Easy set-up pools for dogs

JacksonsMom

Has anyone ever gotten a pool similar to this?:

and used it for dogs?

Obviously, I have a small dog, so I think it would work fine for a little basic swimming. I've been wanting to buy one because even though my dad has a nice big inground pool, there's really not much for us to do at our regular house on really hot days. I typically only spend 2-3 nights at my dads house but sometimes less. So him being able to get in the water, which he loves, and at least do a few little laps would be nice.

I'm trying to think of some kind of ramp type thing I could have though so he could jump in himself, without me lifting him up every time?

Wondering how well these hold up in general.

Saw this on amazon for $77. Seems like a bargain! http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Easy-12...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372567002&sr=8-1&keywords=pool

Last edited:

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
How much does that one cost? This is ot, but have you noticed that it's IMPOSSIBLE to find those hard plastic kiddie pools? I asked a Wal*Mart employee, and he said they don't sell them because they could break and cut children. Wth! Is everything too dangerous for kids these days?

JacksonsMom

How much does that one cost? This is ot, but have you noticed that it's IMPOSSIBLE to find those hard plastic kiddie pools? I asked a Wal*Mart employee, and he said they don't sell them because they could break and cut children. Wth! Is everything too dangerous for kids these days?
I just added a link - http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Easy-12...1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372567002&sr=8-1&keywords=pool $77 on amazon. About 2.5 ft deep.

And yes! It's SO hard to find them now. My mom lucked out and found one the other day. I forget where she told me she got it.

Grab

Our Walmart carries the plastic ones. They are out w the garden things.

kaykay21

herder brain & drool face
If you have an ACE hardware store near you they sell the plastic kiddie pools there in 2 diff sizes

Grab

The kiddie pool cracked over the winter. So this year we found the small kiddie pool at Dollar General for $8.

I'd looked at the inflatable pools. I'd totally have one if I didn't worry that the goatshead pokey things that I cannot get rid of would poke through the bottom. Because I think a Nog swimming in one would be extra adorable

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
The kiddie pool cracked over the winter. So this year we found the small kiddie pool at Dollar General for $8.

I'd looked at the inflatable pools. I'd totally have one if I didn't worry that the goatshead pokey things that I cannot get rid of would poke through the bottom. Because I think a Nog swimming in one would be extra adorable
Couldn't you put the pool on top of a sheet of something impenetrable?

Katkoota

cRaZy AbOuT DOGS
I got the malts the perfect portable pool last month. I will share some photos later. It was around $100 and is big enough for them to dive :)

Katkoota

cRaZy AbOuT DOGS
I'm trying to think of some kind of ramp type thing I could have though so he could jump in himself, without me lifting him up every time?
This is the issue I am having currently. I set the malts a set of stones to be used as stairs. It is not the best but is serving them "ok". I need to look further for something more suitable.

GipsyQueen

Way smaller than the one you're looking into - but we just use those plastic sand box shells to fill water into. We got 2 at Walmart for 10€ ;)

Aleron

This is the 12 x 36" version. It is pretty easy to set up, if the ground is level. If it isn't, you're going to have to do some digging. Also if you're putting of over grass, grass can grow through the bottom. We had to level our yard for it, so it was on dirt, covered with tarps and we didn't have any issues. You will also need a cover, a skimmer, an extra filter cartridge (they need cleaned at least once a week - we just would swap them out, so take the old one out and hose it off, let it dry and put the clean one in), something to test the water (should be done daily), chlorine and chlorine floater, shock, PH Upper/Downer, something for algae and of course, a ladder or some way to get in and out (or for the dog to get in and out). So...while these pools themselves are cheap to buy there's a lot of needed stuff that isn't included. And the cost of maintence. Also you will need a way to plug the filter in and it needs to run for I think at least 6 hours a day. Even if you're getting it just for your dog to swim in and neve rplan to use it yourself, you will need to make sure you are maintaining the proper chlorine, PH and other levels or you'll end up with an icky, bacteria laden and possibly green pool :eek:

We bought our plastic kiddie pool at the Dollar General. Walmart here carries larger plastic pools.

I did have a pool like that one for the dogs though. It lasted a season. They track so much dirt into it that my pump went kaput after maybe two months. They really didn't get in it unless I was out there helping them, I got it for swim conditioning. They never popped the ring, but could jump in and out pretty easily.

Also, don't forget you have to chlorinate it to keep it from turning pretty colors. I felt like I was never doing it right, but my water never turned green. I would be VERY hesitant to buy one again. I just didn't think it was that worth it.

However, when we buy a house an in ground pool would be a big plus for us.

Snark

Mutts to you
I just replaced my old plastic kiddie pool (after 4 years), it started leaking. Our local Walmart, Ace Hardware and a couple of farm supply stores all carry the hard plastic pools so it wasn't a problem finding one.

I'd love to get some kind of larger pool for Riley but it'd have to be fairly deep since he's 24" tall. I also don't have any level ground around the house, which means the set up wouldn't be that easy... sigh... Maybe I'll just start digging out a pond...

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've got one for Payton. I haven't set mine up this year and am not sure where to put it. I don't really want to kill my grass, but I don't have a large deck at my house like my parents have. I could put it under my carport, which would protect it from a majority of falling leaves and such, but it wouldn't really get sunlight there... I was trying to decide earlier if I should just sell it...

We also have those plastic kiddie pools and while the dogs love to jump in them to splash around, they definitely aren't big enough for swimming, so serve a totally different purpose.

ETA: this is the one I have. It was $45 at Wal-Mart last year when I bought it IIRC.
http://www.amazon.com/10-Intex-Easy...TF8&qid=1372650594&sr=1-5&keywords=intex+pool
It says it doesn't come with a pump on there but mine did. Also I set it up on a plastic tarp to protect the bottom.

Aleron

This is a 12' x 36"

These pools are really easy to set up, as the name implies. Unless your yard isn't level, leveling a spot in your yard is definitely not easy LOL So our pool required a couple days of digging and a couple more days of pulling out roots and rocks. But once the ground was ready, the pool went up fast and filled in a few hours.

Now these pools, they're pretty inexpensive to buy and more durable then you'd think. But they don't exactly come with everything you need LOL You'll need to buy a cover, a ladder or build a ramp or deck or something, a skimmer, extra filter cartridges (we just had two though, pull one out and hose it off, leave it out to dry and put the other in...they need changed at least weekly), chlorine, chlorine floater shock, algaecide, water testing kit (should be done daily really), PH upper/downer. You can try to forego chemicals but it's really not a good idea, even if just you're solely using it for your dog. Pools can become bacteria laden and they can make dogs sick, cause ear/skin infections, etc. So at the very least you'll need chlorine and if you live in a very hot place, lots of it. You wait can get the PH and algae stuff if you have an issue. The filter needs to run about 6 hours a day IIRC.

Members online

No members online now.