Do dogs understand laughter?

bandit

Just a question I have always wondered. I don't think they can understand words. And what is laughter as in "ha ha ha" but words. I guess but then again maybe they sense or feel your emotions. Then they can connotate the sound of laughter with the person's emotion. Is this learned or an innate understanding? Do they have to get to know a person before understanding when they hear that person's laughter?

Also have you ever seen a dog laugh? Maybe not in the same way as us people but in their own way.

TheDeena

Passionate About My Animals
Just a question I have always wondered. I don't think they can understand words. And what is laughter as in "ha ha ha" but words. I guess but then again maybe they sense or feel your emotions. Then they can connotate the sound of laughter with the person's emotion. Is this learned or an innate understanding? Do they have to get to know a person before understanding when they hear that person's laughter?

Also have you ever seen a dog laugh? Maybe not in the same way as us people but in their own way.
I have seen on American Favorite Videos dogs that appear to be laughing or more acurately “Smiling”. I would say on the whole dogs do not laugh but they sure as hell know lots of words. Well trained dogs have quite a vocabulary and do what the words implies. As far as “emotions”, dogs to me are so in tune to humans it is like your best friend. Some dogs are certainly more empathic then others but they react to everything humans do, anger, yelling, crying, laughing sadness and happiness. They are nothing like cats in that way, to me they are the most special creature put on this earth.

slide95

All of the dogs we've had, with one exception, paid some minor attention the first time, and then ignored it. They might or might not have understood what was going on, but they did realize it had nothing to do with them, and no one was going to pay any attention to them.
One dog did want to jump up on the bed and play at first. It took a little bit of work to make her realize it was none of her business.
I suppose there could be an occasional dog that would take things the wrong way and get aggressive, but I wouldn't expect it generally.

JakeFizz

"As far as “emotions”, dogs to me are so in tune to humans it is like your best friend. Some dogs are certainly more empathic then others but they react to everything humans do, anger, yelling, crying, laughing sadness and happiness."

Interesting. Offers an insight into humans and dogs emotional connection.

TheDeena

Passionate About My Animals
Dogs are the most amazing creatures on earth.they can sense all our emotions. They know if we are happy, and, crying, laughing or anything in between. If we utilize good training skills the sky is the limit on the possibilities.

Members online

No members online now.