Blind and Deaf Chihuahua in Need

T

tessa_s212

So far this dog has no name. It came in as a "lost dog". So far zero signs of owners coming to reclaim the poor old man.

He is very old. Both blind and deaf, but he can still see very very faint shadows. Any dog that is both blind and deaf has more of a chance to become fearful and bite, but I saw absolutely zero signs in aggression. I could pick him up, touch his feet, head, ears, legs, tail. He is skinny and weak teeth. He cannot eat dry food.

This old man would make a good companion for an older couple or single man or woman that has plenty of time to give special care and attention to him.​

T

tessa_s212

Are you fostering him ??? Poor baby looks so young !
No. He is at the local Humane Society, stuck in a kennel. He's got a big, plushy bed with blankets. He curls up in a ball and doesn't move the entire time except if someone comes into his kennel. He will climb into your lap if you sit next to him.

The flash hides it, but the old man's face is as white as can be. I'm guessing by his teeth and difficulty eating he is well over 9 years old. Chis are such a small breed and I believe to live so much longer, so he could be much older.

I know how unlikely it is to find dogs like him a home.. but my heart aches for this one. He's so sweet. Not an aggressive bone in his body. I sat there almost in tears trying to feed the poor guy. Whoever had been feeding the dogs at the HS was just placing the dish in the front of the kennel. Who knows how many days he's been without food because no one thought to hand feed him and show him his bowl.

I'm desperate to find this guy a home and get him out of this kennel he lives in. :(

Would they ship out of the country if he was healthy enough to travel and it was paid for?
Do you know about how much he'd weigh and if he's OK with other dogs?

T

tessa_s212

Uhm, I have not weighed him. They do not have a scale. My best guess is anywhere from 5-10 lbs. Definitely not more than 12 is my guess. But,he's still kind of skinny.

I'm not so sure they'd ship him, but once given to a new home, they are not going to limit where someone woudl take him.

If there is any way you could take him I'd GLADLY get him out of there so that we could arrange to get him to you. I remember shipping Marq, and all I had to do was transfer the money to the breeders to pay for the plane, and he got here nice and safely.

From my knowledge, other than blind and deaf, no other health problems. I have not seen him with other dogs. I cannot be there until this weekend again unless I make a special visit, which I could do if you are seriously wanting him. And if I did, I could always bring my own dog to temperament test. I can also test for cats as well, as we have two catsat the shelter that are GREAT with dogs.

because he is a lost dog, he is not available for two or three more days though. There's still hope an owner might come.. but I"m very doubtful. IL mean.. a blind and deaf dog.. good riddance? :(

I was thinking if push came to shove, maybe I could do something.
With his age and being blind and deaf, he wouldn't be too stressful for Tia to have around. Rosie was blind and deaf and I'm training 2 deaf dogs right now so I'm really comfortable with the whole idea. Tia's sight and hearing is starting to go as well now.:(
I'd just hate to see that dear old guy loose a chance at a good last few years simply because people can't see past his age and minor limitations.
Could you keep me up to date Tessa, and let me know if he has a time limit?

It's never ideal to ship an older dog anywhere. It's stressful and many have problems with their ears during the flight, but if it were shipping or euthanasia...:(

T

tessa_s212

I will certainly keep you up to date. Our HS isn't too full, and normally the aggressive dogs or ones that have been there the longest go first. But who knows with this guy's condition. I will certainly call and place a note with someone to call me if he's set to be euthanized. And if it came down to euthanasia, I'd do everything in my power to help get him to you.

No matter what, I think you are an AMAZING person to jump up and even consider this. Thankyou SO MUCH for even thinking about giving this guy a chance. God knows I would if I could.. These old guys.. they pull at my heart like crazy. I just get so worked up to think they might just die cold, lonely, and old in a shelter and not in a warm comfy house with a loving owner.

This rescue person should be contacted too, they'll usually do everything possible to take a dog in from an all breed rescue and find a foster and a good home.

Chihuahua Rescue of Ohio
Peggy Lundin
(615)423-0047
[email protected]

I will certainly keep you up to date. And if it came down to euthanasia, I'd do everything in my power to help get him to you.

No matter what, I think you are an AMAZING person to jump up and even consider this. Thankyou SO MUCH for even thinking about giving this guy a chance. God knows I would if I could.. These old guys.. they pull at my heart like crazy. I just get so worked up to think they might just die cold, lonely, and old in a shelter and not in a warm comfy house with a loving owner.
I'm with you about the old ones Tessa. They're irresistable and really deserve to have happiness for however long the have left. I just don't understand how they ever end up alone like that.:(

I just get so worked up to think they might just die cold, lonely, and old in a shelter and not in a warm comfy house with a loving owner.
I cant take him in, I wouldnt want to put him through the stress of shipping anyway, but if there is a way I can help let me know.

T

tessa_s212

Sure will do! I couldn't find a Chi rescue in Ohio.. stupid me. It was right under my eyes.

I can't get that little guy out of my mind - here are a few more things to try.

If you like, I can make some calls too. I'd just need to know exactly where he is now.:(
Ohio
Littlest Angels Pet Sanctuary (LAPS)
6690 County Road 219 Bellevue, OH
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (419) 483-5489

Adopt-Aluv Small Breed Rescue
9545 Johnnycake Ridge Road
Mentor, OH - 44060-7117
Phone: 440-255-2200 -- noon to 6 pm only please
Web site: www.adopt-aluv-rescue.petfinder.org

WolfSpirit's Toy Breed Rescue - Canton, OH
Phone: (330) 453-2746
Web site: www.WolfSpiritsRescue.com

Chihuahua Rescue, USA - Ohio
Chandlersville, OH 43727
[email protected]
http://www.chihuahuarescueusa.org

T

tessa_s212

I can't get that little guy out of my mind - here are a few more things to try.

If you like, I can make some calls too. I'd just need to know exactly where he is now.:(
Ohio
Littlest Angels Pet Sanctuary (LAPS)
6690 County Road 219 Bellevue, OH
Phone: (419) 483-5489

Adopt-Aluv Small Breed Rescue
9545 Johnnycake Ridge Road
Mentor, OH - 44060-7117
Phone: 440-255-2200 -- noon to 6 pm only please
Web site: www.adopt-aluv-rescue.petfinder.org

WolfSpirit's Toy Breed Rescue - Canton, OH
Phone: (330) 453-2746
Web site: www.WolfSpiritsRescue.com

Chihuahua Rescue, USA - Ohio
Chandlersville, OH 43727
[email protected]
http://www.chihuahuarescueusa.org
He is at:
Williams County Humane Society
Bryan, OH 43557

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Oh, what a sweetheart. :( I'd take him in if I could. . .I really hope he finds a wonderful home.
Now he's going to be on my mind. . .

T

tessa_s212

I've been emailing everyone you've been giving me. So far I've gotten a few back, all with the same answer: they can't take him.

One did relay me to another rescue here: http://www.stfrancisanimalsanctuary.org/

Says they normally will take less adoptable dogs. *fingers crossed*

He's being held till Wednesday for sure. I'm calling right after school on Wednesday to ask if he's still there, and if he hasn't yet been adopted, and telling them that *I* be contacted if someone decides they are going to put him down. I will NOT let him die alone without a comfy bed and a loving owner.

Trying to find homes for some of these guys sure is a full time job. I just wish others would see the things in them that I see that makes these dogs the most amazing creatures, even if they are blind and deaf, even if they are hyper, even if they bark,.. I wish people weren't quitters. :( I'm not a quitter. Never have been. I don't give up on people, and I don't give up on dogs.

I am *determined* to get this dog into a forever home.

You're doing such a great job Tessa. If any of them don't email you back and are long distance for you just tell me and I make the calls.
Thanks for keeping us up to date. *FINGERS CROSSED*

Members online

No members online now.