Blind/Deaf Chi is home!

I picked the little guy up last night. He was very worn out after such a long trip. He is in pretty rough shape. He is very thin and has a poor coat along with several tumors and dental issues...he also has some vestibular issues...he falls over a lot and I wonder about cognitive issues as well because he will circle repeatedly like he is in a daze...he was pretty dehydrated, so he is getting sub-q fluids several times daily...he is sooooo hungry...I have been giving him several small meals in order to keep him from throwing up...thankfully he is eating well and he will be seeing the vet this week for a full screening...I wouldn't be surprised if his blood work reveals some kidney issues...whatever happens, we will deal with it...all in all, he is a sweet boy and a wonderful cuddler...he spent his first night sleeping with his head on my shoulder, completely wrapped in his blankets...I'm hoping that most of his health issues can be treated with medication, good diet, and lot's of love...he seems to be becoming more alert and aware of his surroundings...he loves lying in the sunshine in front of the french doors...he has spent most of the afternoon cuddled up there...I have taken pictures...he is a tuffy...he turns his head everytime I have the camera pointed at him..his vision must be better than we thought...I am guessing he is every bit of 16 and he has had a hard life...that is all behind him now...big thanks to Tessa, her Mom Wendy and all of the folks that pitched in to get him here! Pictures coming as soon as I get back to my good computer & high speed connection!

*big sigh of relief* I'm so glad he's with you. He did look really old in the photos, older than Tia looks and she'll be 16 soon.

That poor old guy:( It must have been a confusing and frightening few weeks for him but thanks to you and Tessa and the other wonderful folks who participated in his rescue, he'll live his last days/months...and I know this is optomistic - years... in a loving environment.

I'm on the edge of my seat for pictures....:)

Brattina88

I'm really glad to hear that he has finally made it with you! I'm glad to hear it - kudos to you and Tessa, and everyone else involved :hail:
I'm also optimistic, but maybe in a stable, family environment a lot of his problems will lessen (cognitively speaking, and stuff). Then again, maybe not. But at least now he is somewhere where he is loved and there are no cold hard bars and stressful shelter vibes!

Looking forward to his pics and frequent updates!! :D

Aussie Red

Rebel With Cause
oh I am so relieved that he is in a good loving and warm home. However long he is with you I know it will be good. Thank you all again for saving him. Senior I am sending you some help for him. Sounds as if the vet bills could be high. Thank you again everyone.

Doberluv

So wonderful that he can spend the last part of his life in a loving, safe home. That sounds so comfy, sitting in the sun. Kudos to you all.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Oh that's awesome! I missed out on a big chunk of that thread...I'm so happy for all of you!

T

tessa_s212

I picked the little guy up last night. He was very worn out after such a long trip. He is in pretty rough shape. He is very thin and has a poor coat along with several tumors and dental issues...he also has some vestibular issues...he falls over a lot and I wonder about cognitive issues as well because he will circle repeatedly like he is in a daze...he was pretty dehydrated, so he is getting sub-q fluids several times daily...he is sooooo hungry...I have been giving him several small meals in order to keep him from throwing up...thankfully he is eating well and he will be seeing the vet this week for a full screening...I wouldn't be surprised if his blood work reveals some kidney issues...whatever happens, we will deal with it...all in all, he is a sweet boy and a wonderful cuddler...he spent his first night sleeping with his head on my shoulder, completely wrapped in his blankets...I'm hoping that most of his health issues can be treated with medication, good diet, and lot's of love...he seems to be becoming more alert and aware of his surroundings...he loves lying in the sunshine in front of the french doors...he has spent most of the afternoon cuddled up there...I have taken pictures...he is a tuffy...he turns his head everytime I have the camera pointed at him..his vision must be better than we thought...I am guessing he is every bit of 16 and he has had a hard life...that is all behind him now...big thanks to Tessa, her Mom Wendy and all of the folks that pitched in to get him here! Pictures coming as soon as I get back to my good computer & high speed connection!
I did walk him to potty and he did seem a bit woozy. But I was not sure if that was from him being both blind and deaf.. I'm no expert.. just a kid that loves dogs and knows a few things.

I'm so glad that the little old man found such a wonderful owner. And I think this experience has really opened the shelter's eyes up to rescues! A doberman rescue emailed about a dog the other day and they were really interested in this too! And Lisa actually was asking me if I could maybe contact a beagle rescue for another dog. I think it has all worked out for the better. :) For both this guy, and hte rest of the dogs invovled at this shelter. :)

I'm lookign forward to pictures! :D

Saje

Island dweller
Awwwww!!! I'm so happy he is safe and settling in. It's so sad to hear he was in such bad condition but I'm sure the majority of his issues can be dealt with through TLC. SOOOOooooo glad he's with you :D :D :D Good job all.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm so glad he's with you and want to say "thank you" for all you do for our seniors that need love! You have a big heart!

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Oh, I'm so glad he's home! Kudos to all involved in helping this little guy!

SeniorPetLover

Rescue Ranger
Here are some pictures...he is very hard to photograph...he turns his head everytime I grab the camera...he goes to the doctor tomorrow, so I will know what issues we are dealing with...I am almost certain that he is not concentrating his urine and we are still battling dehydration...I have a few weapons in my arsenal to help combat those problems and my vet is super, so cross your paws that we can provide this guy with a good quality of life...his appetite is very good and he does seem to be becoming a little more aware of his surroundings...he is deaf, but he can see...here are a few photos from his first few days...

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Oh, what a sweetheart. I love the second picture. I am SO HAPPY he is with you.

There are just no words to tell you happy and full my heart feels to see him warm and safe with you. He sure does look ancient but very dear....
I can't wait to hear about the Vet visit. All paws here are crossed and anxious to know how he's doing medically.

T

tessa_s212

Thankyou for the pictures. :) I enjoyed them.

The only thing better than a success story is a success story with pictures! :D

Members online

No members online now.