Good dog food that is affordable

Hi everyone. Okay have a delema. I need a good brand of dog food that is affordable. I have three dogs and a tight budget. My older male has started to develop constipation issues and the vet belives it is his food. The food he suggested is way to expensive. So I am looking for other good brands

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
"Good food" is extremely relative, especially if your pet has a medical issue that requires a specific diet.

For example, my dogs are currently on a low(er) protien, low(er) phosphorus food to see if I can get their kidney values to normalize. The food that I was feeding them and still highly recommend is now a "bad food" for them.

My cats are currently in a grain free/novel ingredients, low carb, low phosphorus, low(er) magnesium food for a food trial and for urinary health for one of them. The food they were doing great on before is now a "bad food", and many other popular "good food" brands wouldn't have worked, either.

So my question would be, what diet does your vet want your dog on and why? (Ingredients? Fiber content? A specific vitamin or mineral concentration?) Then look for an over the counter food that fits that requirement and your budget.

"Good food" is extremely relative, especially if your pet has a medical issue that requires a specific diet.
No special requirements because of specific medical reason. Other then he is getting older. The vet thinks his current food has more fiber in it then his system can handle now. He is my first old dog. So still trying to get used to old dog problems. I thought the teeth issues were bad enough.

Last edited:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
If you have a Tractor Supply nearby, their 4Health brand is a pretty good food. I also wouldn't be opposed to feeding Purina One, especially their Instinct/Beyond formulas.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
It really depends on what you are thinking as far as cost to quality.

I've done well with Costco's Nature's Domain. I have also ordered large bags of pro plan on Amazon and been happy with that. The delivery rate with a prime account is more than awesome.

I guess I figure about $35 a bag is around where I want to be.

kady05

Victor is one I always recommend, especially if people are on a budget. It's a great food despite being around $1/lb most places. You can check their website to see if someone sells it near you, or Chewy.com just started carrying it as well.

Only good food doesn't make your dog healthy. you have to give them additional dog supplements. like- glucosamine, omega rich fish oil.

Maxy24

I don't know exactly what your budget is but Natural Balance Synergy (it's one of the only NB foods I like) is fairly inexpensive, though probably more than some of the foods mentioned here already, but it can be found at PetSmart and Petco.

What food are you currently feeding?

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
My suggestion is to do some research. Here is a great link to Dog Food Analysis:

http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/

They rate dog foods based on ingredients and such. The higher the star rating the better the food. Read through their ingredients, see if there is some lower in fiber that you want and call around for prices. Each store can have different pricing.

As for how much to feed I never suggest going by the bag. I always suggest people watch their puppy or dog to gage how much to feed. A health puppy or dog you can see the last two ribs on. If you can see only one or none then decrease the amount of food until you see two and then stabilize the amount to keep them at that. If you see more then two then increase the amount of food till you see only two and then stabilize the amount. Each puppy can be different on how much they need. The different seasons can cause the need to increase of decrease, different activity levels can as well. Keeping a puppy at a healthy weight during growth helps them grow properly without putting stress on the joints that can cause issues later on. Keeping them at a healthy weight as an adult can prolong their life and keep them moving easier as seniors. Hope that helps.

You can even go for a dog food supplier like Brooklyn dog food delivery, NYC grass-fed dog food and more. They offer excellent food for dogs and include all the supplements and nutrients in the food that is required for their proper growth.

Members online

No members online now.