Attention Breed Experts

So. Over the past 2 years, I realize that what I am looking for in a dog has changed a bit. Turns out I'm really, really interested in dog sports. Like, all of them. So, let's say I wanted a medium-ish sized dog, very biddable, reliable off leash (this is something I've taken for granted with all my other dogs, and am learning how very much I want it now that I don't have it), and not likely to be dog or people reactive. Am I basically just looking at a Golden Retriever? LOL! For some reason labs, springers, Goldens don't really appeal to me. I love Border Terriers, Welsh Terriers, Shepherds (various kinds), but am not sure I actually want to live with a terrier, plus dog reactive (yes I know, many are not ..... but many are). And I don't think I will consider any shepherds just because of the sheer volume of shedding. I just really want a dog who wants to work and play with me, and is likely to enjoy training and dog sports. Ideas? What haven't I thought of?

NicoleLJ

PSD Partner
I know you said you might not consider a shepherd for the sheer volume of shedding but that can be controlled really well with nutrition and during drop coat season, regular brushing. Sheena(who is now passed) was incredible at agility and flyball as well as being a Service Dog for me. She shed like crazy. Definitely understood why they are called German Shedders. lol But when I switched to high end kibble(Acana) in the mornings and raw in the evenings the shedding decreased hugely. I used to have to vacuum once a day when it was not shedding season and 2-3 times a day when it was. Now I can get by with vacuuming twice a week during nonshedding season and once a day during shedding season. All the qualities you are listing are ones that shepherds have in spades. I am partial to White Swiss Shepherds obviously since I breed them. But Sheena was a GSD and was one of the best dogs I ever had. Just a thought.

Bigpoodleperson

Megan and Draco
Standard (or miniature) poodle!! They are all of the things that you want. My dog goes off leash with us all the time (obviously as long as its a safe area), is up for any training or activity, not reactive at all! Totally one of the most versatile breeds. I shave my guys down into a sporting cut as I don't do the long hair. Super bonus- no shedding!!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Typical herding breed sport dog? lol.

You would probably love my ACD but (super unfortunately) I don't think he's necessarily always "typical" for the breed. But he has great drives and puts 1000% into everything he does, could excel at just about anything if I put the effort into it; really nice temperament, great with all other people/animals; loves to train, picks things up quickly, super biddable and eager to do whatever I ask of him, I trust him off leash just about anywhere. And despite how nicely he turns ON and never quits once we're going... he is the calmest, most chill dog in the house. And a nice sturdy, portable size at 28lbs :) He does shed a lot though.

I had looked at Australian shepherds and border collies too. I think you could find what you're looking for with herding breeds.

I know this might sound crazy since you said you didn't want hair, but you might consider a Belgian Tervuren. In my brief experience, (the past year) Niko has had one major coat blow that was handled very well by a professional grooming/ blow out. Otherwise than that brief period, he hardly sheds at all. The labs and ACD I had in the past shed much more consistently. Tervs are very very versatile if you want to try a bunch of different activities (herding, tracking, agility, obedience. barn hunt etc) I think they are considered on the high side of medium sized --Males around 60lbs or so and females about 45 or so....I am new to the breed and new to dog sports but I am enjoying the learning, the breed, and the experience so far :)

Standard poodle is definitely on my consider list. And interestingly, so are Tervs. I always thought they'd be too much dog for me and my family, but I'm starting to reconsider. Must think ........ And ya, herders seem to fit the bill.

Members online

No members online now.