didn't return my leash

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Why is it when you try to help fellow dog owners in your community that are out trying to catch their dog and don't have proper equipment, and you run out and "loan" them yours, they never return it? I bought 5 leashes and 5 spare collars at the dollar store. They were all suprisingly good quality. I am using a bandana looped through Vic's collar to take him out now. There isn't a leash in the house. Now I gotta go knock on the door and ask for mine back!
I guess I could go back to the dollar store and re-stock up! I talked to Kelly ad she has had the same thing happen to her.

What can I say? People who are careless with their dogs are going to be careless about other things that have no value in their world.

I've got who-knows-how-many leashes. They disappear and reappear. Kharma takes them and hides them in her nests and they also hopscotch from car to car and car to house, lol! I've learned to keep their collars hooked over the front doorknob - the only way I can keep track of them. :rolleyes:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
oh well, I went to deals and restocked up. Don't know why leashes wont stick to me. if there wasn't a dollar store i'd be in real trouble. That is why I need to get this boy to heel without one. Mary doesn't need a leas. I put them on a hook by the door, on the door, dig them out of the car seats..i'm just pitiful...Vic goes everywhere I go cause I don't trust him home alone yet for more than five minutes. I haven't the heart to put hm in a crate...i think he spent to much of his young life caged...besides i am such a pack creature...it doens't feel right to be in the car alone. I am going to make a hood ornament of Vic pointing.That is what he does inside of the car..mary rides in the back and I always feel like I am "driving Msss Daisy"

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
it will be in packs on wheels..hey describe your pack on wheels and maybe I will meet you in a intersection while we wait on the light.....my mind is cookin on it.

Oh, the other day I lost my alleged mind and decided to take ALL the dogs with me. In the little, bitty 1985 318 BMW.

Bimmer sits up front in the passenger's seat with Shiva and Kharma in the back seat. Everything was okay until we got to the end of the driveway and turned onto the road - almost 1/2 mile, and the Collie across the street that always chases our cars came flying across the road, snarling and barking.

My tiny little 2-door car suddenly turned into the proverbial can of Whoop-ass! I had dogs barking, growling, snapping, gnashing teeth, jumping all over me, tails flying, all I could see was fur, tails and teeth.

The sound was deafening.

And I couldn't move.

They finally ended up, all three of them, with their front paws in my lap, rear legs in the passenger seat, heads snarling and slavering all over the driver's side window. It must have looked like I had three headed Cerberus in the car with me! I just had to stop the car, feel frantically for the hazard lights and shout and push for order.

I yelled at the Collie that I was going to open the door and let them out. The Collie slunk off. My rear view mirror popped out of its bracket in the fracas, but in a BMW it just pops right back into a bracket on the ceiling, so there weren't any fatalities.

Everyone was quite well mannered and quiet for the rest of the trip.

And the Collie hasn't chased my car since.

Everyone in my neighborhood seems to hate dogs, wait thats just my neighbor. I dont lend leashes but I'm always in need of some. Boomer, LOVES to chew them. I can give all the toys and treats in the world but he would rather chew a leash. I probably spent around 100 dollars getting new leashes until i said forget it. Now, i just buy rope from home depot and use that as the leash. :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Do you suppose it is because of the hand scent on your leash or is Boomer trying to make a statement about his opinion on leashes in general?
The new ones I bought at deals have some fancy kind of spring on them (doens't really do anything but looks groovy) and are the short variety. Today Vic and I were going down the road..he in his point position scouting out the squirrels when he began to do this funny hop from side to side..not easy considering his hind legs are stretched out and braced against the back seat. He has his body between the seats with his nose almost to the window. I realized that the spring had heated up in front of the vents...no wonder! Didn't change his point position though..I unhooked it quick so it would cool before we got out of the car. What a goof.

Debi

LOL Renee....what a visual. Somehow, I've managed to keep track of my two leashes. In the car Ham sits in the back...Addie, however is only content to be in the front and HAS to be looking over the steering wheel. Perhaps she doesn't trust my driving....:rolleyes: she's worse than my hubby. At least she doesn't have the need to hold on to something. ;)

UPDATE

I took Kharma out with me yesterday. When we got to the end of the driveway she was standing in the back seat, hackles raised, shivering with emotion, muttering something I couldn't quite catch that sounded like, "Yo, bee-yatch, poke your skinny, car chasin' yap out where I can see you!" It was hard to understand exactly what she was saying; when these Filas get angry or excited their speech tends to become rather heavily accented.

The Collie trotted out about a third of the way into the yard, intent on a chasing rendezvous with the truck coming up the cross street. About a third of the way across the yard she looked up and stopped in her tracks, then wheeled around on her back legs and made herself very, very small, crouching low to the ground to disappear back behind the house.

Kharma settled back on her haunches, hackles still raised, and I heard her muttering. All I could catch was something about "overdressed coyote-bait."

Kharma holds a grudge.

Debi

that's just TOOOOOOOO FUNNY!!!!! now, don't get me to laughing....I spit my tea on the keyboard again. :D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I just found three leashes on the other side of the bed..i like a short leash. The retractable ones are just about the dumbest thing I have ever seen..a dog should walk even with your knee...it is such a beauty to my eye to watch how Victor walks, watching his pretty head and feet right with me. His head is alert..his movement fluid. He high steps and paces me exactly.I have saved the last of my back muscles and under my shoulder blades by switching to a short leash. I watched two italian grayhounds knock this woman off balance...I told her to get shorter leashes, that she would have more control..and she said actually she was going for twice the line. Can you imagine trying to yank one out of the way of a car? I stop, Victor sits until the car passes. I have always moved to the side as soon as i hear one. He has come so far in 5 months I am as thrilled with this dog as my heart aches for my Bronki.
I once had to take a dog out of a kennel that he had been in for years without ever walking on the grass...just concrete and an exercise wheel. He was as cage crazy as they came. He was extremely muscled as any good jail mate would be...he circled and leaped to the top of the wall....to make this too long story short...He had to come to the shed where the vet was waiting to give heartworm tests. I wrapped the short leash firmly in my hand...opened the first door, and the sliding door, and then I flew. I summersaulted twice and came up on my feet just as we reached the barn. Then he had to go back. My muscles are just shot with tears from 20 years of kennelwork. Made me very strong though..a trip down memory lane...

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
I have two leashes, and then an attachment so I can attach both the dogs to one leash. My leash I got with Foxy is WAY too heavy for him (but he had been using it since he was a puppy). I immediately went out and bought him a new lighter blue leash and use Foxy's old leash for Hannah. Foxy's is all chewed up too (he thinks they taste good). He likes when I attach all the leashes together and make one big leash for him because then he can go from the porch to the front of the house, or from the porch to his favorite potty spot in the backyard. When I have Hannah out playing fetch I usually have all the leashes attached together so he can get a good romp too. None of my dogs particularly like riding in the car though. Hannah gets nervous and tries to climb into your lap while you are driving and Foxy starts shaking and whining so bad you feel bad for him.

Members online

No members online now.