Can a dog be vegitarian?

Saje

Island dweller
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
23,932
Likes
1
Points
38
#61
If you feel that way then maybe you shouldn't have a dog. How will you feel if it kills a gopher or bird on your walks? If you don't want to give your dog the best care then maybe you it's not the right pet for you. Rabbits are AWESOME pets ;) And like it's said before dogs can survive on all kinds of food but I love Mordy's quote on her website:

I've always fed __ food to my dog and he did just fine
While there is nothing wrong with feeding a particular food if your dog does well on it and you feel comfortable feeding it, the question is whether you have a basis of comparison and whether the formulation of the food has changed over time. I have seen the effect a better food can have on my own dog. When I adopted him from the shelter, he was a thin little puppy with a brittle coat and a rather strong "doggie odor". I didn't know better yet, fed an average quality food and thought the change in his appearance was stunning, except for the severe reactions he still showed whenever he picked up the occasional flea and got bitten before it died. He had gained weight, the odor improved and his coat was softer and shinier. I was happy and didn't think that any further improvement was possible - until he had been eating a really high quality food for about a month. His allergy to flea bites disappeared entirely, the muscle tone became much more defined, his coat even glossier, softer and most important, much, much denser. The doggie odor vanished.

If I hadn't at least given the better food a try, feeding it long enough to see results (depending on the individual dog this takes about 4-8 weeks), I would still have been convinced that my dog "did just fine" on the lesser quality food. Now I clearly see the difference between "doing just fine" and truly thriving. Every step up the "quality ladder" will bring improvements, the stray dog who used to survive mostly on garbage will do better once he gets a daily ration of even a relatively cheap food because it supplies more essential nutrients; and a dog who was fed a grocery store brand is guaranteed to improve on a better quality product as well.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=myths

You can't make all animals vegetarians but what you can do is look for meat sources where animals are treated humanely. You will never take carnivores/omnivores out of the food chain. They are a necessary part of the circle of life whether we like it or not.
 

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
3,868
Likes
0
Points
0
#62
Herschel, I grew up in an agricultural area and spent many years working on our neighbor's farm. I've helped feeding animals, milking cows, assisted with giving birth and slaughtering - the whole spectrum.

If livestock is raised and treated humanely, frankly, I don't have a problem with them becoming food at some point. I'm also not against people hunting or fishing as long as it's done humanely and not simply for sport but for food.

I would rather see people not having pets like cats and dogs if they don't want to feed them meat, rather than forcing them to eat an artificially designed diet. To say it plainly: if you are a vegetarian, buy a pet that's a natural herbivore rather than subjecting an innocent animal to your own morals.
 

Herschel

New Member
Joined
May 16, 2006
Messages
3,303
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
East Central Illinois
#63
Humanely is one thing and reality is quite different. I have very few problems with people raising their own animals for consumption, but I have several issues with factory farming. Is the majority of meat-based dog food made from naturally fed, humane foods or from mass-produced, tortured, antibiotic/preservative filled franken-meat?

Mordy, you've been so intelligent about this thus far, I wish you wouldn't let your emotions get the best of you. I have stated very clearly that my puppy will be maintained on meat-based dog food (Wellness Super5Mix Puppy--probably the best available in my area). What is so wrong with a vegetarian owning a non-herbivorous pet?
 

Saje

Island dweller
Joined
Dec 26, 2004
Messages
23,932
Likes
1
Points
38
#64
Herschel said:
Humanely is one thing and reality is quite different. I have very few problems with people raising their own animals for consumption, but I have several issues with factory farming. Is the majority of meat-based dog food made from naturally fed, humane foods or from mass-produced, tortured, antibiotic/preservative filled franken-meat?
that is why ethical people need to do their research. It isn't that hard to do

Mordy, you've been so intelligent about this thus far, I wish you wouldn't let your emotions get the best of you. I have stated very clearly that my puppy will be maintained on meat-based dog food (Wellness Super5Mix Puppy--probably the best available in my area). What is so wrong with a vegetarian owning a non-herbivorous pet?
where is mordy getting run by her emotions! :confused:

I think the answer to your last question is already in this thread many times.
 

Herschel

New Member
Joined
May 16, 2006
Messages
3,303
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
East Central Illinois
#65
Saje said:
where is mordy getting run by her emotions! :confused:

I think the answer to your last question is already in this thread many times.
Mordy said:
To say it plainly: if you are a vegetarian, buy a pet that's a natural herbivore rather than subjecting an innocent animal to your own morals.
Why can't a vegetarian feed a dog a meat-based diet? Saje, please show me the answer, I can't find it in this thread for the life of me.
 

Herschel

New Member
Joined
May 16, 2006
Messages
3,303
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
East Central Illinois
#67
Saje said:
That wasn't your question

this was your question:
What is so wrong with a vegetarian owning a non-herbivorous pet?

and the answer is that they can as long as it is happy and healthy

Here's one post with the answer:
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showpost.php?p=328635&postcount=31
Exactly.

However, Mordy said, "To say it plainly: if you are a vegetarian, buy a pet that's a natural herbivore rather than subjecting an innocent animal to your own morals."

Thus, I said that Mordy was just getting ahead of herself by making such a blanket statement.
 

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
3,868
Likes
0
Points
0
#70
Okay, so I worded that somewhat inappropriately. Let me correct it then:

If you are a vegetarian, and feel the need to force that animal to eat a vegetarian diet as well, buy a pet that's a natural herbivore rather than subjecting an innocent animal to your own morals.

Happy now? :)
 

bubbatd

Moderator
Joined
Nov 28, 2004
Messages
64,812
Likes
0
Points
0
Age
85
#71
I'm with you Mordy.... I have no problem with eating fish, beef,pork,chicken, lamb etc. When we were put on this earth , all animals ate animals. There are very few species that don't. Fine for those who are veggies ...it's their choice. Dogs want meat !
 

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Joined
Jan 26, 2006
Messages
22,560
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
39
Location
NC
#73
bubbatd said:
I'm with you Mordy.... I have no problem with eating fish, beef,pork,chicken, lamb etc. When we were put on this earth , all animals ate animals. There are very few species that don't. Fine for those who are veggies ...it's their choice. Dogs want meat !
Ditto ^
 
Joined
Oct 24, 2005
Messages
146
Likes
0
Points
0
#74
Mordy said:
Okay, so I worded that somewhat inappropriately. Let me correct it then:

If you are a vegetarian, and feel the need to force that animal to eat a vegetarian diet as well, buy a pet that's a natural herbivore rather than subjecting an innocent animal to your own morals.

Happy now? :)
Well stated. It's pretty hard to argue with millions of years of evolution.
 
Joined
Apr 10, 2006
Messages
148
Likes
0
Points
0
#75
I agree with the above. I didn't want to say anything, because it angers me to see vegetarians make their dogs eat a vegetarian diet...I think that is cruelty to animals.
 

joce

Active Member
Joined
Jan 3, 2005
Messages
4,448
Likes
0
Points
36
Age
35
Location
Ohio
#76
I live in a farming community and have helped with every aspect of the cows and pigs and chickens. Some of them are large scale farms and I still see nothing horrible going on.I'm not saying there is nothing bad but I'm saying knwo were your meat comes from.I don't feel I am a horrible person for feeding my dogs meat,I don't feel I am a horrible person for feeding ME meat. I knwo how my meat is treated and its the best it could be.

If you were raised eating unpastuerized milk and raw eggs then you'll be fine eating them. You develop an immunity to it and will be fine doing it while if you gave a raw egg to a frined who had never had one they may get sick. It doens't really ahve anyhting to do with bad plants.

If a person wants to be a vegetarian,thats fine.Great for them. But to push it on another person,even worse an animal(who can not object) is not something that makes any sence to me. Everyone should decide for themselves and I promise give a dog qa bowl of meat or a bowl of rice and it'll eat the meat.
 

Roxy's CD

New Member
Joined
May 17, 2006
Messages
3,016
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
Ontario, Canada
#77
Vegan Diet For Dogs?

Okay firstly, I'm not completely sure if this counts as dogs being vegetarians, but my dog cannot eat "meat". By "meat", I mean steak, pork chops, sausage, hot dogs....ahh but she can heat ham. If she eats any of the above the pukes within 5 minutes no matter how well cooked the meat is. Of course she would never turn down a steak but she will puke almost immediately after. She can eat "meat" kibble.
As for being strictly carnivorous I beg to differ. My pup eats grapes, lettuce, potatoes, canteloupe, watermelon and her personal favourite is strawberries. She also enjoys nuts like cashews, peanuts and almonds. I strongly believe that dogs are omnivores, could they survive on a strictly vegan diet??? Well, humans are omnivores and we can, but some may say vegans aren't as healthy as the average meat eater.... I thinks it's all in how you look at it, but no one can deny that dogs eat meat AND vegetables and fruits, so, in other words they ARE omnivorous.
As for a food for you possibly vegan dog you might consider Wellness. They have an Atlantic Whitefish and Sweet Potato formula. (as well as many other flavours)
 

Mordy

Quigleyfied
Joined
Jan 9, 2005
Messages
3,868
Likes
0
Points
0
#79
joce said:
If you were raised eating unpastuerized milk and raw eggs then you'll be fine eating them. You develop an immunity to it and will be fine doing it while if you gave a raw egg to a frined who had never had one they may get sick. It doens't really ahve anyhting to do with bad plants.
Actually it doesn't have much to do with developing an immunity, but with contamination. If there are no bacteria present, or only insignificant numbers, a person with a normal immune system won't get sick no matter if they grew up with raw milk/eggs or not. On the other side, if there are significant amounts of bacteria, like for example salmonella or e. coli, even a person who is accustomed to these foods can get sick.

However, it is true that people and animals who grow up without being shielded from all kinds of bacteria, spores etc. generally develop a stronger immune system overall.
 

Herschel

New Member
Joined
May 16, 2006
Messages
3,303
Likes
0
Points
0
Location
East Central Illinois
#80
Roxy's CD said:
Okay firstly, I'm not completely sure if this counts as dogs being vegetarians, but my dog cannot eat "meat". By "meat", I mean steak, pork chops, sausage, hot dogs....ahh but she can heat ham. If she eats any of the above the pukes within 5 minutes no matter how well cooked the meat is. Of course she would never turn down a steak but she will puke almost immediately after. She can eat "meat" kibble.
As for being strictly carnivorous I beg to differ. My pup eats grapes, lettuce, potatoes, canteloupe, watermelon and her personal favourite is strawberries. She also enjoys nuts like cashews, peanuts and almonds. I strongly believe that dogs are omnivores, could they survive on a strictly vegan diet??? Well, humans are omnivores and we can, but some may say vegans aren't as healthy as the average meat eater.... I thinks it's all in how you look at it, but no one can deny that dogs eat meat AND vegetables and fruits, so, in other words they ARE omnivorous.
As for a food for you possibly vegan dog you might consider Wellness. They have an Atlantic Whitefish and Sweet Potato formula. (as well as many other flavours)
Exactly! :)
 
Top