APDT C.L.A.S.S. program

Danefied

This is a great program, though I don't think APDT has done a good job advertising it!

About Canine Life and Social Skills

http://mydoghasclass.com/docs/student/student_handbook.pdf

The PDF gives a lot more details, including the actual tests starting on page 38. I really like how the tests are designed, it really is real life skills. Walking on a loose leash while handler holds a cup of coffee or a large package, prolonged eye contact, waiting for command to get in and out of a car, waiting at doors, not just stay, but "settle", leave its, take and drop.

Even if you don't take the actual test, this is a great guide for what behaviors to teach for wonderful manners in a companion dog.

Yes, I will be testing our guys at some point :)

Edit: this is a link to the tests in general (three levels)
Real-Life Relevance of the C.L.A.S.S. Program

Maxy24

That looks like a great program, I'm surprised I've never heard it mentioned before, is it new? I too like the types of tests they're doing, the BA level similar to the CGC in some ways but I like the addition of more manners type things (wait, settle down, leave it, drop it) plus it has harder upper levels, but they're practical. I also like the knowledge test that the owner has to take, I think it shows they really care about their cause, the owner is just as, if not more important, than the dog when it comes to bad/dangerous behavior. Seems like a great idea... if only Tucker didn't hate people :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.