training

1. tacodog12

URGENT HELP NEEDED!

So I just got a new dog, Honey, and she is the most timid thing. She did really well with our one dog, Puna, but our older dogs, Thumper and Magic growl at her a lot. It wasnʻt an issue because she never retaliated. Sheʻs super clumsy and steps on the older dogs a lot. They snap and growl but...
  2. T

I'm a 20 year old male who is trying to train and bond with a dog scared of men. How do I do this?

Hi, First a little background: —Occupants of the house: Myself (20 years old), my father, Abbey (younger sister, 18 years old) and JJ, our cat. —Onyx and Abbey From the start, we wanted to adopt a dog for Abbey, as she always wanted one and was also slightly depressed so we figured that...
  3. J

Training Coon Hound to Invisible Fence

I really need some help and quick, I could use all advice given. My family has a Walker Treeing Coon Hound. Now there has been a lot of controversy in this house over the dog, which is my fault, I just had to have a dog and I finally convinced my mom to get me one. It's hard to explain...
  4. E

How to get dog to respond to vocal cues

Hi! I have a belgian malinois, she is very smart (no surprise) and picks things up super fast. She has a very busy and distractible mind, so I am working on teaching her tricks to help keep her attention when she she is losing focus between sessions at agility, fly ball, rally, etc. Plus tricks...
  5. StompinT

Is Karen Pryor online course worth the $?

X Post with General Discussion. I am considering doing the online Foundations course offered by the Karen Pryor Academy. It's $350, and it's supposed to take about 8 weeks. The obedience classes I attended with my shih tzu 11 years ago used clickers, so I am very familiar with the concept...
  6. H

Puppy housebroken...no longer housebroken?

I'm really hoping this is the right spot - I just made this account to see if I could get some advice. If it's not correct please tell me where I can post this. My 6 mo. Jack Russell Terrier has been potty trained for the last few months since we brought her home. We have a doggy door for her...
  7. Hannahbeth

Help With Crate Training a Rescue Dog

Hey guys! I've only posted on here a couple times -- but I'm in a bit of a predicament, and I need some advice. Here are the details: my mom's workplace is on an extremely busy highway, and last Monday a dog managed to make her way across the highway -- almost getting hit several times. My mom...
  8. J

My 17 week old puppy is very nervous

I have had my puppy about 10 weeks now or so, and she has always been very shy, and nervous.. especially around people she doesn't know. She is cool around me and my family, but if a new dog, or person comes around that she doesn't know she will get very tense. I also have a very hard time...
  9. C

Need some help!!!

Hey Guys, My boyfriend and I recently got our puppy Ninja on Craigslist from a really sweet woman who I guess couldn't take care of her due to family circumstances. Ninja is such a sweet puppy, a total love bug, not really aggressive at all, but oh man, is she stubborn. She's between 5-6...
  10. D

Dog Tricks by Dakota the Vizsla!

I have just recently posted my first video of my vizsla's dog tricks. I would love for some constructive feedback, tips and suggestions! My Youtube Channel is under Dakotakins12 but you can just search Dakota the Vizsla and my video will be on my channel :) Please watch it! I want to get my...
  11. M

Problem With Dog Walker

This issue is not actually with our regular-dog walker, but the dog-walker's boss who walked our dog today. We own a 6 1/2 month old pug named Bunk. He is crazy and weird and we love him to death. :mrgreen: Today, I received a text from our dog-walker's boss (he owns the dog-walking...
  12. M

Puppy officially knows when he is being bad

My puppy, Bunk, officially knows when he is being bad. As a general rule, we do not let Bunk into our room unless he is in his crate or we have him on our bed. Early today Bunk ran into the room after I left the door open and went right after my girlfriend's stuffed animals. The minute I walked...
  13. T

How to train dog to leave food?

Hi everyone. I have a very smart toy poodle. When I visit someone's house and they have a dog, they most often free feed their dog (have a dish of food out all day) which becomes a big temptation for my dog. So instead of enjoying the visit, I have to watch and make sure he doesn't eat the food...
  14. A

inside door digging

I recently got a dog from the humane society. She is an awesome dog, easily trained, ready to listen and please, and loves people. She has become attached to me like you would not believe. The problem is when I am at class. I put her in my bedroom when I leave, for many reasons, and it's not a...
  15. H

Training Your Best Friend!

I have tried many a-time, again and again, programs and lessons for training my dogs. Time and time again, they never worked. Why? Because the methods used were unaffective and didn't correspond with each dogs' problems, insecurities, or personality. I personally guarantee, the anwer is right...
  16. M

Can't get lab to jump into car

We adopted our new dog on Monday and that day he happily hopped into the back seat. We stopped at petsmart to buy dog bowls and after wards again he jumped right in. But then on Tuesday I had to take him to the vet and he refused to get in. My husband had to lift him in. After the vet visit...
  17. T

Dog trainers wanted

Are you an expert dog or cat trainer who’s seen every crazy problem under the sun? Tiger Aspect USA is looking for an animal trainer with a BIG personality for a new television series in development. If you specialize in treating dogs, cats, and other house-pets with peculiar problems and...
  18. S

Puppy Trouble

Well, he's not exactly a puppy. He just turned 1yr old a couple weeks ago. He's a miniature dachshund named Henry and we are having a lot of trouble getting him house broken. He has no problem going outside, but he refuses to (excuse me for being blunt) poop outside. His favorite place is in...
  19. C

Food is not a reward

I need some tips for training a one-year-old rescued foster dog who seems not to respond to food. He is very attention-deficit and easily distracted. We are trying to work on heeling and other basic obedience, but food is not an incentive for this dog. We've tried a variety of dog treats...
  20. Todax69

WOuld love to see other Dobies in action

If you've got one and have any videos of him/her, I would love to see them. I'm looking into getting into training as a late-in-life career change, and would love to specialize in Dobes. I have a great way of communicating with them and love their attentiveness and agility. Not that I don't like...