A Preemptive Strike

M

musictech

My puppy is 4 months old right now. In 2 months he turns 6 months old. About that time many male dogs will begin to start marking their territory instinctively. Is there anything I can do now, to prevent this behavior?

Mainly, I am trying to keep from getting him fixed.

Saje

Island dweller
Why would you try and keep him from getting fixed? That's the best option for more than just the territorial issues.

M

musictech

One day I would like to have some second generation puppies. I looked for several months for this specific mix, and I want to leave that option open.

M

musictech

Yes, I would like that option. I will only breed it with another dog of the exact same mix though, with two pure blood parents. Just like this one.

Julie

I am back again.
What mix is he? Jack/chi??? just a guess.

Anyway, Forget the breeding thing, and just enjoy your dog. When the time comes to get another dog, there will be more than one of that mix to choose from in the shelters.

And cheaper and safer than raising a litter.

Edit: Not to mention you will be saving a homeless pup, instead of adding to the population.

Please get him fixed now he is a cross and as sweet as he may be you will only be adding to the rescues, health wise he will be better off without his two friends

bubbatd

I agree with the neutering .... either way, a male ( and female ) will mark .

M

musictech

Regardless of your opinion on purebred or not, my question was how to keep him from starting to mark his territory without fixing him. I am sure people with purebred dogs have this problem too, so there must be a solution.

there is no solution, as male will always mark especially when around other dogs, that is why a lot of breeders house their stud dogs out side, your dog will do this for the rest of his life, if you let him get into the habbit now and decide on neutering in a year or two it will be to late, nutering now is the best option.

durvish

Gallien Jacks is right. My Mikey is a rescue dog (male) that wasn't fixed until I adopted. By that time he was already marking which he continues to do. For health reasons and your sanity you should have yours fixed. And if you do have puppies from him in the future will there be enough people that will want one so as not to add to the overpopulated shelters?

Saje

Island dweller
Even if there are enough people who want one it will be adding to the overpopulation. Techinically (although not true of everyone) those people who want dogs could get a mutt from the shelter rather than the op. So the dog they would have adopted would remain there.

Saje said:
Even if there are enough people who want one it will be adding to the overpopulation. Techinically (although not true of everyone) those people who want dogs could get a mutt from the shelter rather than the op. So the dog they would have adopted would remain there.
yes very true

M

musictech

He isn't around other dogs except outside. Would this make it possible to do this? I am not concerned with being able to give away the puppies. He was on puppyfind.com for about 3 days before all his brothers and sisters were adopted, and that was with a cost for purchasing them. Plus I have had mixes nearly all of my life, and I have yet to have a puppy go to a shelter.

durvish

Originally Posted by Saje
Plus I have had mixes nearly all of my life, and I have yet to have a puppy go to a shelter.
One last preach and I am done --- It's not one of your puppies going to a shelter, it's the one that has to stay there and possibly die because someone else is adding to the already overpopulated population.

Beyond that I am afraid he will always mark. I just hope he is like Mikey and only does it outside.

On a side note they don't only mark trees and shrubs, they will even mark people if that person has a strong smell of their male dog on them. Not making it up! I've seen it happen!

M

musictech

durvish said:
It's not one of your puppies going to a shelter, it's the one that has to stay there and possibly die because someone else is adding to the already overpopulated population.
Ok why are you not telling the other people here the same thing? Gallien Jacks just had a litter, how come your not complaining to him? Because he has a purebred? Remember that every dog owner on this message board has a dog whose breed was a result of a mix, at some point in history.

But once again it doesn't really matter in regards to the question. I didn't ask for an argument over the value of a mixed breed against the value of a purebred. Well anyway, will take this back up on Monday I suppose.

durvish

I'm not sure how your gonna get him to not mark. I would start by not allowing male dogs into the house to keep him from marking inside. Outside I would guess you can let him mark but you'll have to work him knowing inside from out.

Members online

No members online now.