Help, my dog runs away from me everytime I approach him

Bug

My Min Pin, Charlie, does this rather annoying thing where he runs from me almost everytime I try to pet him or pick him up or even just show some affection. It seems like the only time he ever will let me touch him, without running away, is when he is sleepy and wants me to hold him. Or I have to get down on the ground to about eye level and he will maybe let me. Other than that I seem to always find myself chasing after him, just to pet him. Now Im not sure exaclty why he does this because Im not abusive to him what so ever, I try to use positive re-enforcment rather that negative. The only time I can really think of is when he starts to bite to hard, then I just grab his mouth and tell him NO! I have never hit or struck him in any way.

Now at first when this happened I just thought that he might be playing, but now Im starting to think he just doesnt really like me anymore. This is because I will try to get him, but when he runs I wont chase him, then he just sits there and looks at me. But on the other hand, once I do get a hold of him, he doesnt fight to get away. And evrytime I do get a hold of him, I praise him and tell him good boy and all that stuff, but it doesnt seem to be working. Am I doing something wrong?

It doesn't sound like you're doing anything "wrong."

How old is Charlie? If he's in adolescence it may be that he's going through his teenage rebellion stage. He may also be using this as a way of exercising some control over you. He's making you beg; making you come after him. Don't let him. Ignore him when he does that. Let him see you put a treat back in the bag or put his toy away.

You also have to remember that dogs - like people - have different personalities. Some dogs don't want as much petting and cuddling attention, preferring to play as a way of interacting.

Instead of calling him to you for petting, try using a toy, getting his attention, and initiating play. Get him involved in a game; pulling on a sock or pull toy, chasing a ball, whatever his favorite game is.

You will want to work with him on coming to you when you call. Use one command to train him to answer to and work with him a few minutes every day. Actually, I'd encourage you to work with him on other training commands with him every day. He'll enjoy it and it will establish the need to obey you in his mind.

The technique Serena's talked about, Nothing In Life is Free (NILF) might be a good idea for you. For example, don't just put his food out for him, make him come to you and sit or perform some task before you set it down for him.

I also like sharing my last bite of food (making sure it's something appropriate) with my dogs as a bonding tool. It reinforces dominance and reaffirms their position as part of my pack.

emc

I had a problem with my dog running away from me when I approached her (this was happening when she was a pup), I know how frustrating it can be since nothing seemed to be working for me either. What I did was I would throw a magazine at her so that it would fall right in front of her as she was running away, while at the same time saying "no!" and making it sound like a really meant it. It worked, within a few days she stopped doing it. You might also want to try putting your dog on a long rope with you holding the other end. Soon as your dog starts to run away from you yank it back and be sure to always use the word "no" and make it sound like you mean business.

Puppy Poster Art
http://www.accessv.com/~email/tshirts/dg.htm

Chihuahuas On The Web
http://www.freewebs.com/chihuahua

I had the same problem with my golden retriever. I just kept a couple pieces of dog treats in my pocket and took it out to show him. He normally came to me and I would give him a treat.He would then just sit down next to me waiting for another treat. Instead I gave him a hug and said Good Boy.

Bug

I will try that, but the only thing about using a treat is I dont want himto oly come to me when he see treats

MEG126

that'll happen too, well it happened to my golden in a slightly different circumstance, but it's a hard habit to break. whenever my mom would take my dog for a walk, she would jump on us and start nipping (she had horrible walk manners) and so my mom would carry treats with her to bribe her to stop. penny figured it out and would misbehave because she knew it would get her a treat- so i think if you're going to use this tactic, then you should make sure you're praising the dog before you give them the treat... it can get canna tricky in training dogs because you might be actually teaching them something other than what you intended. good luck and keep us posted!

Now at first when this happened I just thought that he might be playing, but now Im starting to think he just doesnt really like me anymore. This is because I will try to get him, but when he runs I wont chase him, then he just sits there and looks at me. But on the other hand, once I do get a hold of him, he doesnt fight to get away. And evrytime I do get a hold of him, I praise him and tell him good boy and all that stuff, but it doesnt seem to be working. Am I doing something wrong?[/QUOTE]

You might be right, he could be playing, sorta like "tag"or a one-way version of catch me if you can also, if you ever do or have given him treats when you catch him he could be hopeing to get a (treat).

Thats just my idea and I'm probably way off... :rolleyes:
I hope you find out what it is and are able to fix it :)

I too have a Min Pin, he can be the most loveable lap dog,
when he chooses, but if he doesn't want to then he is running
around, and away from me. I think it's a fun game for him.
If I get a little stern in my voice he will run slower, and maybe
he'll lay down so I can get him, but it's not easy. Must be something
about being "The King of Toys" . ;)

Members online

No members online now.