Dogs & Chocolate & How Much is Deadly

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
I lost my schnauzer to this after he ate an entire huge chocolate easter egg. Devastating. I knew he ate the egg and he got sick from it, but at the time they knew little about chocolate and dogs as far as I know. I just know in retrospect, knowing what I know now, this was what killed him.

little liz

little liz
Oh how awful to loose a dog like that! I am so sorry. What puzzles me is...what is the difference between real chocolate and the chocolate that is sold just for dogs??? I bought Minnie some dogie chocolate drops once, but she didn't like them so I gave them away to a friend. Does the dogie chocolate have the dangerous stuff taken out some how?

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The 'chocolate" for dogs is actually carob, which contains none of the harmful chemicals found in real cocoa-based chocolate.

nica

Happy dogs expert
My dog mitzi stolen some chocolates I left on my table and ate it all when she was a mischevious puppy. she even know how to peel off the wrappers carefully so she dun eat the yacky wrappers! I freaked out when i came home as I know chocolates are toxic to them. Rushed her off to the hospital and got her checked.

The vet says nothing much we can do but to observe as she has taken the chocolates for couple of hours now and they cant "wash" her stomach anymore, too late, all digested. I didnt have a good sleep, I could only watch if she reacts to it.

They did a blood test and checked her liver, there were some damage but not too bad as she didnt die from it. Probably she is of medium sized dog, and also, it is milk chocolate, so the cocoa content is not too high.

I'm blessed...dun let this happen to your dogs. Keep all forbidden foods out of reach from your dogs/puppies....they get bored and do all sorts of things when u are gone.

Here's quick reference list of forbidden food for your dog.

amymarley

Being in the animal community, I have heard many stories.... I believe chocolate is bad for dogs in general. That is my opinion...
I have, however, heard many more stories of dogs dying because of chocolate than not.
I will share that I had a few people, a few "old timers" that didn't know any better, and gave their dogs some mm's every day...and the dogs lived to be 12 to 16 years of age. I think that is not the norm. Granted, it was not dark chocolate, or maybe they developed a tolerance, or maybe it did take a few years off of their life. I don't know.

I won't take the chance. I have found that chocolate, onions, raisions, grapes,tomato leaves, green skin on potatoes, certain nuts and so on "can" be toxic.

Regardless, I am not going to chance it.

nica

Happy dogs expert
yap. depends on size and resilience of the dogs actually. each and every dog is unique.....smaller dogs surely react more quickly then bigger dogs when given toxic foods.... it's the eye of the potatoes tat is toxic to dogs. tat's why we are advice to remove skin. more accurate is to "dig out" the eye....

anyway, just be extra careful when giving treats/food...i have seen a youtube video on homecooked meals for dogs recommending tomatoes, i almost flipped!! imagine all the dog owners who are going to watch it and think it's OK to feed tomatoes! anyway, i place a comment not to feed tomatoes....hope it helps....

Sevie

It bugs me when people almost die cause their 150 mastiff ate a chocolate chip lol. I think one of my dog gets a lot of chocolate we never give our dogs chocolate but if we put chocolate on the ceiling anna could still get it she opens doors and cupboards it is a pain...... Now we never get those big bags of m&ms lol.

Abbysdad

While at my brother's house recently, his Dachshund got into the Easter basket and we don't know how much chocolate she ate. All of the wrappers were in a neat pile. My Bro's wife called her Vet and he told her to have the dog injest Hydrogen Peroxide, I think an ounce, and we took the dog outside (highly recommended) and talk about explosive vomitting. After about 20 minutes everyone and everything was back to normal.

Shadow945

I actually posted a blog about this not too long ago on www.petknows.com. According to a veterinarian, the ratio is about 1oz per 10lbs of dog weight for dark chocolate, and 10oz per 10lbs of dog weight for white chocolate to poison the dog.

Roger G

This was some really good information. Too bad it's not as widely known as it should be and more vets should post some info in their offices, or otherwise make their patients aware of this. Can only imagine how many people toss their pets a piece of chocolate as a treat, figuring the smile on their pets face means it's okay.

{edited by mod- removed link}

Last edited by a moderator:

bubbatd

Same with raisons !!! Before the warnings many dogs enjoyed them tossed from toddler's trays .

One time in our house we gave our dog almost a bar of chocolate and he ate it all. After eating it all we noticed that he looks tipsy and after a day he lost his appetite, then the next day he died.

Amanda885

great article!
I try to never give my dog any chocolate or too much human food so he doesn't beg or get sick. I would just use caution if you are going to. Anything in excess is not good for anyone. I've never intentionally given my dog chocolate, but he's scooped some off the floor before if ive dropped it, but thats about it. He's never gotten sick.

jeffs

C

CindyMWyman

Chocolate addictive

My dogs fav food is chocolate. And so far i don't see any signs of disease. I dont know if i have to stop buying him a chocolate because its our hobby to eat a chocolate with each other..:(

Barb04

Super Moderator
Cindy, why do you want to see signs that your dog is getting ill from chocolate to stop feeding it. Stop giving your dog chocolate now to avoid a future illness.

John Carlo

My dog (beagle) ate chocolate but she's ok

My dog Suzie (a beagle) ate a whole chocolate Hershey bar, but she is ok. The vet said that because it was milk chocolate that the chemical theobromine, which dogs cannot digest isn’t as much. Whew, a big scare, but we learned our lesson for leaving chocolate around the house.

Members online

No members online now.