Feeding raw AND kibble?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I think I've seen it round these parts of the board.. is it safe to feed your dog(s) raw and kibble in one meal? I thought that the two were digested differently and that meant it was not safe? Perhaps I am getting my information wrong?

Anyone? ;) TIA

~Tucker&Me~

^ I would also be interested in knowing this.

I would actually like to feed Tucker raw, but it isn't exactly cheap and with two kids in the house, isn't exactly safe. I would however, maybe consider doing one or two raw meals a week.
Would this be okay?

Sorry BP if this isn't what you are asking. If you'd prefer, I can delete my post ;).

~Tucker

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Not at all Tucker! :D

I am actually thinking of the raw diet for the boys....

yooooo hoooooo where are all the knowledgable raw feeders out there? ;)

~Tucker&Me~

Haha :).

When my puppy comes, I would also like to consider a raw diet, so I wouldn't mind getting some answers to this thread as well!

~Tucker

This exact question was just posted on another forum I frequent, and this was my reply.

Here are what a few different websites have to say about it:

Feeding Kibble and Raw at the Same Time: Raw passes through the dogs system in about 4-6 hours while kibble takes about 24 hours. The reason why raw food does not cause a problem with bacteria such as salmonella or e-coli is because it passes through the system so quickly. If kibble is mixed with raw meat it slows down the digestion and problems may occur.

Can I feed kibble AND BARF?

Yes you can, but seriously, why? OK, I know change can be difficult, so please allow me to explain. Kibble and raw food are digested differently, and should NEVER be fed together, in the same meal. If you feed dry kibble at the same meal as the raw meat, you are increasing the amount of time the food is in the body, and increasing the possibility of illness from microbes. So, if you want to feed half & half, feed kibble one meal, raw the next. Your dog will probably be the one who will let you know, before you do, that BARF is IN and kibble is OUT!
http://www.gopetsamerica.com/dog-hea...aq.aspx#kibble

Never feed raw meaty bones and kibble together. The kibble, as it is goes through the stomach, will puff up and form a protective barrier around the bones and may prevent the acid in the stomach from reaching the bone and properly breaking it down. Upon elimination, pieces of bone may be evident. During the transition the dinners or the ground meaty bones can be fed with the kibble as the bones are finely ground. Ideally they would not be fed at the same meal as they do digest at different rates.
http://www.freshpetfood.ca/making the switch.htm

And a little bit about carbs and digestion: We humans have an enzyme in our saliva which starts digesting carbohydrates as soon as we start chewing (and we love our carbs!). Dogs, however, do not have this enzyme, and don't start to digest carbohydrates until they reach the stomach, with most of the digestive functions taking place in the small intestine after passing through the stomach. The high percentage of carbohydrate in most dry dog food kibble leads to situations where the food stays in the system longer (8-12 hours) - and I've been witness to a Great Dane barfing up her kibble 12 hours after eating it - mostly whole and undigested! This tells me the kibble sits in there way too long, which is one of the reasons you should not feed raw meat mixed into kibble. Some are finding they can do a kibble meal in the morning and a raw meal in the evening, but if the kibble is still in the stomach when the raw meal is devoured, you may end up with an ill canine, or a large splat on your carpet! (and by the way, some advice from a friend of mine - a green tripe stain is VERY difficult to remove!)
http://www.kaboomboxers.com/kaboomboxers_health.htm

It seems the general consensus is the concern over the different rates of digestion. I wouldn't do it, personally.

That was my post. I have always heard it was not a good thing to do, I'd love to hear more about the reasons why.

showpug

It's perfectly fine to mix the two as long as your dog tolerates it. The digesting at different speeds is a myth. I feed raw mixed with kibble to my bulldog puppy. My pugs get one meal kibble and one meal raw. I use the Nature's Variety Raw Frozen patties which works out well for us and they are more convienient for me then traditional raw.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I can google it and come up with so many websites that say it's bad.. such as the ones that Shadow has posted... but I can't find anything that says it's okay?

I'm just curious.... if I do decide to feed raw.... I wouldn't want to jeopordize their health by doing something that could protentially be dangerous...

ack, I don't know if I'm making sense anymore today.. I'm so tired! :p Thanks for putting up with me.

showpug

I can google it and come up with so many websites that say it's bad.. such as the ones that Shadow has posted... but I can't find anything that says it's okay?

I'm just curious.... if I do decide to feed raw.... I wouldn't want to jeopordize their health by doing something that could protentially be dangerous...

ack, I don't know if I'm making sense anymore today.. I'm so tired! :p Thanks for putting up with me.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I started this exact same thread a while back and here is what Mordy wrote on the subject:

"Actually the claim that raw and kibble digest at different rates is a completely unfounded myth. Think about it - does any raw fed dog you know go outside and poop every 4-6 hours? Also, even raw fed dogs can throw up partially undigested food after 8-10 hours, and regurgitating occurs from the stomach, not from the intestines. Elimination is a continuous process, sort of like a conveyor belt. Try fasting a dog and see how long it takes before stools become significantly smaller because there's nothing in the intestinal tract anymore that needs to be processed.

It is true that some dogs do not do well when they are fed kibble and raw in the same meal, but it has nothing to do with different digestion rates of raw and kibble, and it also doesn't apply to every dog out there.

I know of enough dogs who are fed a mixed diet and doing wonderfully on it."
Posted By Mordy on the "Raw and Kibble" thread #8 post.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I knew I had seen it somewhere! Thanks Showpug!

That does make me feel better...

Now... if I want to slowly introduce the raw diet... oh nevermind, I bet that should be a new thread! :p

Members online

No members online now.