight, and continue to do so as much as possible, keep me updated. I am willing do anything I can to push to better the chances for the animals, beyond volunteering as well. With this we have to work together. If anybody can make things work dog lovers definitely can :D

Tbecker48

BTW Joce, Ginger is a real cutie pie!! She doesn't look that old. Pleople always say that about my Chow/Shepherd I got from the APL 12 years ago. They are always surprised when I say she's 12. But I took her for a walk the other day and well....her body was telling her the truth! :( She was tuckered out!!

I think we know that some wonderful dogs come from the Lorain County Dog Pound (or Kennel as I see they are calling it now, nice touch ;) ) And with the word spread and the facility improving, I'm hoping that more people will realize that.

joce

She shows her age when she walks! We took her to mill hollow the other day and I thought i was going to have to carry her back to the car. It could just be laziness though. She has kind of a waddle. THe only problem we have ever had with her is an allergy flare up in the fall and benadryl generally clears it right up.

IlUvMyAnImAlZ05

Cats&Dogs r what I live 4
Adorable!

Hello!,
WOW she is adorable! What is her breed? Or is she a mix? Both of my dogs are rescues from the pound they are young though. Both are a year 1/2. I think the best place to get a dog is the pound/shelter they are allways so sweet!
~!~Mandy~!~

mellied

Pitbull lover
Now this is interesting.....

I live in Elyria myself and I am finding all of this stuff interesting. Do you guys all live in Elyria or Lorain County? What have you been hearing about the pound? I know there is some pretty messed up stuff going on but I am curious to hear what you guys are hearing. and what is this stuff about Mitch? Fill me in.
BTW, I have a real issue with the handle they have on Pitbulls, that is one of my biggest problems with the pound. :mad:

Tbecker48

My thoughts about Mitch are all my personal opinion. You can PM me if you want details. Nothing horrible just a personality clash.

I totally agree with you about the pit bull situation in Lorain County. I talked to one of the deputies at the pound and he said he doesn't agree with it either. He said they have to put down some really nice dogs soley because they are pits. That's terrible!! It's a county law I guess. He said there are meetings on Thursdays and if we want it changed we should go to the meetings and be heard. My husband and I want to go but we don't even own a pit bull and don't have a lot of support to back us up except a print out I requested from this board from another member. Maybe some of us could go to a meeting.

By the way, I had to deal with a couple of the Deputy Dog Wardens from the Pound the other day. Two dogs were attacking my chickens and they killed one. I ran out there and tried to shoo them away buy they wouldnt' leave. These two dogs are forever running through the neighborhood and this isn't the first time they messed with my chickens. I called the dog pound and they came out right away and caught one of the dogs and the other took off. I told them that I knew who the owners were and I didn't want their dogs taken away but I want them to start containing their dogs from now on. They went down to the owner's house and told the owner that she owed me $50 for my dead chicken. She was ticked off about how much but he told her she either pays me the $50 or they will give her 3 tickets which will cost a lot more. She came down and paid me $50. The two deputies were extremely nice and very helpful. They were even nice to the bad dog who attacked my chicken.

mellied

Pitbull lover
Are you from Elyria?
Well I do have a Pit so I would be more than willing to go to meetings if I knew it would help. Did they tell you where the meetings are at?
Do you know which wardens came out to your house? I have never had any issues with any of them, they have always been very nice any time I have dealt with them. I just don't like the way they run things at the pound (aka..Kennel). :mad:

joce

Ginger is a beagle,wire hair terrier mix. She is an old girl :)

I live in henrietta/birmingham. I really haven't dealt with the pound people or mich a lot except to call about some horses once. I don't know what ever happened with it though.

Tbecker48

I live in S. Amherst. The one younger guy's name was Nelson. I didn't catch the other guy's name. Nelson is the one who told us that we could go to meetings regarding the pit bulls. I can't remember where he said the meeting were. Maybe my husband remembers. He gave us a print out about the vicious dog law being lifted in Ohio. You could always call there and ask them when and where the meetings are.

mellied

Pitbull lover
Ahh yes, Nelson, he is one of my favorite workers there. Very friendly guy, you can tell he is looking out for the interest of the dogs. There is another guy there, can't remember his name for the life of me, that is awesome, he goes out of his way for the dogs.
I am part of a group, you might even be interested in joining, called United for Animal Justice (website:http://www.loraincounty.com/ufaj/index.htm). The group is all about changing the going's on at the pound (kennell). Look at the site and let me know if you are interested.

JRMCOR

Hello Every one, some answers for Brattina88

Watch the Commissioners' meeting on Saturday at noon and Monday night at 11 PM. Beginning with this weeks meeting the Commissioners and department heads will be taking turns each week introducing adoptable dogs from the kennel. The dogs will be kept several extra weeks if needed to get them adopted. The meetings are shown on the LCCC channel on every cable company in the county. Check for the proper channel for your system

The funding problems in Elyria have nothing to do with the County Kennel. The kennel is independently funded and separate from the city. It is also not a general fund department in the County so downturns in the County also have little effect on the operation. The "kennel" name was used of and on for some time. One of the things that the United Justice people can take credited for is requesting to use it permanently.

I look listen and learn that's how I get my information. I also know some strange people...... :)

The County site now list all dogs in the kennel not just the adoptable ones. This way an owner can check after hours and try and find their lost pets and people can view potential adoptable dogs earlier this should help with adoptions and customer service.

Links to other dog help sites are being developed and a new e-mail alert signup should be available soon so people can get on an "alert" message when new animals are available for adoption or need rescue etc. The details still have to be worked out.

I am certain that the volunteer issue will be sorted our in the next few months and expansion plans are in the discussion phase to get rid of those stupid stacked cages and replace them with the same style as the larger ones. There will be a fenced outside area for potential owners to bond with the dogs they are considering adopting (whether permitting of course...... LOL) and a new room so visiting vets can provide some medical care when needed. Remember there are funds now available to do this.

More to come........................................ The future so bright we need sunglasses to see...

JRMCOR

Pitt bulls....The meetings are every Thursday at 9:30 am on the 4th floor of the County Administration Building in the Public Hearing room.

The pit bull issue is very touchy with most residents. While you will get significant support for other issues from dog lovers, they themselves are deeply divided on the matter. The procedure in the County SOP is not to allow these dogs to be adopted.

Remember the kennel is technically a "safety forces" operation. Deputy dog wardens have very similar authority to that of a deputy sheriff. It was deemed long ago that the community was better served by not allowing these dogs to be reintroduced into the general population.

mellied

Pitbull lover
And that is what I would personally like to see change. At least if they could be adopted out to rescues vs. just being adopted out to the general population. It is wrong to discriminate against the breed as such and not give them a chance, punish the deed not the breed.

Tbecker48

Hey Melanie. I just realized something...We haven't seen any pics of your dog/s/???? What the ??? :confused: You better quit holding out on us and post a pic pretty quick!! :D

mellied

Pitbull lover
Oh, I L.O.V.E. to post pics of my babies, I am all about bragging when it comes to them. Just tell me how I go about doing it here and I would be happy to.

Tbecker48

Well...I think you have to have your pictures URL from a phot website. Like I use Photobucket.com. Then either start a new thread or post a reply and go into your message box and hit the little image box above. (looks like a mountain and a sun) then I enter the URL in the box where it asks for it. (You can find your photos URL by right clicking on it and hitting properties.) copy the URl in the box hit enter and it should come up.

If this doesn't make sense or if you think there's a better way, I'm sure you can search the forum for better instructions.

Hope to see your babies soon!

Here's a pic of my Teddi. I got her 12 years ago from the Lorain Co. APL. She's my big sweetheart.

joce

Look what we found yesterday!

I saw them last night and when I went to get the paper today the black one was just laying in teh road down the street. He is kinda on the skinny side and she is rather chunky and nipply so I'm kinda worried about that. The boy isn't fixed eitheir. THey are kind of short for labs but otherwise look it to me. SOemone said it may just be their line though and the fact that someone is just mass breeding them in their backyard. No collars and i don't know whos they could be seeing as how I know the whole town. They have just been sitting on my porch now for hours and no ones looking for them. I wonder if he was int he road all night. So anyway, I don't want to take them to the pound and i don't think my cousin is taking em both so are you guys up for some cute labs? They like to play fetch :) I'm still hoping there people will show up but the way they were acting at the church(where they were sitting) I think someone dumped them.

Tbecker48

Wow!! Look at that tongue!!!!!! :eek: They are so adorable. I can't believe someone would just dump them. Well....Yes I guess I would! People are idiots. If you want, I can email my friend who does a lot of cross posts with some rescue people. you can email me at [email protected] and give me your email and/or phone number and see if someone contacts you. I just don't have the room. 3 dogs, a cat and 2 kids.

Hopefully they will either be reunited with their family or find a new loving home soon.

Members online

No members online now.