If you feel immune from BSL - List of 75 banned or restricted breeds

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
WOW I just realized my Bouve is a banned breed somewhere. That is so scary! Augh I dont like that at all. Bouves are one of the sweetest breed of dogs ever!

And I agree SP that oneday all we will be able to have is goldfish!

KhayNette

what?! I never knew it had gotten that bad.I think it's ridiculous to ban any breed. If it was a privilege instead of a right to own a dog, (like driving) and it was enforced, there would not be as many problems :-(

thetwistedcow

The Twisted Cow
Pug?! what?! I am a Chow mom and I cannot tell you how many apartment complexes turned me down when they found out about him.

I cannot tell you how many people are afraid of him but he is such a love! I have friends with small dogs that bite without warning ALL THE TIME!

that list is ridiculous!

Luckily, my insurance company could care less about Chet...I pay they cover...THANK GOD!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
It makes me kind of sad when someone says "OMG! (insert breed here) are banned!?"
It should be "OMG! A specific dog breed is banned!?"

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Pug?! what?! I am a Chow mom and I cannot tell you how many apartment complexes turned me down when they found out about him.

I cannot tell you how many people are afraid of him but he is such a love! I have friends with small dogs that bite without warning ALL THE TIME!

that list is ridiculous!

Luckily, my insurance company could care less about Chet...I pay they cover...THANK GOD!
Yeah, Chow's are banned in military housing as well as Rotts, Dobes, wolf-hybrids, and pitbulls. Kind of crazy isn't it? Here, most rentals ban the GSD as well.

lyria

Wait a minute. I want to know the criteria on which this list is based (the website is not very informative on that and seems to lump all legislative mention of a breed into this category). Clearly not all breeds on it are subject to the same level of legislation. For example, we all know Pit Bulls get what is arguably more than their fair share of the restrictions, but Labradore Retrievers are clearly not subject to the same issues. The site says that such legislation "threatens the very existence" of dog ownership. That is absurd. I own a Lab, millions of Americans own these dog breeds, there is no threat to the very existence of dog ownership. This list needs to provide more information on the reasoning behind each breed's placement on it. Otherwise stuff like this can be just as inflammatory as the "vicious" or "marauding" adjectives used to describe some breeds.

pitbullfriends

Pitbull Friends
It’s unbelievable, why would any county ban a pug or a golden retriever. I mean I really disapprove of any breed specific legislation but I understand how public opinion is manipulated by the media to ban big strong breeds, but a pug couldn’t inflict more than a flesh wound if it wanted to.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'm sporting some wicked marks on my arm and another girl is bleeding from a number of spots after a Chihuahua tonight decided he didn't take too kindly to having his nails trimmed. Any dog can do a significant amount of damage.

Breed bans in general don't make sense, regardless of the size.

milos_mommy

The housing projects over here banned Boston Terriers as a dangerous breed of dog. I know a handful of people who have gotten upwards of 50 or even 100 stitches from smaller breeds like westies, dachshunds, pekinese, and heard of someone losing her leg after a lab attack (not sure if that's true). I also know multiple infants in this area alone have been killed by JRTs, one was killed by a pekinese, etc.

So yes, I do believe all of these bans, whether in townships, cities, or simply by building, are due to the dogs being "vicious" or "dangerous". And I also know that EVERY dog, regardless of breed, is potentially dangerous.

ETA: @ pitbullfriends: while I don't know any specific pug bite cases, a pug could definitely cause someone enough damage to require many stitches, break small bones, and could do much more damage to a small child. No, they aren't going to be able to do the damage to an adult person a pit bull terrier or any other large breed dog could, but they can do a LOT of damage.

navigirl

Perhaps they should post a list of 75 people banned from the US. Its all about owner responsibility and someone owning too much dog!

Miakoda

LostBoyScout, I love Alaskan Malamutes. Unfortunately, I haven't met more than a handful that wanted to meet me in return. Most were quite willing to have me check out their pearly whites for doing nothing but being in their presence.

With that said, to whomever wanted to know the criteria used because Labs just couldn't possibly be on that list (nevermind my 40+ stitches split between 2 separate Lab bites), NO breed is "deserving" to be on the ban list. I'm afraid you are not going to find anyone here belief that banning "pit bulls" is ok because they deserve it based on the criteria but obviously there is some screwup when it comes to all the othe breeds.

All this list tells me is that we have some very serious problems with ignorant, negligent, irresponsible (and some downright stupid) dog owners.

Shelteez

I am surprised not to see chis on that list, but of course people think it's cute when their precious little thing bites ;).

Members online