sad but a puff of wind in my sails at the same time. Do overs are my curse, but if it is the learning which is paramount, and doing something "different" is the goal, and if following your gut even when you don't know why is what your doing, the results are still on the right path. I wanted this done by
Christmas, that is not happening, but it is getting done, and she did add many more elements that I never agreed to ( a mistake that won't happen twice)...so long story short, and a picture is worth a whole lot of words.
This should not have happened. IF it was going to crack, it would have done it in the bisque firing. So all I can figure is the lined pieces of two different clay bodies, just cannot be cooled at the rate they are cooling the big kiln. Something something carbon coring was told to me too, as a possible reason, but I dont' have a good understanding of that yet.
what I did learn is my red held strong, my slips were the way wanted them to, and I very much like the mason stain, burnished over raw clay body. I just have to give up that dark line on the bottom. I can probably still keep it on the top piece, none of the non lined pieces cracked an iota.
dark one cracked //unlined did not
this means the teapot has a very good chance of cracking, i might as well just start over and assume it will. The good news is the sescond time, goes faster, and is almost always a stronger piece.
Problems are par for the course, just as long as I still feel I am on the right track I am ok. IT's starting to look like a set.
I will email her these two and show her the difference and ask her if she would like a rim of the dark even tho it cannot be an entire surface or if she just prefers the white which is easiest.
I like the dark, but I also want what is most difficult. It has a iron type surface, where the white more traditional.
I am pleased with the surface of light mason stain that is burnished in. I like it much better then the stoneware. OF course I need another bag and that will be a long drive. Anyone going to Lawrence Ks?
I hope she thinks so, too. Your work is AMAZING. I think it's ridiculous and ungrateful for her to expect you to do an entire flock of chickens as well as her dogs, though. Maybe I'm just rude, but wow. That's so much work.
Nothing good comes easy right? THe lid just wont' fit right so I need to do it a third time. I also just took the teapot off of the shelf to load it in the kiln and dropped the lid.
I have a terrible sad and am firmly on my pity pot.
I bet I am the only person on the planet that said, those chickens are too big, after getting the whole thing for the third time together. IN the morning, I will do them over, smaller. So you know what I am doing. Sheesh
And if you have a find it vibe for my camera, please let me know. It's here somewhere. I have a spare, but not a spare memory card. Note to self, get spare card.
third time is the charm right? IT's a shame the lids are not interchangeable. Getting closer, teapot number two next. I can't fire anything until I pay my dues, and I can't do that until next month, so it will all go through at the same time. That might make it easier to keep track of so nothing disappears.
I love seeing other artists process and growth. My visual language teacher once said a school isn't an empty vessel to be filled up, it is a group growing in the same direction. Something like that, but it made a lot of sense to me. I wish others would share more here. I wish I could learn faster than I do, but slow and steady beats not at all. Still trying teapot number two. I will do this thing even if it succeeds by pure luck. THanks for letting me share, itakes me feel like I am not in this ordeal alone.
I made a lid, I don't like it. I made the cat to go on top, too big, do it again, smaller, and do the lid again..smaller. smaller is so much harder.
but I really think this is my best teapot ever. Light, an it feels like a walk in teh woods to me.
It will look considerably darker when fired
FIRST attempt cracked as i knew it would from the other lined pieces. At least I know I was on the right track color wise with the dogs. Attempt number two is in the drying stage. Lets hope it doesn't take a third time to be the charm. HEy tho, the spout didnt' drip.
Just did starling rescue and freed him from the wall behind the washing machine. Put up the animals, made a small hole..gave room. ANd voila. One healthy vibrant starling who didn't even bother to say thanks as he shot out the open front door. Jeez. Now goes back to fix the hole. Since a bird was found dead there when they fixed the plumping I am thinking a flap might be better than a perm ix. Something that would let them see light, and let them drop out if it happens again. Just as long as it doesn't draw any notice from the building owner when I leave.
and sooooooo because no good deed goes unpunished. WHen I put the dogs in the room so they coudln't catch the bird on his way out, I forgot that the teapot i ahve been working on for freaking ever was wrapped in bubble wrap, in a container for safety because while I was gone yesterday i was afraid Ressie might roam the shelves. So when I go to work on it, I remember where I put it, and I open the door and there it is, on the floor with the handle broken off. I am going to try to reconsititute the moisture content by making a plaster bucket and letting the moisture slowly be absorbed back in. THe handle had one joint I wans't totally thrilled with, so I am going to take the Dharma outlook that it's the universe trying to tell me something. Do it again, and do it better. Sighs.