Going Saturday to look at puppies...

Mac'sMom

any suggestions on what we should look for and ask? We found this breeder on breeders.net. She has a litter of 5month old papillons. Our Mackie is on the large size (13 lbs at 7 1/2 months) and we want another pap around 8 to 10 lbs. I emailed her yesterday and only asked about size, gender and for some pictures. I received her email this morning. The tri colored ( which is what we are interested in) are all male. Very cute! $550.00.

We are going to her house to see the puppies on Saturday. This is our first visit to a breeders. What are the important things I need to ask and look for. I asked her if we could bring Mac with us and she was fine with that. Your help would be greatly appreciated. We want to do this right. She sounded very nice when I spoke to her on the phone, but I know that doesn't mean anything.
Deb (Mac'sMom)

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Hey Deb!

Does the breeder have a website you can post? I am curious why she has a litter of 5 month olds??????

bubbatd

Wish you had the book " How To Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " - Rutherford and Neil .....tells you what to look for and how to pick the right one for you .

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Sorry, I messed up. They are 5 weeks old. She does not have a web site.
Ah, that makes more sense!

I copied this from a website that has some good info about questions to ask the breeder and red flags to look for. You will want to do some research on your breed (unless you already know) and find out about potential breed defects and make sure that the breeder has tested for them. I'm sure othere will chime in with advice! I bet's Mac's going to be so excited to have a fur brother or sister!

What are the congenital defects in this breed? The breeder who says "none" or "I don't know" is to be avoided. That's a person who's not screening for what she doesn't know about, and you don't want to pay the price for her ignorance.

A good breeder tells you every remotely possible problem in the breed, from droopy eyelids to deafness to epilepsy.

-- What steps have you taken to decrease defects in your dogs? You want to hear words like "screened" and "tested" and "certified."

In breeds with the potential for hip dysplasia - that's almost every large breed -- look for PennHIP or Orthopedic Foundation for Animals certification. These are expert, unbiased evaluators who know exactly what to look for. Insist on documentation on both parents. And their parents, too.

-- Do you have the parents on site? May I see them? This is a bit of a trick question. You should always be able to see the mother -- unless she died giving birth -- but reputable breeders often don't have the father on hand. That's because the best match for any particular dog may be owned by another breeder, and the female was sent away for breeding.

As for the mother, she may be a little anxious with strangers around her puppies, but on her own you want to see a well-socialized, calm and well-mannered dog. So, too, should be the rest of the breeder's dogs. If you don't like the temperaments of a breeder's grown dogs, what makes you think you'll get a good temperament in one of the puppies?

-- What are the good and bad points of the parents, and what titles do they have? You may be looking for a pet-quality purebred, but you still want to buy from someone who knows what top-quality examples of the breed are -- and uses such animals in a breeding program. You want to see show and working titles all over that pedigree.

It doesn't matter if you go home and throw that fine pedigree in a drawer. Recent titles on both sides of a pedigree are the sign of a breeder who's making a good-faith effort to produce healthy dogs who conform to the breed standard.

-- Where were these puppies raised? How have you socialized them? "In the house" is the best answer to the first question. You want a puppy who knows what the dishwasher sounds like, whom you don't have to peel off the ceiling when a pan drops, who has set a paw on linoleum, carpet and tile.

Environmental socialization is important, but so, too, is the intentional kind. The best breeders make sure puppies have been handled by adults of both genders and by children.

-- What guarantees do you provide? You want to see a contract explaining the breeder's responsibilities should the puppy develop a congenital ailment. In most cases, such contracts state either replacement with a new puppy or refunding of your purchase price.

The contract also states your responsibilities, such as neutering your pet. You may also be required to return the dog to the breeder if you can no longer keep him. Such language is the sign of a concerned and responsible breeder.

Read and discuss the paperwork with the breeder. The best breeders offer contracts that protect not only the buyer and seller, but also the most vulnerable part of the transaction: the puppy.

Mac'sMom

Thanks Kim. We're excited about seeing these puppies but are totally able to walk away if not a good breeder. She is in Converse, IN so only about 45 min. from us. I do know the mother is on site and the pictures she sent had the puppies with her son (and she also has a daughter) and they were taken in the house.

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I'm excited for you. Getting a new puppy is the BEST so I hope this is a good breeder and it works out! Let me know how it goes!

Mac'sMom

I will let you know how it goes. ;)

Here is a link for the web site to the other breeder I emailed.

http://www.papillonpups4you.zoomshare.com/

This one has a litter due in July so won't be ready to leave until Sept. which would be fine. The photo of the mom (Emmy) actually looks alot like Mac. I haven't heard anything back from her yet. I asked about the size of the mom and dad. I think she also had a picture of the dad if I remember right.

Herschel

Have you tried sending a private message to "Laurelin"? She has a lot of experience with Papillons and might be able to help point you in the right direction.

I like Kim's list. I'm not sure if a reputable breeder would post a listing on "Breeders.net", so make sure you go in ready to walk away from some adorable puppies. Ask as many questions as you can!

If she sounds like a nice woman, that doesn't mean she is ethical.

If the puppies look healthy and happy, that doesn't mean they always will be.

If the house is clean, that doesn't tell you anything about the health of the dogs.

Etc. etc. etc.

bubbatd

You should be able to get a feeling on how the breeder is interacting with the pups ...at this age they should be loving her to death and she should know each one very well .. each pup should run to you when you're down on their level and call " puppy,puppy. puppy " clapping hands or patting the floor . They shouldn't show any fear . You'll be able to tell if she's socializing . Wouln't hurt to ask if she has " THE BOOK " !!

Rosefern

And, if this breeder doesn't work out, here's a few more that you could try...

CRYSTAL CREEK
Juanita Hull-Pollock
7105 Goldsberry RD
Battle Ground, IN 47920
765-589-8764
[email protected]

DEWDROP
Jackie Krieger
7840 Hartford Ridge
Aurora IN 47001
812-438-2095
[email protected]

WELCH
Jeff & Susan Welch
Indiana
[email protected]

Anybody have any experience with these breeders?

-Rosefern

Mac'sMom

Thanks Herschel. I talked with Laurelin when I first joined the forum, but not since. I would welcome any help she's willing to give me. My husband and I have talked about walking away Saturday even if we think she is a good breeder. It doesn't sound like any of the puppies are spoken for at this point. We don't want to rush into this. And if we decide we want one and they're gone...we'll find another one.

Do you think it would be better to have a male and a female over 2 males? We wanted a male when we got Mackie but now we really don't care, but we would like a tri color.

bubbatd

I knew it probably was here in IN .... I just thought I might know someone in the city or town and could pick their brain . No , know no one there , but been there to auctions .

Maxy24

Does she show the dogs she breeds? I hope you've found the right one but be prepared to say no to adorable puppies ;) It will be well worth it in the end. I'm very glad you are trying to go about this the right way!

Members online

No members online now.