Dog is scared to go outside??????

radar08

Hi guys,
I have a mixed breed GSD and Pharoah hound. I have had him for 8 months, and he is 13 months old. I have a problem with him, and it worries me. He was fine getting in a car for the first 7 months we had him, in fact he loved it. Then one day he decided that he would not get into the car, no matter how much coaxing, and treats he wouldn't move. Now at 8 months I am having the same problem with him going outside. We were having a BBQ the other night and he was fine, when out of the blue he started tugging real hard on his run. Almost frantically. So I took him off the leash, and he wandered around the yard. Since then he won't go outside. He will go as far as the porch, and just sit there. I have to pick him up and carry all 70 lbs of him into my backyard. He seems really docile, and has kept his ears back most of the time, and almost seems skittish. I have never hit my dog, nor yelled at him, and I don't understand what is going on. I have had 4 beagles, a red bone hound, an irish setter, and a husky, and have never seen anything like this. Can anyone give me any advice on what I should do? Thank you if you can.

radar08

I guess it is always a possibility. It was at night, but any thing is possible. He is a shelter dog that was a stray, so i wonder if maybe that has to do with any sudden fears.

radar08

I have checked him over as far as being hurt, and he doesnt seem to be favoring anything. He is eating fine, that is really the only time he gets up and goes crazy like he used to.

Something may have triggered a bad memory for him.

Try not to make a big deal out of it, that only reinforces his fears.

You might try some Bach's Rescue Remedy to help get him over the severe anxiety so you can work on desensitizing him to going out in the yard.

Also, work on fun training things that boost his confidence. Shiva was afraid of the dark for the longest time and it wasn't until I got her overall self-confidence up to par that she was able to get over it.

radar08

Thank you very much. I have to carry him, because if I pull on his collar he jerks back.

Can you put him on his leash, walk him out the front door, stroll around a bit, then try to go into the back yard through the gate?

Remember, baby steps. Don't try to force him. Lure him out, little by little. Let him sit just inside the door while you sit outside the door until he decides to come out with you. Give him a treat, but don't make it a big deal. When he wants to go back in, let him.

Next time, sit a little farther away from the door. Same drill.

Just keep it calm and ordinary :)

Barb04

Super Moderator
I agree about going outside with some treats. I would lay down on the ground with some treats near you and let him slowly come to you on his own.

Angelique

At first I wondered if it might be a bee sting, too. Or something he smelled. I've even heard of shelter dogs reacting to the smell of alcohol in their new home because they lived with somone previously who became "unstable" when they drank.

Did you resolve the car issue?

Hard to know everything without seeing the dog's behavior and how you are interacting with him, in person.

As long as the dog is otherwise healthy, I would do your best to move on from the moment by how you behave around him. Dogs know when we're nervous or tense. Talking in a high-pitched voice, standing stiff, moving quickly, or looking at the dog can add to the problem, IMO.

A dog must feel safe with you and in your decisions. This is a biggie.

Fears can be helped by getting him into another frame of mind. Having another dog around, who is not afraid, can be helpful. Tapping into his prey drive via sight stimulation might be another way to go. Treats are helpful as are treat hunting games. Don't push the treats on him if he's not interested, though.

Can you handle him on leash? Do you walk him regularly?

radar08

Well I have taken your advice, and he is getting better. During the day he bolts outside to play. I have started giving him his favorite treat (raw carrots) only outside now. I also started feeding him outside, and he is happy to go. Now it is only after dark that he doesn't like to go out. So What I have been doing is opening the door and running into the yard, and he runs right next to me. Once outside I give him his baby carrots, and he seems ok. I will just keep working.

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Well done! Sounds like you are right on track.
I am very glad you did not take the advice of pulling him outside!

Members online

No members online now.