Newbie Breeder EXPECTING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiBree

Well its day 62 this morning my Chi's temp went to 98.6, her average is 99.9 in the AM, and 100 in the PM. NOW WHAT???

R

RedyreRottweilers

Be ready for puppies.

If you witness nesting, panting, and contractions, expect a puppy in no longer than an hour.

More than an hour, get to your vet.

ChiBree

Everyone starts somewhere! I know what comes next....just looking for others advice. I'm working closly with my vet and two 30 year breeders. Her temp was 98.6 at 6:18am and then went to 99.2 at 1:30pm today. MY vet said this is normal and after the "drop" the temp goes back normal., and that she is on her way and should be 12 to 24 hours. Is this correct?

ChiBree

Red, I guess thats why I was asking becasue she is showing absolutly no signs yet. Just sleeping on my lap :) She's eating her treats and no nestiong is being done.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I would say once she stays under 99 in the PM, be ready.

Good luck.

You know about sections, eclampsia and that then?

ChiBree

Oh yes! I've read until I'm blue in the face :) I've been preparing for the whole 62 days.
So your saying this morning temp drop isn't it?

stevinski

Int CH - $uperBitch
all i can say is be ready for a C-section if nessersary!!!!
and GOOD LUCK!!!
keep us informed!

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Im not here to critisize... I started somewhere too. Keep a close eye on her. Watch for nesting behavior such as digging in clothes or going into dark places like behind your couch or under your bed. Sometimes their temp can drop and then go right back up again so keep taking her temp to see if it stays low for a while. But at day 62 shes most likely ready and will deliver, most likely within the next 15 hours. What I usually do is put my ready to whelp females in an ex pen in the corner of my bedroom and put the blinds down so it is quiet and dark. Get some clean towels ready for her to lay on while she whelps. Get a few towels because you will have to change them periodically because they get dirty really quick. Also get a few face clothes to clean the puppies off with. She will do it herself but it is good to dry them too. You might want to get a sterile set of nail clippers or scissors to cut the umbilical cords. She will also do this herself but its better if do it since this is her first litter? (Correct me if I am wrong). If you let her do it she may bite them off too short and the puppy will bleed a lot. Make sure you cut the umbilical cord off about an inch and a half or two inches from the belly, then pinch the cut end of the umbilical cord for about a minute. Watch to make sure it doesn't start bleeding again. You may also want to get a basket and put a heating pad turned on low or hot water bottle in the bottem covered with some soft towels so that you can move the puppies into it while the female is delivering the next puppy. That way you eliminate the chance of the puppies getting squished while she delivers. Not all dogs are that careless but some are. In between deliveries you can give the pups back to her. Also please understand that some dogs get very protective the minute they deliver the first pup. She may not want you any where near her. If thats the case step back and watch and if you see her having any problems then step in. And please DO NOT GIVE UP ON A PUPPY. If they come out and they are not breathing it DOES NOT mean that they are dead. Put them in a face cloth and rub them vigorously. If that doesnt work then wrap them in the face cloth, cup your hands around the puppy with its head facing away from you, stand up, put the puppy above your head and kind of fling it towards that ground. MAKE SURE YOU HANG ON!!! AND SUPPORT THE PUPPIES WHOLE BODY! and then rub the puppy again. I have worked on puppies for 20 minutes like this and they finally came around and were fine. If you have any more ?'s or need some more help email me @ [email protected] and I will send you my phone number. Best of luck.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Yes, if the temp does not stay under 99, you likely have some time left.

BUT DON'T LEAVE HER AT THIS POINT.'

Best of luck, and keep us posted.

ChiBree

Save - thanks for all the advise! I've got my basket of supplies all ready, including everything you stated. I have two Whelping videos I've watched over and over and over :)
My main concern now is just When! Of course I work and took today off as soon as her temp dropped. So I have to try and juggle my normal work life in as well. I've just read over and over and told by my vet that once the temp dropped, it would be 12 to 24 hours. But when it went up this afternoon to 99.2 (it was 98.6 this morning) I was puzzled. My Vet told me this was the process and she was proceding. He said that the temp only drops for 12 hours or less then returns to normal. So am I correct in thinking she will deliver anytime between today and tomorrow?

ChiBree

RedyreRottweilers said:
Yes, if the temp does not stay under 99, you likely have some time left.

BUT DON'T LEAVE HER AT THIS POINT.'

Best of luck, and keep us posted.
Do you know how much time? Is it still 12 to 24 hours?

R

RedyreRottweilers

That is entirely up to your bitch.

They don't read the books or watch the vids.

:D

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I would definately say.....expect puppies soon!!! The main thing to look for is the behaviors and such. That is a sure sign. Keep us updated.

ChiBree

stevinski said:
all i can say is be ready for a C-section if nessersary!!!!
and GOOD LUCK!!!
keep us informed!
Why do you think she'll need a c-section? I know there is always that possibility and my vet is on call for me if I have problems and he has givin me all the quidelines on when to call. His instructions were if after 4 hours of contractions and no pup- CALL. If after 2 hours and no second pup - CALL If 10 minutes of a pup crowning - CALL.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I agree, that the possibiliy is definately there. I breed Chihuahuas and Pomeranians. I have had to have C-sections on all of my bitches---both breeds.

R

RedyreRottweilers

NO NO NO.

DO NOT let your bitch go for more than an HOUR in active labor with hard contractions.

4 hours and you will have a dead bitch.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

Yeah, definately no more than an hour in hard labour. Wait any longer (especially with a small dog) and you will be in trouble.

ChiBree

Thanks for the info. I'm soooo hoping everything goes ok with her and she doesn't need a c-section. How accurate are ultra sounds? I had one done 2 - 3 weeks ago and my vet did one free of charge just to see the pups. He didn't shave her or lay her out, just did it while standing. We only seen two pups. But she's pretty big and when feeling her belly. we seem to feel more than two pups in there! Also I showed a breeder friend of mine who's been breeding 30 years and she also said she look like she's carrying more than two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.