Things not looking good for possible new addition

Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
1,610
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
33
Location
Illinois
#1
Now I guess she might be pregnant. :rolleyes: My bf found out today from his cousin that she accidently let her male chi mix get together with her. My bf told her from the beginning that he wouldn't take her if she was pregnant. You'd think she'd try to be a little more careful!:mad: Now I don't know what to do. We were going to pick her up next weekend. We just don't have the time, the money, or the experience to deal with a pregnant dog. I just want to cry... There is a Min Pin breed specific rescue near us so maybe they could help. God, I'm just so frustrated!!


For anyone who's lost this is my first thread

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59534
 

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Staff member
Joined
Dec 16, 2004
Messages
55,184
Likes
35
Points
48
#2
I wish you could, would help with my past experience if i could, at least u know you could place the puppies in good homes with your chazzer friends help. Since she is already in the condition you could have the joy of being puppy parents. I adore newborns of anykind but do not bring them into the world for my own satisfaction. With a little dog and usually small litters it wouldn't be that much work, not like a lab with 12:yikes: baby gates don't work against that kind of puppy force.
 
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
1,610
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
33
Location
Illinois
#3
I would really like to take her, but I know I wouldn't have the money for an emergency c-section if something went wrong. Especially after Joey's ordeal this summer. I also have absolutely zero experience with pregnant dogs, or even unneutered dogs. All the pets in my family have been fixed. I'm just so torn. I really want to help her.
 
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
1,610
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
33
Location
Illinois
#6
Are there a lot of risks with that? And how long can you wait before it's too late? The earliest we'd be able to pick her up is next weekend. So she'd be a week and a half along before we'd be able to get her to the vet.
 

Melissa_W

New Member
Joined
Jul 26, 2005
Messages
4,290
Likes
0
Points
0
#7
I think that would be okay. My understanding is that spaying a dog while she's pregnant is no more risky than the pregnancy itself. But I'm no breeding expert. Perhaps you could ask on the Breeding Ground section of the forum.
 

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Staff member
Joined
Dec 16, 2004
Messages
55,184
Likes
35
Points
48
#8
it takes 62 days for gestation so they would be fetuses at this point, but not very far along. That would be the best course of action. The world does not need more puppies right now, no matter how beautiful they are. And your right, an emergency csection would be expensive.
 

Dekka

Just try me..
Joined
May 14, 2007
Messages
19,779
Likes
3
Points
38
Age
44
Location
Ontario
#10
The spay is not harder. The cost is slightly more. I agree it would likely be the best course of action.
 

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
8,415
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
N Texas, USA
#11
She could be spayed. Be prepared for it to cost a bit more because they will want to do the bloodwork prior and spaying a bitch close to a season, in season, or newly pregnant is a bit more difficult.

It can be done, and in this situation...I would definitely consider it. the risks due to anesthesia would be the same spayed now or later...so that's not really an issue.

How long since she might have been bred? There IS a "mis mate" shot that can be given within 72 hours of a breeding that will prevent a litter, BUT it also extends the season so that's more days to watch like a hawk ;)
 

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
Joined
Feb 14, 2006
Messages
7,308
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
Connecticut
#12
personally id take her and opt for a spay/abortion. its only as invasive as a regular spay, it just might be a little more expensive due to the adortion side of things...

it seems like it would be the best course of action, not only for you to be able to take her without worry, but for HER saftey as well.

good luck!
 
Joined
Oct 25, 2006
Messages
480
Likes
0
Points
0
#13
You might contact the rescue and tell them the situation and ask if they have a foster home that will take care of mama & babies and allow them to adopt the babies out, they would probably give you mama back once her babies were weaned. It would be worth a shot.

Most of the time rescues have a very easy time adopting out puppies too so you wanting mama probalby wouldnt upset them too much. They might ask that you pay to get her fixed though...

Or as everyone else suggested, take her to the vet & have her spayed right now.
 
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
1,610
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
33
Location
Illinois
#15
Ugh.....some people are so frustrating!! Well now I guess the cousin is not very happy about us fixing the dog when she's pregnant. I'm sorry about the puppies, but I would not be able to handle it if something happened to her while giving birth. I wish she'd just understand that after what I've been through with Joey this summer, any risk is too much of a risk in my mind. That doesn't make me a bad person does it?
 
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
1,610
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
33
Location
Illinois
#17
Thank you Baxter'smyBaby! Most people/coworkers I've talked to think I should just take her and let her have the puppies so I can sell them. :rolleyes: I'm glad that I have people to talk to here that understand my point of view.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Top