Blind and Deaf Chihuahua in Need

T

tessa_s212

I'm home now and the little old man is on his way. I got to sit with him on my lap for a pretty good amount of time, and this little old man is a hoot! He's a licker for sure! And he may be old, deaf, and blind, but he's still animated! What a great personality.

SeniorPet, I do not know if you are somehow connected to the man that picked the little guy up from us, but if you are, please extend my apologies. My mom gave wrong directions which made us 30 min late getting to him. Where then when we got there and he was slightly upset for being late, my mom tried to start blaming him. He explained with frustration that he stopped at the place my mom said to and he didn't know what was so hard about that, afterall, WE are the ones that know this area. I then shut my mother up before she could say anymore, apologized and told him he was absolutley correct. I accepted the blame in place of my mom and again apologized. We got the little old man into the crate, and we both went our own ways. He's now headed your way. I just feel horrible and awful about how my mom blamed him.

Sadly, I don't think I'll be letting my mother do any more transports. I'll have to find other ways.

Thank you for everything you did Tessa and SeniorPet (check your PM box). I am just elated to know that this dear old guy will be able to live out his days with warmth, good food and the love of a very kind new friend.

I can't wait for pictures!!

Tessa - it's too bad about the mixup and being late but don't let it make you feel bad at all. This is a day to celebrate saving a life...you did such a wonderful thing for this old dog and from what Senior said, many other dogs who will pass through that shelter.:hail: :hail:

T

tessa_s212

I know this is a day to be happy. And I was soo happy! Still am for the wonderful little old man.. just.. I can't help but to feel awful about not jsut being late.. mistakes happen..but how my mom blamed him. And then she proceeded to call me AND the man names and insults all the way home. Ya.. not a good ride home. Its normal for her to insult me.. but I was NOT going to let her insult that man that was doing such a wonderful thing for all those dogs. :( I could just about cry. I just feel awful about it all.

But I am happy for this little guy. I'm trying to not let it affect me and just move on and learn not to let my mom do these things any more.

BTW, SeniorPet, the shelter seemed to have misplaced his folder. THey'll be faxing the information.

His nickname from me is "little old man" if you hadn't yet noticed. It made me think of "geriatrics", so then I just started calling him "Gerry". He can't hear, but I liked talking to him anyhow. :p

It's me...SeniorPetLover

Hi guys..it's me..I'm logged in on my laptop from home and I couldn't remember my password so I created a new account...first of all TESSA-please don't be upset or blame yourself...the main thing is that the little guy got on his way...I don't personally know Don, but I am sure this is not the first time he has encountered a delay running a transport, so he likely has taken it in stride...he must be a very special person for taking time out to make this trip, so I'm sure he is focused on the big picture...I am very grateful to your Mom for making the trip, even though things may not have worked out perfectly...we don't live in a perfect world...if we did, this trip would not even have been necessary...so stop beating yourself up and instead, feel the big hug that I am giving you for making a difference in this little dog's life...Pass that hug along to your Mom, too. I can't thank you both enough for everything that you have done for this little man. I know he is grateful, too or at least he will be when he arrives at home and realizes that he has reached Heaven's Gate. Please tell everyone at the shelter how much I appreciate their assistance and I hope that we can work together in the future to reduce the number of euthansias. Thanks again to everyone...I may never meet all of the people that have helped make this happen, but we are all kindred spirits and I feel a wonderful bond...Smile Tessa...you did a wonderful job! I will keep you well informed with pictures and posts and you are always welcome to visit!

Barb04

Super Moderator
I can't wait to hear what happened when you met the new member of your family. I'm so glad to hear he was on his way to you.

T

tessa_s212

Sorry guys. :( I know I had promised pictures.. but I couldn't find the camera last minute.

I'm just glad everything turned out well. And Cathy, I would LOVE occasional pictures. :) The little old man was just wonderful and I adored him. I'm so glad he's found a home with you. Thankyou so much!

One success story, many many more hopefully to come. I'm not sure if I'm going to the humane society today.. but I've got a few more dogs I've got to temperament test and contact rescues about. :)

It sure is a full time job.. and I'm not even all that yet involved as I plan and hope to be!.. but I love it.

And on a final note.. I've come across SOO many people that when hearing the little old man's story questioned why I'd even try to save him when there were so many normal, healthy dogs. I understand dogs like the little old man aren't very adoptable, but that doesn't' mean we can't try. That doesn't mean there aren't wonderful people out there willing to take the old guys in. So, one more last THANKYOU to Cathy and EVERYONE else involved to help get this guy to her. I'm so thankful :)

SeniorPetLover

Rescue Ranger
The little guy spent the night in Barrington and is headed my way this morning. I will be picking him up this evening and he has a vet appointment scheduled for next week. Everything is coming together...I am very excited about his arrival...Tessa, I, too am often questioned about why I choose seniors...my answer is that I feel that they deserve to leave this world with love and dignity after being a devoted companion for so many years...every life has value, but I'm drawn to seniors...the younger dogs have opportunities that they just don't have...there are rescues and organizations out there that all have a special niche, and I'm sure that they will help you save many more lives. It will be overwhelming for you at times so I would like to share the starfish story with you:

While walking along a beach one morning after a violent storm, an elderly gentleman saw a figure in the distance leaning down, picking something up and throwing it into the ocean. As he drew closer, he saw that it was a young man, picking up starfish one by one and tossing each one gently back into the water.

The old man came closer and called out, "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?" The youngster paused, looked up, and answered "I’m throwing starfish into the ocean. After last night’s storm, they washed up onto the beach, and if I don't throw them back into the water they will die."

Upon hearing this, the old man responded "But, my dear fellow, don’t you realize that there are thousands of starfish that have been washed up along this beach? You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man paused for a moment to consider what had been said. Then he bent down to pick up another starfish before throwing it past the breaking waves into the sea. "Well”, he replied, “it made a difference to that one." Paraphrased from "The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley, 1907 - 1977

You are making a difference...one life at a time. Thank you so much...and I will be happy to send pictures and updates!

SeniorPetLover

Rescue Ranger
I just heard from one of the transport coordinators...she just got a call from the driver bringing the little guy to southern IL...he is curled up on her daughters lap...I have been warned that he has been very popular with all of the people that have played a part in this and he will likely already be spoiled by the time he gets to me :)...

T

tessa_s212

While walking along a beach one morning after a violent storm, an elderly gentleman saw a figure in the distance leaning down, picking something up and throwing it into the ocean. As he drew closer, he saw that it was a young man, picking up starfish one by one and tossing each one gently back into the water.

The old man came closer and called out, "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?" The youngster paused, looked up, and answered "I’m throwing starfish into the ocean. After last night’s storm, they washed up onto the beach, and if I don't throw them back into the water they will die."

Upon hearing this, the old man responded "But, my dear fellow, don’t you realize that there are thousands of starfish that have been washed up along this beach? You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man paused for a moment to consider what had been said. Then he bent down to pick up another starfish before throwing it past the breaking waves into the sea. "Well”, he replied, “it made a difference to that one." Paraphrased from "The Star Thrower" by Loren Eiseley, 1907 - 1977

You are making a difference...one life at a time. Thank you so much...and I will be happy to send pictures and updates!
My English teacher actually just told me about this story a few weeks ago. I like it. Thankyou for telling it to me again. :)

I just heard from one of the transport coordinators...she just got a call from the driver bringing the little guy to southern IL...he is curled up on her daughters lap...I have been warned that he has been very popular with all of the people that have played a part in this and he will likely already be spoiled by the time he gets to me ...
I don't doubt it a bit. This is one special little guy, and who wouldn't be won over with doggy kisses! I'm so glad. :D

Members online