Dog Whisperer

B

Bobsk8

I just had Direct TV installed last week. Prior to that I had cable that did not carry National Geographic Channel so I wasn't able to watch Cesar's show. I had read quite a few comments these past few months , about how "rough" he was supposed to be with the dog's on the show, and everytime I would mention this to friends and family, and people I meet at the 2 dog parks I frequent, that own dogs and watch his show, they would look at me like I was crazy....

I programmed the DVR I got with Direct TV and recorded about 8 shows and watched each one. I was expecting to see all this harsh treatment of the animals, and after watching all 8 shows so far, I don't understand why I read all these negative comments about his show. I have seen him take dogs that were just totally out of control, and dogs that many people would have just given up on and brought to the pound, and turn the dog's behavior around in just one or two sessions. I haven't seen one instance in any of the epsiodes, of harsh or cruel treatment of any of the dogs. I have even used some of his methods at the Rescue with dogs that I have been walking, and voila, they seem to work. Anyway, that is my impression of what I have seen so far, and is not quite what I expected.....:confused: :confused:

Jynx

welcome to DTV (just got it here, I'm not real thrilled with the service!LOL)

I too have watched alot of dog whisperer shows, and have seen alot of things I probably wouldn't do, and things that I may try if needed.

I'm sure with this being TV, we aren't really seeing the "whole" picture..my feeling is, the dogs he seems to take on, are dogs that he is a last resort for.
(maybe they want to be on tv/their 15 seconds of fame I don't know)
But my feeling is, hey if he can turn these "last resort" dogs around, it's better than being shipped off to the pound.

Diane

I just had Direct TV installed last week. Prior to that I had cable that did not carry National Geographic Channel so I wasn't able to watch Cesar's show. I had read quite a few comments these past few months , about how "rough" he was supposed to be with the dog's on the show, and everytime I would mention this to friends and family, and people I meet at the 2 dog parks I frequent, that own dogs and watch his show, they would look at me like I was crazy....

I programmed the DVR I got with Direct TV and recorded about 8 shows and watched each one. I was expecting to see all this harsh treatment of the animals, and after watching all 8 shows so far, I don't understand why I read all these negative comments about his show. I have seen him take dogs that were just totally out of control, and dogs that many people would have just given up on and brought to the pound, and turn the dog's behavior around in just one or two sessions. I haven't seen one instance in any of the epsiodes, of harsh or cruel treatment of any of the dogs. I have even used some of his methods at the Rescue with dogs that I have been walking, and voila, they seem to work. Anyway, that is my impression of what I have seen so far, and is not quite what I expected.....:confused: :confused:

And round and round we go.....:rolleyes:

I too take dogs who are deemed "totally out of control" and turn them around without flooding, choking, poking or running them ragged.

I'm not sure what methods you're using from Cesars show but I am sorry to hear that he has rubbed off on yet another person, particularly one who works with dogs in need.:(

Like has been said time and time again, Cesar hasn't a clue that there are better methods out there because he never bothered to educate himself. And yes, his "techniques" do appear to work to the average person with no experience in canine behavior but to the rest of us, much of what he does is totally inappropriate, risky and unnecessary and in the long run is proven to cause more harm than good.

RD

Are you dead yet?
This coming from the man who thinks crating is cruel...

Doberluv

Bob, you're right in that he isn't wildly abusive, hanging dogs till they pass out, loud, violent or kicking, hitting, throwing them down in a angry, out of control, outbursts of emotional explosion.Thank goodness for that. But it doesn't have to be that severe to be mistreatment or improper treatment of an animal. It appears that he has "cured" these dogs and maybe in some cases, he has. However, like Dr2little said, that is to the average pet owner's eyes.

When behavior is stopped and it most certainly can be stopped with positive punishment, that only means that the behavior has stopped. What about all the rest of it? Behavior is only a sign of something internal. It's only what comes as a bi-product of something else going on. He does NOT deal with what is going on. He squelches or supresses signs (behavior) of the much larger than life cause of behavior. He stops it suddenly by using alpha rolls, flooding (subjecting a terrified animal to the fear trigger) up close, suddenly and over-whelmingly. The dog has no choice but to disassociate or give up...shut down. This is NOT dealing with the fear as science shows us that with dogs, desensatizing gradually gets to the core of the problem better and with far less stress and wear and tear on the dog. And besides a whole host of side effects of averse punishment, regression is one big side effect. They don't tell you on the show how many dogs have reverted to their previous behavior. The owners can't follow up with ambiguous instructions which use words like, energy, attitude, leadership, calm submissive, calm assertive, and all the rest of them. Nothing he says is specific at all. He is very charismatic and charming and he must make a certain number of people happy or his business wouldn't continue. But that is not good enough for dogs. Dogs are at the mercy of their owners. And believe me, there are more naive dog owners than not and they don't know any better at what they're seeing.

That example above is only about fear. He uses colar yanks to punish a dog for not walking just right when the dog HAS NOT BEEN TAUGHT how to walk right. I've seen him yank and yank pretty darn hard when a dog WAS walking fine, but he turned his head an inch to one side. This is unacceptable to me, especially when there ARE other ways to keep a dog's attention.

He rarely rewards a dog, very rarely. The closest thing to reward he has is the absense of an aversive. That's it.

I've seen him drag by force dogs who are terrified of slippery floors, into water among other things. He relies on force and shutting down a dog. He has truly taken dog training back decades when science has made so much progress. My only hope is that people educate themselves by people who ARE educated and not by some charming TV guy who has zero education in animal behavior.

He misreads a lot of body language and a lot of motives behind what dogs do. It's either dominate or be dominated. That's it. There is a universe more to it than that.

When I see some of the dogs he's worked with or he plunges into the midst of his so called 50 dog pack (that is not a pack, btw) they often look miserable. He says, "see? He is accepting." Or some b.s. When people who have been submerged with dogs all their lives, worked with and obsevered obsessively, like me.....I tell you there are very subtle facal expressions and body language which a lot of people don't notice....tiny nuances sometimes. And what I see is NOT what he claims is on these dogs faces. A wagging tail, for instance does not necessarily mean a dog is happy. In fact, it can mean very different things. A whole body wag is another thing. How many dogs he works with do you see a full body swing? The corners of the eyes and mouth, the set of the ears and all kinds of little things tell me a whole different story. (In most of the dogs) OK? Occassionally I have seen some things he's done which were fine. But why would someone follow someone's ways when only some things are OK when there are oodles of trainers out there who do not do these things, who DO rehabilitate dogs with problems every bit as atrocious as those dogs. Some of those problem dogs, I think are really quite mild. It's like......big freakin deal.

So, perhaps when you've watched more and read what real canine experts think, you'll see the other side of the coin better.

But I do know what you mean as far as he not being as bad as Koehler. But what does that really say? LOL.

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
A lot of what Cesar Milan does make sense, but there are a few things to be aware of:

1) The "alpha roll" is very dangerous and completely unnecessary. I shudder every time I see him do it. In my opinion, it's very irresponsible of him and his producers to demonstrate it on show (and often at that).

2) In my opinion, Cesar Milan is more or less the "Dr Phil" of dog psychology. He's a charismatic guy who has a way of "dumbing down" things so that anyone can understand.

3) The term "dominance" has mostly fallen out of favor with animal behaviorists, mostly because all too often people attempt to achieve "dominance" using aggression, even sometimes at the advice of an ill-informed trainer. Unfortunately, with some dogs (especially working dogs) this may actually get your dog to do what you want, but it certainly doesn't make the dog trust you.

It's true that Cesar Milan boils down nearly all dog behavioral problems to "dominance", but I don't believe that he generally uses aggression, other than the "alpha roll" which I mentioned above. Some people have a problem with the way he uses his hand to mimic a bite to the neck, but I personally don't think he does this in a way that damages the dog (physically or mentally).

Anyway, in my opinion, just because dog owners have been trying to obtain "dominance" in a completely incorrect way does *not* mean that pack theory is not important and plays no role in your relationship with your dog and your dog's relationship with other dogs. Regardless of what you believe the evolution of domestic dogs to be, it is clear that domestic dogs still consider dominance and social status to be very important, and therefore (again, in my opinion) you cannot completely dismiss Cesar Milan simply because he employs pack theory.

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
That example is only about fear. He uses colar yanks to punish a dog for not walking just right when the dog HAS NOT BEEN TAUGHT how to walk right. I've seen him yank and yank pretty darn hard when a dog WAS walking fine, but he turned his head an inch to one side. This is unacceptable to me, especially when there ARE other ways to keep a dog's attention.

I've seen him drag by force dogs who are terrified of slippery floors, into water among other things. He relies on force and shutting down a dog.

I'll admit that I haven't seen these actions that Doberluv is describing, although I have seen many episodes of the show. However, what Doberluv is describing certainly does sound abusive.

sam

The thing is he mostly relies on collar corrections with a choke chain, he certainly does resort to alpha rolling and electronic collars at times as well.

Collar corrections certainly can suppress behavior in a dog especially when they are well timed and when the dog hasn't experienced that before. If it didn't "work" to some degree it wouldn't be such a well known method that has lasted this long as is still widely used.

It's sort of the "holy ****" effect (pardon my language) but you know, if someone comes in with a very big presence, charisma and really takes over a situation, uses some very slick, well timed punishments on YOU, you'd be quiet and polite for a while too. All the while thinking "holy ****! who is this guy?"
The unfortunate thing with methods based on punishment is that it doesn't instill a new behavior in a dog. It can suppress an unwanted behavior but it doesn't tell the dog what TO do. So if the motivation to do whatever it is we deemed to be "bad" is at all strong, he'll do it again and typically the punishment has to get bigger and more severe to suppress the behavior. The dog gradulayy becomes more resistant to punishments and sort of learns to work through it, he has no clue why he's getting it often times. This phenomena is known as a *punishment callous* and it's VERY hard to avoid.

I saw this wuith my own first dog who literally yelped out a big scream the first time I ghave him a sharp collar correction but a month later I could yank and yank and he had basically just learnbed to tough it out and endure it to get what he wanted which was to get to a new dog. His desire to get to that dog was higher than the effects I could dle out with that choke chain. Why else are there so many bad pullers out there?

Certainly by my way of thinking punishment based methods are FAR more humane when practiced by someone like Cesar with great chops as they say, perfect timing and the ability to control a situation, but the average pet dog owner can't come close to that and punishments get repeated over and over again, the dog doesn't learn anything (punishment doesn't really TEACH anything to an animal ) and it ends up basically fitting the criteria of mild to severe abuse-- depending on the person and often how frustrated they are.

The tragedy for me is that there are FAR FAR FAR better ways (as tested and proven in behavior lab on multiple species and in pet and trial dogs all over) to teach a dog manners and obedience and all the behaviors we typically need to instill in a dog for competition so it's sad to me that there are people still using and teaching those methods. Those methods also put so much blame on dogs for being "dominant" when they are nothing of the sort-- they are poorly trained, rambunctious, have been given mixed messages etc I have yet to see a really "bad" or "stubborn" dog come through the door of our dog school but I have seen a ton of woners who love their dog and want to do well by them but are doing everyting wrong and completly craeting the situation and doing nothing to really teach the dog.

Why on earth would I want to use pain or discomfort and startle and aversion to alter my dogs behavior when there are faster (well proven over and over again,to be faster and achieve more fluency), FUN ways that will add to our bond not take away from it ?

Look at the killer whales and dolphins at Sea World performing intricate tricks and being taught long behavior chains all without anyone touching them, poking them, hurting them, projecting any intimidating energy at them or otherwise doing something the dolphin is working to avoid. All that can be easily achieved with dogs and best of all IT'S FUN for both dog and handler.Dogs are one of the most maleable, trainable species on earth. It's just plain unnecessary to have them work to avoid discomfort or pain in order to train them.

I don't think that Cesar is the devil incarnate at all. I believ he loves dogs and is well intentioned. I LOVE that he is getting the message out to quit humanizing dogs and start giving them exercise and mental stimulationbut it's too bad he isn't up on things enough to be teaching better methods. His methods in the hands of some people will and have ended with abused and dead dogs and that's just so unnecessary.It's too bad he has become the new face of dog training because he is just plain old out of date and is basically like a scientist still saying the world is flat.

think of it this way-

Would you rather be LESS clear on what your job is and how to be successful at it, work to avoid pain / punishment /something unpleasant or would you rather work for someome who gives very clear instructions, sets you up to be successful and rewards you for a job well done ? What is the difference in how you feel about doing something you are FORCED to do vs something you are motivated to do? That is the choise we make when we choose training methods. For me, the choice is easy and I only wish I had found out about the new methods sooner. It really bothers me that the information isn't out there for dog owners. It pisses me off that when I go to a book store 95% of the books are on outdated methods. I really do feel like the very well meaning, dog loving public are missing out and boy their dogs are too.

(and btw I am a "crossover trainer" meaning I used those same methods you see Cesar use to obedience train my first two dogs and didn't have any real problem with it. Of course I never used a shock collar or neck pokes LOL. What a HUGE change I have seen in mine and other dogs switching to the methods I use now. People are achieving obedience and agility titles in WAY shorter times, loving the process, animals are LOVING their jobs instead of doing them because they have no choice etc)

So to me it's just sad. I feel like the general public is being cheated- they LOVE their dogs and just want to live a pleasant life with them; they see Cesar on Oprah and don't have enough knowledge and experience to know that there are better ways. That's a big part of why I sit here hammering at this keyboard-- I wish someone would have told ME sooner.

Last edited:

Doberluv

I can and do compltely dismiss Cesar Milan because he relies on pack behavior to the extreme when our dogs are descended from semi-solitary animals. And I do not believe that we are considered a pack member to our dogs. My opinions are based on education and more recent science which is backed up very compellingly. And furthermore, even if pack theory weren't his obsession or the only trick in his bag, I still would dismiss him because he is ridiculous. I already posted why I thought that. His interpretation of body language and motives of the dogs, facial expressions is way off the track. He has no clue. He has no education in animal behavior. I will dismiss him in favor of science and behaviorists with advanced degrees in behavior. I will also favor what I see with my own two eyes after having and trained dogs for just about half a century.

B

Bobsk8

Bob, you're right in that he isn't wildly abusive, hanging dogs till they pass out, loud, violent or kicking, hitting, throwing them down in a angry, out of control, outbursts of emotional explosion.Thank goodness for that. But it doesn't have to be that severe to be mistreatment or improper treatment of an animal. It appears that he has "cured" these dogs and maybe in some cases, he has. However, like Dr2little said, that is to the average pet owner's eyes.

When behavior is stopped and it most certainly can be stopped with positive punishment, that only means that the behavior has stopped. What about all the rest of it? Behavior is only a sign of something internal. It's only what comes as a bi-product of something else going on. He does NOT deal with what is going on. He squelches or supresses signs (behavior) of the much larger than life cause of behavior. He stops it suddenly by using alpha rolls, flooding (subjecting a terrified animal to the fear trigger) up close, suddenly and over-whelmingly. The dog has no choice but to disassociate or give up...shut down. This is NOT dealing with the fear as science shows us that with dogs, desensatizing gradually gets to the core of the problem better and with far less stress and wear and tear on the dog. And besides a whole host of side effects of averse punishment, regression is one big side effect. They don't tell you on the show how many dogs have reverted to their previous behavior. The owners can't follow up with ambiguous instructions which use words like, energy, attitude, leadership, calm submissive, calm assertive, and all the rest of them. Nothing he says is specific at all. He is very charismatic and charming and he must make a certain number of people happy or his business wouldn't continue. But that is not good enough for dogs. Dogs are at the mercy of their owners. And believe me, there are more naive dog owners than not and they don't know any better at what they're seeing.

That example above is only about fear. He uses colar yanks to punish a dog for not walking just right when the dog HAS NOT BEEN TAUGHT how to walk right. I've seen him yank and yank pretty darn hard when a dog WAS walking fine, but he turned his head an inch to one side. This is unacceptable to me, especially when there ARE other ways to keep a dog's attention.

He rarely rewards a dog, very rarely. The closest thing to reward he has is the absense of an aversive. That's it.

I've seen him drag by force dogs who are terrified of slippery floors, into water among other things. He relies on force and shutting down a dog. He has truly taken dog training back decades when science has made so much progress. My only hope is that people educate themselves by people who ARE educated and not by some charming TV guy who has zero education in animal behavior.

He misreads a lot of body language and a lot of motives behind what dogs do. It's either dominate or be dominated. That's it. There is a universe more to it than that.

When I see some of the dogs he's worked with or he plunges into the midst of his so called 50 dog pack (that is not a pack, btw) they often look miserable. He says, "see? He is accepting." Or some b.s. When people who have been submerged with dogs all their lives, worked with and obsevered obsessively, like me.....I tell you there are very subtle facal expressions and body language which a lot of people don't notice....tiny nuances sometimes. And what I see is NOT what he claims is on these dogs faces. A wagging tail, for instance does not necessarily mean a dog is happy. In fact, it can mean very different things. A whole body wag is another thing. How many dogs he works with do you see a full body swing? The corners of the eyes and mouth, the set of the ears and all kinds of little things tell me a whole different story. (In most of the dogs) OK? Occassionally I have seen some things he's done which were fine. But why would someone follow someone's ways when only some things are OK when there are oodles of trainers out there who do not do these things, who DO rehabilitate dogs with problems every bit as atrocious as those dogs. Some of those problem dogs, I think are really quite mild. It's like......big freakin deal.

So, perhaps when you've watched more and read what real canine experts think, you'll see the other side of the coin better.

But I do know what you mean as far as he not being as bad as Koehler. But what does that really say? LOL.
Thanks for taking the time and clearly writing some things that I can focus on from now on.........

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
The thing is he mostly relies on collar corrections with a choke chain, he certainly does resort to alpha rolling and electronic collars at times as well. Collar corrections certainly can suppress behavior in a dog especially when they are well timed and when the dog hasn't experienced that before.
I've seen Cesar use a choke collar, but only when the owners were already using a choke collar. I have never seen him apply a choke collar that wasn't already being used. Of course, I haven't seen every episode.

I don't think that Cesra is the devil incarnate at all and I LOVE that he is geting the message out to quit humaizing dogs and start giving them exercise but it's too bad he isn't up on things enough to be teaching better methods.
Well, as I said earlier, I think it's more or less the "Dr Phil Phenomenon". I imagine that Cesar Milan *does* know better methods, but probably has been instructed by his producers to keep his advice simple and consistent.

Remember the show "Who Wants to be a Millionaire"? I think it's main appeal was that even "average" people could get the first several questions, and it made them feel smart and good about themselves. When you've seen Dog Whisperer several times, you start to be able to predict what he's going to do, and you feel smart and good about yourself. This recipe is a great way to maintain a successful television series.

Has anyone actually read his book? I'm wondering if it differs from his television show.

RD

Are you dead yet?
If he used his hand to mimic a bite to the neck with my dog, he'd get an actual bite to the neck.

As I've learned more about livestock work, I realize that there is no place for clickers or treats in this kind of training. I will be training my dog with correction and redirection when she is started on sheep. But that's okay, because when you leave her alone and let her work the sheep, she IS being rewarded. When you grab her and remove her from them, that's her punishment. In the case of working sheepdogs, their very ENVIRONMENT is reinforcing so there isn't a real need to pet/praise/treat them.

In the case of pet dogs, their environment isn't reinforcing. If they're being told to stay in one position and ignore something quite tempting (that is, in itself, reinforcing. let's say it's a sheep.) that they can never have, there either needs to be significant force to suppress their desire to have that sheep, or a significant reward offered for the act of ignoring the sheep. One thing to keep in mind, is that while both appear to work, forcing a dog to ignore the sheep will not desensitize him to its presence. He will always want that sheep, and if you aren't right there with a choke chain around his neck, he will go for it. A dog that's been conditioned to ignore it will ignore it, because he knows there's a better reward in store for him if he does.

Cesar uses force. It's not seriously hurting the dog, no. But he isn't working with a dog; he's working against a dog. I'd rather reward for compliance than punish for mistakes. If you could train without causing your dog pain, why wouldn't you do it?

And I'm glad you found my post educational, Bob. I know I've gleaned a wealth of information from yours.

B

Bobsk8

I'll admit that I haven't seen these actions that Doberluv is describing, although I have seen many episodes of the show. However, what Doberluv is describing certainly does sound abusive.
Well I haven't seen them occur yet either, but I have only watched 8 hours of his shows, so I guess if that is going on, eventually I will. From some of the posts I have read a few months ago, it seemed like every other show was "dog abusive" and I was very surprised as I stated, to see a total lack of that in the shows I have watched so far.

Doberluv

Great post Sammy. I missed it when I posted my last one. Absolutely so true about punishment.

Yes, and I don't get it. Why choose a method which makes a dog do what we desire in order to avoid something not nice when it works better to work to earn something that is nice, plus tells the dog more clearly what it is you do want. I just don't get it. All those pokes, yanks, noises...they don't teach a dog what to do at all. *shakes head in disblief.*

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
I can and do compltely dismiss Cesar Milan because he relies on pack behavior to the extreme when our dogs are descended from semi-solitary animals. And I do not believe that we are considered a pack member to our dogs. My opinions are based on education and more recent science which is backed up very compellingly.

Patricia McConnell discusses this at length in "The Other End of the Leash", which is only about 3-4 years old. She indicated that the exact issue you mention above is hotly debated even among professional animal behaviorists. Her stance, and I felt she made a compelling argument herself, is that dogs *do* in fact consider us a member of their pack.

Anyway, I really don't want this to turn into a flame war. I still agree with the vast majority of what you say, but not everything. ;)

B

Bobsk8

If he used his hand to mimic a bite to the neck with my dog, he'd get an actual bite to the neck.

As I've learned more about livestock work, I realize that there is no place for clickers or treats in this kind of training. I will be training my dog with correction and redirection when she is started on sheep. But that's okay, because when you leave her alone and let her work the sheep, she IS being rewarded. When you grab her and remove her from them, that's her punishment. In the case of working sheepdogs, their very ENVIRONMENT is reinforcing so there isn't a real need to pet/praise/treat them.

In the case of pet dogs, their environment isn't reinforcing. If they're being told to stay in one position and ignore something quite tempting (that is, in itself, reinforcing. let's say it's a sheep.) that they can never have, there either needs to be significant force to suppress their desire to have that sheep, or a significant reward offered for the act of ignoring the sheep. One thing to keep in mind, is that while both appear to work, forcing a dog to ignore the sheep will not desensitize him to its presence. He will always want that sheep, and if you aren't right there with a choke chain around his neck, he will go for it. A dog that's been conditioned to ignore it will ignore it, because he knows there's a better reward in store for him if he does.

Cesar uses force. It's not seriously hurting the dog, no. But he isn't working with a dog; he's working against a dog. I'd rather reward for compliance than punish for mistakes. If you could train without causing your dog pain, why wouldn't you do it?

And I'm glad you found my post educational, I know I've gleaned a wealth of information from yours.
Cesar has a dog that is snapping at the owner and other people, and within a minute or two he gets the dog to calm down, and stop the snapping. I can't see throwing the dog a handfull of treats, accomplishing that. I also didn't see the dog in any type of pain.. Again, that is what is very surprising to me, that "causing pain" hasn't occured in any of shows that I have seen so far , yet according to what I have read on this forum, it must be happening continually on Cesar's show. I guess I will have to keep watching, but according to family members and alot of dog owner friends, they haven't seen it so far either, which is why I posted this issue in the first place.

Members online

No members online now.