Disc dog competitions, I don't know which way is up.

Tazwell

Fleetwood and I LOVE playing with discs. He's a great catcher, I'm an ameteur thrower. But down to business. There's a competition next weekend (hosted by disc dogs of Mi) that we are going to, registration is on site, so I was wondering if there is a division we can do. I don't know the first think about competitions.

From what I understand from reading, freestyle is all the fancy moves and catches paired with music, toss and catch is how many catches can the dog make in an allotted amount of time? And distance is the farthest catch caught?

Tell me more specifically about toss and fetch. That's the only thing it sounds like we can do LOL

SaraB

Generally, classes and descriptions depend on which format the club is following. For instance the rules for Skyhoundz D/A is going to be different from AWI's. However, it looks like this specific comp is just doing club format, so the specific rules will depend on the club. However, the concept is universal.

Freestyle: Flowing routine set to music. Typically 90 seconds to 2 minutes in duration, most novice classes are 60 seconds. What you are scored on depends on the format. Generally things like "wow factor", success rate, variety and safety are judged.

Toss and fetch/Distance and accuracy: Timed event scored on number of catches. More points for longer throws and typically a bonus point for getting all four feet off the ground. May or may not have throw boundaries or a bonus circle (catches made in the circle are worth more points)

Extreme distance: Typically one throw, tournament style with teams getting eliminated.

It looks like they have the classes split up into novice, intermediate and pro. If this is your first comp, start in novice.

Good luck!!!! I want to hear how you guys do! Prepare to be addicted. :D

Members online