dog eating weeds, then throwing up

fwed

I have a 9lb minpin, she loves to eat weeds outside, I'll walk her and she'll sniff on some weeds than swallow them before I can stop her. We sometimes let her out in the backyard and she just eats them like crazy, I've tried standing there with a water hose and spraying her everytime she gets close to eating some weeds and regardless of how many times I soak her, she'll keep trying to eat them, I only tried that once though, I dont have the patience to do that every day. Any suggestions? She will throw up after she eats alot of weeds.

lizzybeth727

Often when dogs eat plants it's because their stomach is already upset.... which could be why you're noticing her vomit later.

Even if that's not the case, there is usually a health reason why they eat plants, perhaps she's not getting enough fiber or some other mineral from her food.

What kind of dog food do you have her on?

Doberluv

Why would you spray her with a hose for that? This little, tiny dog? This is natural IMO for dogs to eat some grass and weeds. My dogs have done this for 50 years. Just be sure they're not poison weeds or something that has been sprayed with insecticide or fertilizer. And let her do what she needs to do. If it's excessive, it may be due to some health issue but honestly, when I see my dogs eating grass here and there, I leave them be. They have their reasons. Please don't punish your dog.:(

Try giving your dog some cooked green beans (fresh, not canned) or a little cooked broccoli. Mince it up very small and add a couple TBLS to each meal.

My dogs eat grass here and there, its not a nutritional issues, its just a pastime almost lol. I agree with Doberluv, if its not a toxic weed don't worry about it, or pull your weeds.

fwed

My dogs eat grass here and there, its not a nutritional issues, its just a pastime almost lol. I agree with Doberluv, if its not a toxic weed don't worry about it, or pull your weeds.
Well, i did spray weed killer in my backyard about 2 weeks ago. I kept them out of the back yard up until this weekend bc I figured with all the rain we been getting, the weed killer should have washed off the plants by now. My yard is pretty much nothing but weeds. Should I not let the dogs play in the backyard anymore or did I wait long enough?

Lolas Dad

Well, i did spray weed killer in my backyard about 2 weeks ago. I kept them out of the back yard up until this weekend bc I figured with all the rain we been getting, the weed killer should have washed off the plants by now. My yard is pretty much nothing but weeds. Should I not let the dogs play in the backyard anymore or did I wait long enough?
Have a park nearby you can take them to or have a dog park nearby?

Yea if its nothing but weeds I would keep them clear of the backyard. Lolas dad gave the best advice! A greenbelt or dog park would be more suitable. Can you have someone come clear your backyard of the weeds?

fwed

Yea if its nothing but weeds I would keep them clear of the backyard. Lolas dad gave the best advice! A greenbelt or dog park would be more suitable. Can you have someone come clear your backyard of the weeds?
I am in process of trying to get rid of them and plant new grass seeds bc my new home did not come with sod in the back thus nothing but weeds have grown, it woudl take forever for me to do it myself with a shovel, dont know who i could call to get rid of the weeds for me, any ideas?

Doberluv

Some weed killers dissapaite in various amounts of time. Read the bottle or bag and see if it says. Or check online. Yeah, I wouldn't want him to eat something that was toxic. It is difficult to pull every weed when you have a lot. I can totally relate. I have 5 acres of weeds. LOL! And of course, we want our dogs to be able to go out in the yard and not have to walk them to a park every time they have to go out. Soooooo....perhaps a leash so you can at least sort of help distract him from eating those things.

Again....if you give him some veggies in his food, that may be all he is craving. Contrary to popular assumption, I believe dogs are omnivores, behaviorally and just plain enjoy smoe green stuff from time to time.

I pull weeds religiously out of my yard when I see one lol but I am sure there is a weed removal company. I am sure that any place that will lay sod or do other landscaping will pull weeds. Or see if a local kid could use some cash ;)

stellasmama

Proud Schnoodle Mama
Stella occasionally picks at grass in the yard.....the other day....she could not get enough......she kept hanging around the back door...I would take her out and she was eating grass as fast as a billy goat.

Each time I brought her out all she would do was eat grass...not just a blade....mouthfuls. Finally....she hurled up a big grass ball outside. I think she had swallowed something that was upsetting her tummy and that was her way of feeling better.

She was fine after she hurled up the grass. Back to her usual self.

There's no reason to worry about it. Dogs have been eating grass for thousands or tens of thousands of years, and there's no evidence at all that it's bad for them. That isn't the case, however, when grass has been treated with insecticides, herbicides, or other chemicals. Most products say on the label whether they're dangerous for pets. In any event, you should certainly keep dogs away from grass soon after chemicals have been applied. Most products break down fairly quickly, but they can be quite dangerous if your dog eats them while they're fresh.

Most dogs don't care for raw vegetables, but you can run some broccoli or green beans through the blender, adding chicken or beef broth for flavor. Or add a sprinkling of bran to their food.

The majority of dogs I know eat grass, not every day, but when they think they need it.

Members online

No members online now.