About to buy a GSD

Hey. I'm looking around at GSD breeders for a pup. Just a few questions... What is the average price for a pup? I don't wanna get ripped. Best time to take a GSD pup home? Does anyone else have a GSD? Could anyone tell me a bit more about them? We have a huge backyard suitable for a German Shepherd. So thats all good. Yeah. Thanks. I'll be posting some pics in a couple of weeks when we get her :)

Fran27

Ok, first thing, you really need to learn about the breed when you get a dog. So, I suggest you go to google and do a search on german shepherds and spend a day reading whatever comes up.

Next, make sure you get your dog from a responsible breeder (check the post at the top of the forum). Then, it will probably take longer than a couple weeks to get her if you go through a responsible breeder, as they don't have litters all the time.

I suggest you look up the GSD club and get addresses from there.

bubbatd

" How to Raise A Puppy You Can Live With " tells you how to evaluated a litter for the best pup for you.

poeluvr

SandStone_Kennels said:
Hey. I'm looking around at GSD breeders for a pup. Just a few questions... What is the average price for a pup? I don't wanna get ripped. Best time to take a GSD pup home? Does anyone else have a GSD? Could anyone tell me a bit more about them? We have a huge backyard suitable for a German Shepherd. So thats all good. Yeah. Thanks. I'll be posting some pics in a couple of weeks when we get her :)
you should read what i wrote back to you in my thread "is my puppy too little" in puppy forums, because i think you should know what i have to say to that comment.
as for a gsd puppy good luck with that, there are so many to choose from! :)

First, check out the stickied thread here http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787 to help guide you in choosing a breeder.

Eight weeks old is really the minimum age for a GSD, 10 to 12 weeks is great.

I'm assuming you're only mentioning the backyard as a place for your GSD to be able to play and exercise in a safe, contained area, not as its 'home.' A German Shepherd is a dog that needs lots of time with it's people - in the house. They don't do well when left on their own in the backyard, but then, no dog really does.

I'm afraid I'm no help on pricing, as all of mine, with the exception of my first GSD pup, have been rescues.

Just curious, what other dogs do you have? I ask because your call-name, "Sandstone Kennels" implies you have other dogs or you operate a boarding facility. ;)

S

stirder

well lets see, where to start??? some of this you may already know, hopefully some of it will be new info that will help you. 1st off to answer your 1st question...price depends on what you are looking for. do you want american showlines? (I suggest avoiding those), german showlines, german workling lines, czech lines? heres one site that shows some of the different types http://www.nwk9.com/type_comparison.htm
if you are interested in doing schutzhund, herding, agility, etc I would recommend working lines. if you want to show, showlines of course. just a family dog? Id recommend a breeder who uses european lines, wether working or show. american line dogs have smaller bone structure, smaller heads, and can barely hold their butts off the ground. they are a lot more prone to genetic health disorders.
for a well bred, health garaunteed pet quality puppy you should expect to pay between $500 and $1,200 dollars depending on the lines and breeder.
best time to take a puppy home is not before it is 9 weeks old. and when someone will be home to house train it and bond with it.
I have had gsd's my whole life and have been training them (and other breeds) for over 12 years. you are more than welcome to ask me any questions you want, on here, on the other site I pm'd you, or you can pm me. its hard to just start listing info about them, it would take forever and still wouldnt list it all, and I dont know what you already know.
and a big yard is deffinetly a must, but is this going to be an outside dog??? if so I HIGHLY recommend you stay away from gsd's. as an outside dog it will not be happy. it will be bored, hyper, dig and chew, it will find a way out of the fence, and it will be very difficult to control even on leash. not saying that to hurt you, or to sound like Im reading anything into your post. but there are a lot of people who get gsd's and other breeds, think it will be okay to keep them outside all the time, and then wonder why they cant control their dog. they are absolutely family dogs, and need to spend as much time as possible with the family. like I said, if you do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions you will not regret choosing a gsd.

bubbatd

It's interesting that you say not before 9 weeks. I personally feel this depends on the breeder. Having only bred goldens and knowing they are better to bond with new owners as close to their 8th week as possible I'd really like to know why GSs are different. Doesn't it depend on what the breeders can do the next weeks ? I personally would not want to buy a " left over" at 9 to 12 weeks if the other pups have gone home. Your are right about the timing considering the 8th week is the " fear and sensitive time " .....I've kept pups longer when they had to be shipped, but brought them in as part of the family. A lot of people are confused by the weeks thing.......49th day of life is the best....I sent home the closest to that day on a weekend when the bonding could start.

S

stirder

the 8th and 9th week are the most important for them to be around their siblings. they learn social standards from them, such as how to play, how hard they can play before being yelled at by bro, sis, or mom. its very important for their socialization. this is true of all herding and guardian breeds, maybe not with retrievers and other breeds that are not territorial though? I do know that most terrier breeders dont send puppies to homes untill they are 9 weeks old. and it shouldnt be a left over, if you find a gsd breeder who is selling pups before 9 weeks old they are almost garaunteed to have done a lot of other things wrong, such as choosing the parents.
ask the breeder why they bred this litter from these two dogs.
if they say to improve the breed, ask them how this breeding could improve the breed. (improving the breed is the only responsible reason to breed).
ask them what titles the parents have recieved. (titles prove that the dogs have proven themselves as good representatives of their breed).
ask them what kind of health and temperment garauntees they offer on the pups.
ask to see the OFA certifications of both sire and dam of the litter. also ask what grade the rest of the bloodlines got.
once you find a good breeder pick the puppy based on: bright clear eyes, nice soft coat (no tangles etc), clean non-smelly puppy area, clean non-smelly parents areas, energetic, comes right up to you rather than shying away or ignoring you, doesnt mind being picked up (its okay if it wants to be put back down, though not preferable), not smaller than the rest of the litter (females are smaller than males, but the pups should be pretty similar in size as puppies, just like human babies are). ask them to point out the differences between show/working quality and the pet quality puppies. atleast 1 puppy in the litter should be working or show quality, and you should not be able to tell a difference between them even after it is explained.
and if you dont mind my asking, what breeder are you getting one from? if you havnt chosen a breeder yet I'd be happy to recommend a few. feel free to pm me.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
stirder said:
the 8th and 9th week are the most important for them to be around their siblings. they learn social standards from them, such as how to play, how hard they can play before being yelled at by bro, sis, or mom. its very important for their socialization. this is true of all herding and guardian breeds, maybe not with retrievers and other breeds that are not territorial though? I do know that most terrier breeders dont send puppies to homes untill they are 9 weeks old. and it shouldnt be a left over, if you find a gsd breeder who is selling pups before 9 weeks old they are almost garaunteed to have done a lot of other things wrong, such as choosing the parents.
ask the breeder why they bred this litter from these two dogs.
if they say to improve the breed, ask them how this breeding could improve the breed. (improving the breed is the only responsible reason to breed).
ask them what titles the parents have recieved. (titles prove that the dogs have proven themselves as good representatives of their breed).
ask them what kind of health and temperment garauntees they offer on the pups.
ask to see the OFA certifications of both sire and dam of the litter. also ask what grade the rest of the bloodlines got.
once you find a good breeder pick the puppy based on: bright clear eyes, nice soft coat (no tangles etc), clean non-smelly puppy area, clean non-smelly parents areas, energetic, comes right up to you rather than shying away or ignoring you, doesnt mind being picked up (its okay if it wants to be put back down, though not preferable), not smaller than the rest of the litter (females are smaller than males, but the pups should be pretty similar in size as puppies, just like human babies are). ask them to point out the differences between show/working quality and the pet quality puppies. atleast 1 puppy in the litter should be working or show quality, and you should not be able to tell a difference between them even after it is explained.
and if you dont mind my asking, what breeder are you getting one from? if you havnt chosen a breeder yet I'd be happy to recommend a few. feel free to pm me.
Really? From what I hear it actually goes up to 12 weeks...

Good posts, Stirder . . .

I've had a Shep since I was twelve and can't imagine life without one, no matter what other dogs I have. Some have been pure-bred; two have been mixes. Personally, I HATE what has happened to the modern German Shepherd. I love the old farm German Shepherds; the ones that fit the 'old' standards . . . 65-80 pound dogs, none of those silly, swoopy hindquarters, sturdy chest, not too leggy . . . the kind you only see now bred by the old farmers who only breed to have their own working dogs and have been doing it for decades upon decades.

I've wondered if the dogs bred from Rin Tin Tin's line have maintained the old lines, or if they too have succumbed to all of the "improvements."

S

stirder

bigdog, thats true. some breeders dont allow the pups to go to new homes untill even 14 weeks, but that is rare. they do still get socialization and skills from their siblings and mother, but the most important is done by 9 weeks. also when they stay untill 10-14 weeks, they become more bonded to their siblings and the breeder. its hard to say what is exactly right, but they shouldnt be homed untill atleast 9 weeks old. personally if I bred a litter Id have a hard time ever letting them go.
actually the original type shepherd is still very common. it is non-existent in american lines but a lot of breeders in american have german lines. the german working lines are the closest to the original type. my last gsd was a carbon copy of the first ever registered gsd. he was imported from germany. the male I have now is a german showline dog. hes not exactly original type, but he has the large bone structure and straight back of the original type. Im going to post a few pictures of him here, and then I will paste on a couple of websites of kennels who breed true german shepherds, not the american shitherds.
his back looks a little sloped in this picture, normally it is almost level. he is a belgian import from german showlines, deffinetly show quality and has proven his working ability...

this just shows how happy he gets...

shows his big head, certainly not the refined weak head of the american lines...

this one I just like to show off...

and here are a couple of sites...
http://users.pandora.be/daelenberghutte/index2.htm

http://www.whirlingthunder.com/

and actually beware of ads saying old style large boned oversized german shepherds. these are typically larger than they were ever supposed to be, and more prone to health problems, and bred only for size.

bubbatd

Good posts !!! I haven't bred in 12 years, but through my " Puppy Bible" did everything ( plus more) any GOOD breeder should do. My pups were ready to move on at 8 weeks. Weaned, eating well, all puppy shots, worm checked ( never had any of over 100 pups....Mom's were checked before breeding ), on puppy heart worm, socialized with each pup inside at least 1/2 hour a day, paper trained and each evaluated for personality. They were vet checked at 2 days old, and before their 1st shots.Now anyone considering having a litter, that's at least 2 hours a day per pup. AT the beginning.......from 5 weeks on, each pup got 15 mins. a day one on one...grooming, nails, loving etc. Sorry to carry on..... I miss having babies !

S

stirder

I figured from the bottom pic on your signature that he was either german working or show lines, at that age and sometimes as adults its hard to tell between the 2. hes a pretty (or should I say handsome) dog.
and also to anyone thinking about breeding, unless you are very iresponsible, you will not make any money. its rare for a good breeder to ever even break even. they do it because its their passion and hobby.

bubbatd

BigDog... you know with me Rocky rules !!! I know you don't plan to breed him.

S

stirder

he's only 6 months old? he cant be ofa certified untill 24 months. is there a reason you dont plan to breed him? not saying you should or shouldnt, just wondering.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I probably won't. Mostly because I don't have the money to go through all the health tests and such. And I doubt it will be that much better 2 years down the road.

And with that, I would be an irresponsible breeder. I know nothing about breeding. Of course, I could learn. But I really do doubt it would happen. He's going to get neutered soon actually.

S

stirder

good answers. it is expensive, and a lot fo work. if you dont plan on breeding then neutering is deffinetly a responsible way to go.

Thanks everyone for the replys. We have a border collie at the moment as well. I set up this account when we were doing jack russells. We don't no more. We like GSD's much better. They are a real dog to us. Anyway, today we went to the CAWA show. It was pretty cool. We looked around at a couple of people's dogs and watched some classes. We are getting as much info as we can about the breed. The GSD pup we get will be living outside and inside. Our border collie does the same. Its just in winter when they're all muddy he's not allowed inside. But, as we have 6 people in our family who often go for walks, both the dogs will be out and about every few hours. And yeah, we're not gonna go for the "left overs" as some of you call them. We're having a look at a breeder down south this weekend. They have two litters. One which is 4 weeks yesterday and 1 which is 6 weeks yesterday. We really like the look of the pictures.
Cya

Members online

No members online now.