Living With Allergies, Asthma and a Bichon Frise

The Bichon Frise is always in high demand. This should come as no surprise as the Bichon Frise has often been compared to a white and fluffy stuffed animal. Okay, so they are cute and adorable. What else is so special about these dogs you might be asking? Well, for starters they are hypoallergenic and virtually nonshedding which makes them an ideal pet for individuals and families that suffer from allergies and asthma.

I can attest first hand to this as my wife has had severe asthma and allergies her entire life. Being dog lovers, we had tried for years raising different breeds of dogs with no success. Unfortunately, we weren't able to keep these pets very long as they triggered severe asthma attacks, resulting in several trips to the hospital. Then around 7 years ago, we heard about the Bichon Frise. In all truthfulness, we had never even heard of this breed before. But, after doing a little research, we decided to purchase one from a responsible, reputable breeder (please see future article on the absolute importance of this). Our decision became a blessing. We knew within a week that the Bichon Frise was the dog for us. My wife had no problems with her allergies or asthma flaring up like it did with other breeds.

So now, 7 years later, we live not only with our first Bichon, Buddy, but we have 2 others as well. The wife's health is still great and she hasn't experienced any trigger related incidents related to the dogs. We have become such big fans of the Bichon Frise, that we started our own website dedicated to them.

If you are considering a Bichon Frise as your next pet, we would highly recommend this breed for obvious reasons. Although they are hypoallergenic and nonshedding, they do require a lot of grooming. This is to your benefit and your Bichon. They must be brushed daily to remove debris, dead skin and prevent matting in their white, curly coats. Also, they must get haircuts every month or two depending on the style of cut. If you do suffer from allergies or asthma, these steps are even the more important for you to follow religiously.

vmills

SimAlvin
Pup is half Bichon Frise

Alvin is half Bichon, 1/4 Cocker Spaniel, and 1/4 Poodle.

He does not shed (no hairs in brush or comb) and his co-owner who is allergic to dog fur, does not react to his dog hair.

But there are drawbacks - one is the grooming thing which can get very expensive, and the other is skin allergies. This poor pup scratches al lot and when we bathe him (every 3 weeks), we just found out he scratches even more, even though the shampoo is supposedly okay for sensitive dog skin.

So, yeah, Bichons are great dogs, and have you ever seen a Bichon frenzy (Frise frenzy). They run around in figure 8's until they can't run anymore!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
While Bichons seem to do well for owners who have allergies, this breed is plagued by allergies themselves, typically referred to as "Fluffy White Dog Syndrome". They tend towards skin allergies with an alarming tendency, requiring special food, shampoo, grooming, medications, etc.

They are cute, loving dogs, but one does have to take into account the health issues of the dog as well as the owner.

Jeff1

Hello all, I wanted to ask for some advice. I am considering purchasing an air purifier but I have not found any information that shows they really work for allergies and asthma. I would love to hear from you on your own experiences, and any recommendations you can give to a newbie. I have been reading up on this topic and honestly I am extremely confused. Please help and maybe we can all learn together.

Jeff

Members online