Hi From Joel Silverman from ANIMAL PLANET'S "GOOD DOG U"

Hi there...

OK, the answer is yes this is really me. I have picked out just a few websites to go to and reach out and help the pet owner. If you have seen my show on ANIMAL PLANET or purchased any of my videos, you will know that I make the effort to make training simple for the pet owner. I hope that I can help people on this site too in many different ways. I did just launch a totally free website which helps the pet owner with many issues too. It is www.companionsforlife.net. But I want to make the effort to use this site as my means of communicating with the pet owner. I look forward to chatting with many of you.

Joel Silverman

Lynn

Super Moderator
Hello Joel, welcome to Chazhound! :) Glad that you chose our site. I am sure that our members will have tons of questions for you. Chazhound has alot of passionate dog owners that are always looking for good advice to care for their four legged friends!

Good to be here

Thank you so much! It really is good to be here. I have so much happening and really wanted to share it with a website that I felt was simply out to generate some great interest and views from animal lovers of all kind.

I actually checked out a few other chat places, and decided to "park myself" here. As you will learn, my passion is all about helping reduce the amount of animals in animal shelters, rescue groups, and humane societies on a massive basis. In the next few days you will learn about my mission, and what I plan to personally do with the help of the voices of great animal lovers like yourselves. It is great to be here!

R

RedyreRottweilers

I will be very interested in your views on how to curb irresponsible breeding. Which is, of course, the reason for the numbers of dogs in animal shelters, rescue groups, and humane societies.

Responsible Breeding

There are two things I am focusing on.
1. Eduacating the average pet owner about responsible pet ownership, and primarily targeting kids. I really think people grow up not taking spaying or neutering seriously.
2. Working with animal shelters, rescue groups, and humane societies across the nation providing FREE seminars on the first 30 days with your new dog. On my website you will see some of the places I will be!
2. And this is very important. Based on the demographics in cities, there are certain breeds that are more prevalent in animal shelters than others. Take East Los Angeles, for example. Pitbulls make up over 50% of the dogs in there. I would put a total ban on the breeding and mandatory spaying and neutering of just those types of dog in that demographic area. But I would make it something that can be enforced. The law they passed in the city of Los Angeles is not enforced so it will not work. The backyard breeders are still going to continue doing what they are doing and work under the radar screen, and the law abiding breeders (who you don't need to monitor anyway) are the ones paying for permits and so on. The bottom line is that it must be enforced.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Based on the demographics in cities, there are certain breeds that are more prevalent in animal shelters than others. Take East Los Angeles, for example. Pitbulls make up over 50% of the dogs in there. I would put a total ban on the breeding and mandatory spaying and neutering of just those types of dog in that demographic area.
So in an area where labs are the predominant breed in the shelters would you suggest breed specific MSN for labs?

And welcome to Chaz :D

Labs

You know... That is a tough one! I am on the road a lot and see primarily the Pitbulls, or in the Midwest a lot of the smaller Shepherd mixes.

Is that a city you are in or a smaller town?

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
When I used to frequent the shelters, I did see primarily labs and lab mixes. But it's also a theoretical question.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Pull up a chair and make yourself comfortable! WElcome to CHazhound.

Lab Issue

If it was a town I would limit the breeders to two types:
An "A" breeder and a "B" breeder.
The "A" breeder is the one that breeds for shows and does not advertise in the paper. I would not worry about them.
The "B" breeders are the ones that advertise in the paper and the one you want to watch and they need to be regulated. You know who they are from the newspaper and I would make them totally responsible for the spaying and neutering of every dog they sell. I have a plan for something like this, and where the money would come from, but that is the idea.

Bunny82

Welcome to the group. :)

What about the breeder that avoids the show scene and breeds entirely for working ability? For many breeds the show scene has been a huge disservice.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Hi Joel, welcome to Chazhound.

I suggest, if you have the time, that you take a gander through our Breeding Ground section. I have a feeling that you're not entirely caught up to date with what makes a good breeder and what doesn't and why. I just want to make sure you have the best information possible, especially since you're dealing with the public on a wholesale level.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
What if you had a show breeder who advertised in the paper? What if you had a substandard breeder who didn't advertise in the paper? What if you had a field trial breeder?

Hi Zoom

I will definitely do that and check out the breeders area.. I am kind of busy right now with some of the message boards. I kind of opened Pandora's box...lol

Zoom

Twin 2.0
LOL that is definitely one way of describing this place! Your views will never be the same :rofl1:

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sorry about my post earlier if you saw it - I assumed this was spam. I have seen like a dozen "I am so and so" spam posts.. mostly on other forums, though.

I ditto searching the breeding ground. I'd narrow your search to threads that are longer (5+ pages) as they are usually the ones with stimulating discussion/debate.

Members online

No members online now.