Just switched to Innova......

J

john doe iii

I just switched to Innova puppy for my 14 week old Poodle mix. She was previously on IAMS puppy. I did a 25/75 ratio on her first meal this morning.... I litteraly counted each kibble when I did the mix.... BUT the strange thing is, SHE ONLY ATE THE INNOVA AND LEFT THE IAMS IN THE BOWL????? I counted back what she left and she ate 4 IAMS kibbles and devoured the entire 25% of INNOVA.

Does this mean I can expect some diareahha? Any other tips you can give for a smoother transition?

Saje

Island dweller
She knows what she needs and what's good for her. A lot of the time when you 'upgrade' food you can just change it over. Every dog's system is different. If she's fine I'd just throw away the Iams and feed her Innova. BTW counting kibble is a little odd lol. In a cute way of course.

mojozen

bullie lover
You know slightly off topic - but when I switched my boyfriend's hedgehog's food from the hedgehog kibble to California Natural cat food, he did the same thing. He just ate around the hedgehog food and only ate the cat food. We ended up throwing out the rest of the hedgehog food completely.

We switched because most commercial hedgehog food is really not appropriate for hedgies, who are insectivores, since they are mostly made up of sugar and grains. Our hedgie actually stopped having gastro-intestinal problems once we made the switch and has put on quite a bit of weight without eating much food. This has made us very happy...

Fran27

My dogs went crazy when they got innova the first time too. Anyway, in your case, I think that you should expect some diarrhea either way, so I would go ahead and switch to innova now, and just add some canned pumpkin once a day just in case.

Saje

Island dweller
Pure canned pumpkin, not the pie filling ;)

I miss having hedgehogs!

J

john doe iii

Saje said:
BTW counting kibble is a little odd lol. In a cute way of course.
haha ... I had to... the measurements were .04 for the entire day... So I was expiermenting on how many kibbles that would be in case I asked the kids to feed her... I couldn't find the correct measuring cup at the time... :)

Big difference from the 1-1.5 cups a day of IAMS.

Saje

Island dweller
I had Harley (the hog) and Hamlet. lol We didn't have either very long. They were both rescues. I've learned a lot since then and would love to have them again. especially putting them on a good diet!

J

john doe iii

Now I have a large bag of IAMS puppy left ..... any suggestions? Maybe give it to the kennel or something?

mojozen

bullie lover
john doe iii said:
Now I have a large bag of IAMS puppy left ..... any suggestions? Maybe give it to the kennel or something?
You could call and ask your local shelter. Or if you have something like freecycle in your area post it on there.

Not many people will take open bags of dog food however.

Members online

No members online now.