Bringing Home Midnight.

noludoru

Bored Now.
I had the girls (Stephanie and Dorothy) and their cousins, Justin and Jaclyn over today. I wanted them to come socialize the kitties--thing went very well. :) To tell you guys the truth, that's about the only thing that went well. We had lunch, watched a movie, and walked them home. When we got to their house Middie was panting like crazy behind their house, tied to the chain. He was clearly severely overheated, as the poor guy only tried to jump up on me a couple of times. Then he just leaned against me staring into my eyes, panting so hard he shook. He was dehydrated, so I got a bucket and gave him several refills, as he enjoys pawing the water out after a couple sips. Then I coated his undersides in water, repeatedly. This went on for about 30-45 minutes, and I had to keep running back and forth from the kiddie pool to him to refill.

Every time I turned my back on him, he went alive with a panicked energy, and wildly threw himself against the chain, cryings and shrieking. He thought I was going to leave him. I'd get the water, he'd stop, and I'd go back, and gradually the crying died down. The kids in the pool didn't really care, as they hear it all the time and have turned a deaf ear to it. I don't know how anyone ever could. It makes me cry every time I have to leave him to go home. Walking away from him and hearing his screams rips me apart.

I'm sick of this. I cannot take it anymore. I've stood by and watched this dog be tortured his whole life. He gets exercise maybe once a week, and only if I basically order the girls to OR go there myself and take him on a run. In the winter he got a little bit of wood shavings in his doghouse that is the size of my cat-crates. He gets fresh water off and on. He has very little shade in the summer... no place to cool off in.

Even me, the complete NOVICE at dogs, could give him a far better home. And love.

So I am going to give him one. I guess it doesn't really matter if I'm sick all the time, or even half the time, my house would still be better for him. And for me. Then I wouldn't have to cry over his misery. Maybe over other things, but not that.

I need help from you guys. A lot of help. Because for all the books I might read and how much I might want a dog so badly.. that doesn't equate to experience. And practical lessons.

I plan on having him here by the weekend. I don't know why this never occurred to me before, but I'll just offer his owners $50 and the end of his expenses, and their granddaughters can still see him any time they want. Just not out their back window. If they balk at $50, I'll up it to $75 or $100. I know there isn't even a chance that will be refused, on any grounds.

So... list of things I'll need..

1. Tags printed w/ my info as well as new collar & lead.
2. His vaccination proof, if they even got him vaccinated. If there isn't any of that... then I need to get him vaccinated.
3. Frontline to get the **** ticks off before he comes inside.
4. Groomer's appointment--he smells like a toilet, and there isn't even a chance that will be tolerated by my mother.
5. Crate (WIRE or PLASTIC?)
6. Toys
7. Neuter appointment
8. More babygates. Ebay, here I come.
9. Grooming tools
10. More bitter apple.. I'm running out
11. Basic obedience lessons
12. ????

HELP with the list.. and advice. I'm going to memorize the house training sticky. *sigh* When you have a dog that doesn't know anything about homes, is it okay to bring him right in? With supervision, on-leash? He'll be crated when I can't directly supervise him, and be taken out to the bathroom every hour. To start the crate training.. links/stickies/advice. Crate's gotta be fun, but there will be times he's going to have to go in it.

Him + cats? He's never shown a real prey drive towards them, just wants to stick his nose up their butts and play with them (like they are dogs). They are going to have to be separated at first, that's imperative. And Chili scares dogs. She growls, snarls, and herds them about. Tom and Emma are fine. How will I deal with that besides separation?

Switching him over to a new food... I'm just going to go for a good brand atm, whatever works. We'll worry about diet when I know more about his activity level and metabolism. Innova or Canidae, something like that.

I plan on having him home by this weekend. At the very latest, next Tuesday.

And he's not going to be given up for anything. Unless, by the end of the summer, it's truly in his best interests. But I don't understand how we could be worse than where he is living now. I just.. don't want to have another bad experience like with Garnet. He's the lovely little red Dobe we adopted in February.. but it didn't work out... he had too much energy for us, and I was too sick to cope. We had to give him back to DAR&E, where he was adopted by someone else. I don't think I've ever cried so hard in my life. And this will not happen with Midnight... I will find some way to cope..

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I suggest a wire crate. Some dogs will chew plastic and him not knowing crates, who knows what he might do. Are you going to give him a bath? It may be a few days before you can get him into a groomer so you may want to plan on it. Also, you can't give a bath within 2 days of giving Frontline, so prepare for that.

You have your work cut out for you! But thank goodness this poor guy will be going to a home where you can love and take care of him. goodluck!

noludoru

Bored Now.
I'm getting the frontline tonight and applying it (hopefully) tonight. I'm going to get proof of rabies vaccs/etc from his owners when I ask them, which will be tomorrow or the next day. As soon as I see proof of those vaccinations, I will make the appointment.

Plastic is what I was leaning towards... thanks for confirming my worries there. :)

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Oh, and a couple of things to add to your list -

Dog food (sounds obvious but when I first got Charlie I got him home and realized I had gotten every single thing in the world, EXCEPT something to feed him! Back to the store it was!)

Treats for training sessions

And make sure you get him tested for heartworms and on a preventative, if he isn't already.

noludoru

Bored Now.
THANK YOU!!!!! This is why I need you guys. <hugs Charliesmom and Tucker>

I have the camera. I'll post the few pics I have of him. :( They are not happy.

Heartworm preventative... I coulda sworn dog food was on my list... Vets check for heartworm, right? And preventative won't hurt if the dog has it? I know he's not on any.

Treats.. I have small assorted foods in my house, tiny bits of stuff here and there should suffice for now.

Maxy24

This is great of you! He MIGHT have to be outside for the first few days :( I wouldn't want him getting your other pets sick or giving them ticks. Do you have a spare room or a garage (that is safe and chemical free) that you can keep him in until the ticks die and he goes to the vet? Good luck, get some good training books and take some pics. I can't wait to see how he progresses!

~Tucker&Me~

No worries!

I'm excited for you! He will be so greatful.

Did you say what breed he is? For some reason I keep thinking lab...? LOL

~Tucker

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Yes, the vet does the heartworm test. They will have to take a blood sample to do it but it is pretty cheap. You cannot put him on a preventative until the test is done. If he has heartworms and you put him on something, the heartworms could die in his heart and cause big, big problems.

Cheese or hotdog pieces always work for treats at my house!

noludoru

Bored Now.

We do have a spare room, it's just in use now. I'm cat-sitting Tiz and Winslow, and the room is theirs, I'm afraid. I'm hoping if I grease the wheels a little for a good groomer they'd be willing to nab any ticks they see off of him? And the frontline will be on for a few days before I bring him home. I'm not going to mention anything till at least tomorrow, when I have things more prepared.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sorry guys, my internet is redefining the word "lag." He's 1/2 springer, 1/2 Heinze57. His da could possibly have some sort of APBT or Amstaff, that is what I'm thinking b/c of his dad's head. He mirrors his dad in every way. Only his muzzle and the white on him is from his mom.

noludoru

Bored Now.
Sooooooooooo...

I got a crate (just big enough for him.. I think it'll be perfect), a mat (which I'll be returning b/c they RIPPED ME OFF! $40 for that cheap little thing? I want my money back.. the label said 15), a stainless steel bowl, several balls, some bully sticks, some other toys, frontline which is now on him.. and.. I can't remember. There was more. I didn't get my whole list though.

Leash 'n collar will be next.. along with food... I'm making an appointment at the vets, and an appointment for a neuter. I need to call the groomers and ask EXACTLY what they need proof of.. so I can get it at the vets if necessary.

I got my mom's okay on things. I actually got her to suggest it herself. :D And I'd love to smugly state that I'm just "that good" at talking people over, but I'm not sure how I did it, to tell you the truth. So she's all for it.

I just have to wait till this weekend. Ron and Debbie will be home, and I want them as witnesses. I also need them to make sure his owners don't go out and get ANOTHER puppy. :mad: I just don't want to talk to his owners and then have them mention it to the kids who will probably throw a fit or something. I doubt that'll change their mind, though. But still.

I took him, Missy, and Sabrina on a long walk today and got loads of pics. I'm uploading them in a bit.. so be prepared for many more pictures..

Now.. someone tell me it'll all go well... :(

mrose_s

BusterLove
it'll go well

when are you planning to ask the owners?

if there are problems, you can always call the council and tell them thatthis persons dogs is being treated cruelly - having no water shoudl get them in trouble.

i'm so glad your taking him on, he looks like a happy boy despite what he's been through.

and with ticks, it shouldnt be hard to get them off yourself. places to watch out for are between the toes, ears, under tail etc.
getting your fingernails or tweezers right down and pull them out by the head should be right and you can drown them in hot water or just squash them quickly (wanna hear soemthing gross? our dogs like the taste of a squash tick, because of the blood that comes out)

so happy for you :) hope all goes well

noludoru

Bored Now.
He's such a wiggler that it's very hard to get ticks out, and I'm highly squeamish about them. They make my skin crawl, and sometimes I can't even stand to pull them out. He has one of the rim of hi eye--no way I even want to try to take that one out. Hopefully the frontline will get everything.

I talked it over with my mom.. we're going to ask them on Sunday. A lot later than I'd hoped, but that will give me time to talk it over more with her (she's been falling asleep the second she gets home every night) and schedule appointments. Ron and Debbie--their landlords--will be home, and they're going to be my 'witnesses' in signing him over. *sigh* I guess I can wait, though. But by then my nails are going to be a tattered mess.

Good luck to you! It certainly sounds like her deserves so much better! He's a handsome boy!

Sounds like you have things covered! As far as the ticks go, I'm sure the groomers can take them off for you (if any are still attached). Not sure if there would be an extra charge though, so that's something you may want to ask when you make the appointment.

Best of luck, and keep us posted!

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
First off, let me just say what a good soul you really are! This sounds like something that is meant to be and it doesn't get any better than that. For both of you.

Secondly, let me tell you that when I got Tosca I knew NOTHING about raising a dog. It was Chaz that educated me. The same will happen to you. So do not worry. There are people on Chaz who can help you with just about anything and help make things a success for wonderful, loving you and that poor dog who is about to have a change of luck.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Him + cats? He's never shown a real prey drive towards them, just wants to stick his nose up their butts and play with them (like they are dogs). They are going to have to be separated at first, that's imperative. And Chili scares dogs. She growls, snarls, and herds them about. Tom and Emma are fine. How will I deal with that besides separation?
I will help you deal with this. You will introduce them slowly in increasing intervals, supervised. Don't worry about Snarley. It's all part of the game so long as she doesn't hurt the dog--and I am betting she won't. We will talk in PM as you need me.

noludoru

Bored Now.
TM.. I love you. :) <3<3<3 Really. If you were here right now you'd be getting one of those bone-breaking hugs that I like to give unsuspecting people. :) Thank you so much...

Members online

No members online now.