Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 05-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Take it from someone that works GSD's regularly. Showline kennels that advertise the best of everything have laid back, pretty dogs and the temps vary. They aren't cheap, most reputable show kennels are 2K and up easily for a puppy.

working lines, again you can get all sorts of temps, but why a working line would turn anyone off, especially somebody that wanted a GSD is beyond me. a good working line dog can be whatever you want it to be. Mine go with me everywhere from camping and hikes to parades and Home Depot. They play with kids, they play with me and lay around the house when its time. They also will do lots of other things most other dogs won't too, if you want them too.

and i've gotten dogs of all ages, from 8 weeks to 5-6 years old and in the end it's all the same concerning our bond and training. It probably won't matter cause the dad has his mind made up, but seriously the right dog for the family is the right dog.
Well said
Old 05-27-2009, 04:05 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
working lines, again you can get all sorts of temps, but why a working line would turn anyone off, especially somebody that wanted a GSD is beyond me.
all those scary bite sport pics
and, i imagine, all the emphasis on drive.

she wouldn't get a show line shepherd either, i don't think. what i'm afraid she'll get is a no line shepherd, bred for absolutely nothing.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
all those scary bite sport pics
and, i imagine, all the emphasis on drive.

she wouldn't get a show line shepherd either, i don't think. what i'm afraid she'll get is a no line shepherd, bred for absolutely nothing.
Working lines do have lots of drive but there always seems to be one in the litter with moderate drive and the nice thing about Wildhaus is he picks the puppy for you and he has a very good rep for getting it right.

The best thing about WL GSDs is that they are bred for stability and strength of nerve. This makes them more predictable and sound. Which I believe to be the most important thing when getting a dog (with physical health a very close second) especially a breed with size and traits of a guard dog.

I believe a moderate drive dog can be satisfied with long challenging games of Frisbee, it doesn't always have to be bite work or tracking.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

she needs to be introduced to good Shepherd people. If she lives anywhere near the breeder in PA she should go meet her and some dogs. She'll have a totally different perspective on the scary biting pictures and drive. and a good working breeder is going to have a dog with good temperment, but not enough drive to do the work and even dogs with lots of drive can be given normal everyday things that active people do to keep them happy. So many people equate drive with energy and they are not at all the same.

a dog with drive and an outlet in the form of runs, walks, two toy, tug, ob exercises can be a calm, calm dog on the house once it learns play outside from calm inside. Same as any other dog. A dog with no outlet will often have excessive energy from frustration. But there's lots of dogs that have no drive and energy coming out of their ears.

Quote:
I believe a moderate drive dog can be satisfied with long challenging games of Frisbee, it doesn't always have to be bite work or tracking
that is very true.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

This website is kind of annoying (unorganized) but if you can move past that they do their health testing and get these dogs temperament tested (if you go to the OFA website and type in the number it verifies their tests and scores and shows that they have their TT). I know nothing about the other letters after their names but it can't be a bad thing right lol: German Shepherd breeder E-Z Brook

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-31-2009, 08:51 AM
Felurian

Talk to DanL, too. He can point you in some good directions as well.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian