Disc Dog Camp

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
So there's a disc dog camp coming up in NH this May 2-5. One of my friends really wants me to go with her and I've been wanting to learn disc pretty badly so I'm seriously considering it.

It's $600 for the whole thing. That includes meals, lodging, instruction etc and I think its a super great deal... Just don't know how to go about asking my husband since he doesn't seem to understand when it comes to dog sports. He will just see it as a waste of money unfortunately... But ugh I want to go so bad and even if I took $100-150 out of each paycheck between here and then it would pay for the whole camp.

I want... No... I need to find a way to make this happen.

SaraB

Who is it by?

ETA: do your dogs have drive for the disc already? Generally it's best to do these things once you already have a foundation on your dog otherwise you will spend the whole time working on things you could easily work on at home with a little guidance.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Who is it by?

ETA: do your dogs have drive for the disc already? Generally it's best to do these things once you already have a foundation on your dog otherwise you will spend the whole time working on things you could easily work on at home with a little guidance.
It's being held by Granite State Disc Dogs and taught by Pawsitive Vybe
http://granitestatediscdogs.com/
If you click that link and hit events and scroll down it has the camp schedule and what they will be working on

And here's the video promoting it
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200266335372555

It says to register by March 1st, but didn't hear about it until recently. My friend that wants me to go with her was talking to someone that heads this group (I think the president?) and that person said there were still some slots open if we were interested in going.

I've been working with both Cricket and Bamm on some of the foundation stuff already. Bamm has a serious knack for it, which stinks because even though I'd love for him to be the dog I bring to work with his dog reactivity has me unsure about him working around a group of other dogs. He is bonkers about the disc though and LOVES to work.

Cricket is definitely showing some potential as well. She isn't quite as hyped up about it as Bamm, but she is definitely starting to enjoy working with the "disc" more. I don't have an actual disc yet. I've been working my dogs with a rubber kong frisbee until I can get a disc that can survive the jaws that are Bamm. lol. He bites pretty hard when he catches.

I also would like to get a roller so I can work more with that as well and I need some help with some of the flatwork... mainly learning how to do the crosses.

I figure if I can go and take Cricket and learn there with her I can come back and also work with Bamm on some of the stuff I learned. Even if I can never end up competing with Bamm, he loves playing with the disc so I still want to teach him, but Cricket I'd like to compete with if I can progress to that point.

I did talk to Josh more about it today and he hasn't exactly said no. He just wants to know more information. I know he'll see my friend tomorrow since she works with me and he'll be helping her and my boss set up for the pet expo that is coming up so I think she is going to talk to him about it a little too.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Lol, I'm just imagining how the conversation would go with my other half if he said no....haha.

Basically, there would be no conversation. Just effing go!

I'm not one for compromise on those sort of things, unless there is a reason you need the money for something else (eg, rent payments, food, bills or something else that can not wait or is essential).

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Lol, I'm just imagining how the conversation would go with my other half if he said no....haha.

Basically, there would be no conversation. Just effing go!

I'm not one for compromise on those sort of things, unless there is a reason you need the money for something else (eg, rent payments, food, bills or something else that can not wait or is essential).
I think that's the big factor he would want to look into first before saying yes. The budget. Which... I totally understand if we can't afford it in the budget. But ya... I REALLLLLY want to go and talking to him today I think he does understand that. It also helps that you can pay half now and the rest later. Oddly enough that just makes it seem way more affordable.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I think that's the big factor he would want to look into first before saying yes. The budget. Which... I totally understand if we can't afford it in the budget. But ya... I REALLLLLY want to go and talking to him today I think he does understand that. It also helps that you can pay half now and the rest later. Oddly enough that just makes it seem way more affordable.
If you need the money for something else, then fair enough...

If you can afford it, and budget for it, I don't see why it would be a problem...

You only live once, and you can't take it with you.

SaraB

Ron from pvybe is for sure the guy to go too. That's great that you have done foundation stuff! Also, you can do rollers with any disc, it's a throw that rolls on the ground designed to get dogs used to chasing and tracking the disc. To be honest. I would have a hard time justifying that much money for disc, but that's just me. I have learned most of our stuff from club playdates and really enjoyed learning that way. I did just pay a hefty sum for a bed and breakfast but that was just with one other person, not a group of people.

Members online

No members online now.