Foot Stalls for the Small Dog

Hello!

As I stated in my intro post, I am using my dog Chloe as a practice dog for my future disc dog. So I have been working with her to teach her some of the tricks I see frequently in disc.

So far she is good at rebounds, we are getting better at "backing up" but it is inbetween a scoot and walking backwards, and she has the leg weaves pretty good- just not with the speed or frequency of cues that I would like.

Currently we have been switching up tricks and I have been working on the foot stall with her.

I have been working her on a FitPaws disc to increase core muscles and her balance as well as some rear end awareness work.. she is getting better.

We also have been working on things to lead up to a foot stall, having her hop onto my shins while they are held horizontal above the ground, and having her hop onto my winter boots (larger surface) as well as just basic pedestal work to get her used to standing on smaller objects.

Where we are now:
She is stuck on wanting to be on my shins so even though I have her on the couch with my boots on horizontal to the ground, she wants to crawl over my boots to get on my shins. :rolleyes: She looks at me all excited like she completed the task.

Today was actually our best day so far, I got it where she would (sometimes) keep her back feet on my boots and only her front feet on my shins.

Is this good progress? Any suggestions to get her to keep her front feet on my boots too? (She pretty much instantly wraps her feet around the tip of my boot before climbing/getting her back feet on)

Thanks!

Well we are making some progress toward our foot stall. She still tries to climb over to my shins but if she doesn't before she gets her back feet up I reward heavily and praise her.

We are also working on getting her to jump up onto my boots (when i am not wearing them) when they are between my legs or knees to keep them stable. Trying to get her to jump up, because right now she has a pathetic little crawl going on that she does.. and I think it would be easier if she would just jump!

When I do not have my boots on, she jumps up with much more confidence! But as soon as we try with my feet in the boots she goes back to crawling up..

Anyway.. here are photos of some of our most successful tries.

So proud of Chloe! It was suggested that I move to a smaller platform (instead of using the couch) which would make it where she had to jump up. And I tried that today and she did wonderfully! If i knew how to embed videos I would share the video I took on my phone!

But she is getting it!!! and seems to really enjoy it because as soon as I told her off, she hopped down and would hop right on the platform waiting to do it again.. and sometimes hopping up before I told her to. Next step will be trying to get her to jump up from the floor!

Of course we have a bunch of things we can continue to practice on with this trick, such as going to smaller shoes, or having her do various tricks while up there! However, I may take a break soonish as I don't like training the same trick too much.

Members online

No members online now.