A kid with a box of matches?

keyodie

Keyozilla
What do you guys think about the fire in CA being started by a kid playing with matches?

Dang... I feel bad for that kid. :( If he IS 7 years old like I heard.

A

Angel Chicken

I'd be one pissed off mama.

I feel bad for him, and pissed at his parents. 7 years old and playing with flammable objects? How friggin' ignorant are they?

Both my kids know damned well they had better not even TOUCH my lighters/matches, or they'll get their asses whooped. Plain and simple. It may seem like an ass whoopin' is too much for that, but in my eyes, lighters are dangerous, and I give spankings when my kiddos put themselves or others in danger.

But yeah, the poor kid has to live with the fact that his fire killed people, and burned thousands of people out of their homes. Good job mom and dad! :lol-sign:

keyodie

Keyozilla
Ugh I know. I feel so sorry for the kid. :( I heard the parents might have to pay for the damages.

But seriously... dang... A kid playing with matches destroyed so many homes and KILLED people? And have you seen those satellite pictures?

yoko

omg that's crazy.

is it true? if so that family is about to hit some really hard times

A

Angel Chicken

Yeah, I saw them.... amazing, eh? All the smoke! it was WAYYYYY put into the ocean.

Labman, don't bring your TV debate into this please.

Dekka

Just try me..
I feel bad for everyone. Kids, even when they know things are wrong can snag matches and hope that mom won't notice. Maybe the parents are really neglegent, I don't know, but you never know.

That so sad.
LOL I have watched my share of violent TV and have yet to start a fire (well except in my woodstove or a campfire)

milos_mommy

It is terrible. That kid is probably going to be messed up psychologically for the rest of his life. I wouldn't automatically blame the parents. Yeah, they should have been watching your kid. But who knows where he got the matches, if he even knew what he had, etc.

malmo

Here to learn
Not that it makes a huge difference, but I heard on the news this morning that the kid was 10. Also, he was the cause of one of the large fires, but not all of them.

Still, it's a big question.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
A girl I grew up in Sunday School with died a few years back in a house fire that was started by her little brother (about 10 years old at the time) playing with matches. Terrible stuff.

Ash47

Taco Dog
OMG... That's awful. Who knows if the parents knew. That will all come out in the end. But just think, that child will never have a normal life again. Imagine the damage that is going to do to that kid, in addition to all the damage already caused to other families. :( Sad for all involved, indeed.

Puckstop31

Super-Genius
Would they seriously make the parents pay? That is absurd to the point of insanity.

Sue the Sierra Club, E.L.F. and all the other enviro-nazi groups by whose lobbying provided all the fuel that turned this into a MASSIVE fire. They pressured local governments into not clearing away old, dead trees and brush. This provided the fuel that allowed this to become what it was.

If that was me, i'd never pay it. Ever.

malmo

Here to learn
I heard that it'll be really hard to tack this onto the parents, as they would have to demonstrate not only neglect (as in, not watching or supervising the kid) but that they had prior knowledge that the kid was planning to commit a crime. The kid was planning to play with matches, not planning arson. But it'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I guess I'm the odd man out.. I don't feel bad at all for them. It's a huge and dramatic lesson in the fact that our actions reap consequences. The parents and the child should be held responsible in some way for destroying thousands of lives.

Wake up America, your kids are destroying the world.

ETA: This sounds harsh- I do feel bad to a degree.. but it's a lesson all around.. for the parents, or lack thereof and for the child, no matter the age. Irresponsibility sucks and apparently, kills people and ruins their homes and futures.

bubbatd

I feel terrible for the child , his parents and to those who have lost so much because of it . I can see it happening as many kids love to use matches . When I was about nine , a boy in school lit a match and threw it at me ..... it just burned a small hole in my blouse , but it could have been much worse . This boy may have just lit one and dropped it . OR .....he could have had problems . I really feel the parents shouldn't be accused unless they find that they have negected the boy . We had 2 children die in a house fire here last year when a boy played with matches in his bedroom . In this case , the Mom thought that they were asleep and ran to the grocery down the block for some milk . She was arrested for neglect .

Buckshot

Perhaps we should punish the parents and the child, make them pay everything they will ever earn to the victims. What will this produce? I would guess a homeless family, possibly drug addicted but certainly govt handout recipients, unless they were denied that, then they would be thieves (not that govt handout recipients arent thieves). So how could we get our pound of flesh, without creating more expense to innocent citizens? I guess we must kill them, whos up for it? We need a trigger man. All sarcasm aside I think the punishment of knowing what has happened hurt them more than I would have been able to live with. I cant really think of a worse torture than to have to face the reallity of what happened.

It's tragic all the way around.

I grew up in Northern California and we had brushfires in the summer there, too. Not like in the desert, but we still had them.

One summer two of the boys in the neighborhood - Jeff and Joey, who were about 7 at the time - managed to set Joey's back fence on fire. The fence that was the boundary between his house and the horse ranch behind us. It was just lucky that Joey's dad saw the fence burning and got everything hosed down before we had a brush fire going in that dry pasture behind our subdivision.

Jeff and Joey's parents hadn't neglected them or let them run wild - both sets of parents were really pretty strict. They kept pretty close watch on their kids, too, but you can't watch a kid 24/7. The most violent TV was the evening news and Looney Tunes.

Sometimes kids do really dumb things. And sometimes really dumb things turn into really big disasters and really sad tragedies. That's been happening since the dawn of man, I'd be willing to bet, and it will be happening until the very last kid grows up.

Boemy

If he were my kid, he'd be grounded for years. :mad: Ten years old is old enough to "know better." If he feels massive amounts of guilt . . . well, he should! He ruined people's lives. He forced firefighters to risk their lives. People could have been killed because of his stupid actions.

Should the parents pay for the damages? I don't think so, not unless they were handing him matches and saying, "Here, go entertain yourself." The kid was old enough to make his own choices. I can see how it would happen, since fire is fascinating, especially to kids.

Staff online

Members online