Here goes again..the never ending project. THe teapot I had fired ok except for one small separation on the bottom foot from the base. Plus I shortened the spout to add the chickens, and I shortened too much. Soooooooooooo I am going to send this one so she can see I am still working on it, I have teapot number 6 a third of the way. I am doing something different so there will hopefully be no chance for pull away on the handle. I think the base just got too dry before I attached the handle and I rushed the drying process because I was so far behind and embarrassed. I can say one thing, I have learned so much in this project that has made me a better artist in the long run. Reds and blues that don't burn off in cone ten. THat I can mix them with a glaze and have it turn out exactly like I want with some shine. That the handles on the cups were too rough feeling, but a very thin coat of clear satin hardly shows, doesn't make it glossy, and feels a whole lot better to the touch. And so on, and so on . As long as they are patient, I am perfectly willing to keep trying until I get it right. I gave my word, after 2 broken bones, and a hurt neck, I am just about back up to my normal self and am at it again. My cats are better, I am most pleased I think with the last two I put on the handles of the cups and have had good response back from people on facebook that are willing to give me their opinions. THat is priceless. The cups are in the gas kiln now. THe teapot one, is ready to deliver, the better teapot is in the tin being worked on, as well as the coop. When I get it all together I will post and see what you all think.
I still made a couple other easier things for the auction this year and was over the top happy that the auction brought in a hundred and five thousand dollars for the shelter, the highest amount so far. And I have ideas, like my tambourine bank cat that I made a small version to test out my idea. It came out well I think, so I will be more able to do a larger version for 2015.
My friend Cindy joined in this year, recruiting other artists is a part of my participation too. SHe made a lovely heron stain glass piece and is already thinking of what she can do for next year. It is really fun to have a friend not only join in, but come to the auction with me. So back to work. Cross your fingers number 5 is the charm.
I could fill that space in the foot with an epoxy or something and make it not show, but, if someone ever put it in the dishwasher, that would be that. She said they don't drink tea, and that it is a decorative item, but still. IF it is a teapot, I think it ought to be able to serve tea.
the coins slide right down with a satisfying clunk. I didnt' burnish the color in because that satin clear works so much better. He hasn't been bisque fired yet, so time will tell. My harmonica cat turned out ok, so he should. But I never count on anything.
THe lady I am making this for paid the clinic directly for my dogs heartworm test and tabs, plus half of Neccy pts appointment. I am forever grateful and trying to do the best I can. She recently found out one of her yorkies like MR. Shaffer has developed cancer. I will be doing both dogs.
I might do one for the auction next year as well. Each time I do one, it goes a little faster, and turns out a bit better. My friend Cindy as two yorkies as we4ll and she brought me clay and the blue mason stain I needed. So I have 3 to make yet if this one turns out ok, 4 if I do one for next year's auction.
Not fired yet as well in photo.
This is the slowest medium with no promises of outcome. Sighs. Not doing backflips about this firing. Trying to figure out, what was different from last time. I had a different brand of B mix, and apparently it was more porcelain than anything else, because I lost a warm tone to the surface. It might be the firing, who knows. Frustrated. I lost a lot of color and I don't know why.
I really wish these had that warm undertone. REally wish they had, I am disappointed.
THe blue I was told would not burn off, didn't burn off, it turned almost black. So that tiny speck of blue I wanted for eyes is just not there. IT doesn't look wrong, but but but but it isn't what I wanted. THe cup isn't completely comfortable in my hand either, which is not what I wanted. The color burned off of something on the face bowls I am making fo a totem for my friend too. When I have a good firing I am on cloud nine. WHen I have one like this, I wonder why I do this in the first place .Ever. Of course the good b mix comes from a place far away, and the one I got here, I can get in KC. Just figures. AT least the inside of the Lucy cup wasnt' what I planned, but it looks fine. Not wrong. There is only one firing once a month, so I won't know if I have the answer until the end of Nov.
FORTH..FIFTH? I have lost track, all I know is I am going to keep trying until I get it right. I attached the legs differently this time, and I will dry it differently too, with a loop of wet clay around the joints to make them dry last. That is what I did with the duck's beak to keep it from pulling away as it dried, and it worked very well. Please let this one be the one.
And this is why, they all must be put in containers
I broke the face, but he has had more than his share. I think he makes things clink together at night just to see me rise up and holler STOP THAT.
The ramp keeps him away from the computer vent and wires, my mason stain, and my table. It is now his favorite hang out.
THis leaves I think, one cup with one cat, and something with two chickens. Maybe something to rest a tea ball or bag on. I am two chickens shy of the whole business being done. So close..so far.:rofl1: